Cost of living increase on the news

mgsontour

I've just seen the news and was astounded by the fact the one of the several reasons the cost of living is sky high in their calculations along with an increase in gas, electric, petrol etc was AIR TRAVEL

Now I know I'm older and grumpier than our future politicians but when did air travel become a necessity rather than a luxury?

I wonder if we can add shooting it to our household expenses as a genuine cost rather than a pleasurable pastime 

2 hours ago, mgsontour said:

sky high in their calculations along with an increase in gas, electric, petrol etc was AIR TRAVEL

Now I know I'm older and grumpier than our future politicians but when did air travel become a necessity rather than a luxury?

Since when did attempts to measure inflation preclude non-necessities?

It's a contentious issue, no doubt, and some people have made entire careers out of it.  But nevertheless, the model will surely give a weighting factor to various commodities included therein?

Apparently, Bicarbonate of Soda was, for a long time included in the 'basket of goods' used to measure inflation, long after it fell out of favour as a household staple.

7 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

TSA is the worst and most inefficient security have ever in countered. 

You've clearly never experienced Standsted airport's chair moistener's who absolutely lost their minds when (admittedly rather stoopid) parents attempt to take plastic toy guns on in their hand-baggage, still in their retail packaging....

On 20/10/2021 at 22:17, udderlyoffroad said:

You've clearly never experienced Standsted airport's chair moistener's who absolutely lost their minds when (admittedly rather stoopid) parents attempt to take plastic toy guns on in their hand-baggage, still in their retail packaging....

I've experienced Stansted's customs staff almost get to the point of a jellied glove up m for having 400 fags in my suitcase.... whilst at the same time my mate strolls through unchallenged with 4,000 😦