Probably the best all round 4x4 pickup out there

Harnser

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely love my series 5 l200…..I’m not saying a Hilux might be better made, but they’re 10k more for the equivalent. 
The 4wd system alone makes it the perfect shooting truck, but with all the creature comforts you expect in a nice car.
Real shame they won’t be making any more in my opinion. 

On 23/10/2021 at 02:56, NoBodyImportant said:

I really want a Hilux but unfortunately our American overlords tell us they are not up to our crash test standards

See I'd prefer the Tacoma, but then again, Toyota UK doesn't sell them over here.  Actually I can see why Toyota do a different 'compact' model for North America, the market is so different.   Priced up a new one when I was last in the states whilst drinking my coffee one morning*, after seeing that just about every second vehicle was one. Damn you get a lot more for your dollar than we do on a Hilux.

Anyway, yes the L200's four-wheel drive system is pretty similar to the old Defender, only with solenoid actuation, not sloppy linkages.  Real shame Mitsubishi are pulling out of the European market.

*Yes I am that rock and roll

On 30/10/2021 at 12:45, Wilts#Dave said:

Absolutely love my series 5 l200…..I’m not saying a Hilux might be better made, but they’re 10k more for the equivalent. 
The 4wd system alone makes it the perfect shooting truck, but with all the creature comforts you expect in a nice car.
Real shame they won’t be making any more in my opinion. 

The series 6 though looks like a backwards step, less power and all the eco gubbins looks to be making them less reliable.  My series 5 has been my best one yet

Regardless of marquee or pick up, estate, suv or whatever they now wish to call them. All should have a low ratio gearbox not a dial for snow/sand etc. When in low gear mostly should be able just on tickover to tackle modest obstacles and obstructions. In other words low box, feet on the floor and steer through.

Unfortunately very few are now capable of that. Older Landies/Nissans/Lada, yes, Toyota maybe. Others No. Newer Landies(proper ones)/Toyota Hilux yes. Newer Landies/Toyota(car type)/ all Nissan and most others unlikely.

Nothing seems to be made to use off road nowadays unless you count parking on the verge outside school. They just have AWD not a proper low box.

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Regardless of marquee or pick up, estate, suv or whatever they now wish to call them. All should have a low ratio gearbox not a dial for snow/sand etc. When in low gear mostly should be able just on tickover to tackle modest obstacles and obstructions. In other words low box, feet on the floor and steer through.

Unfortunately very few are now capable of that. Older Landies/Nissans/Lada, yes, Toyota maybe. Others No. Newer Landies(proper ones)/Toyota Hilux yes. Newer Landies/Toyota(car type)/ all Nissan and most others unlikely.

Nothing seems to be made to use off road nowadays unless you count parking on the verge outside school. They just have AWD not a proper low box.

L200’s have a low box and centre locking diff, as well as being able to drive in 4wd at normal road speeds so ahead of or equal to most I’d say! 
Totally agree with all your points too 👍🏼

5 hours ago, al4x said:

The series 6 though looks like a backwards step, less power and all the eco gubbins looks to be making them less reliable.  My series 5 has been my best one yet

Agree! Had one as a courtesy car when mine was in for a service, ugly front end, interior no different and smaller lower powered engine with adblue. Just a quick facelift tbh, but less attractive in my opinion 😂

40 minutes ago, Wilts#Dave said:

L200’s have a low box and centre locking diff, as well as being able to drive in 4wd at normal road speeds so ahead of or equal to most I’d say! 
Totally agree with all your points too 👍🏼

I wasn't aware the L200 had the centre locking diff, they've gone up in my estimation.

Disco 1s had a manually engaged centre diff lock and disco 2s an electronic thingy ma jig but easily converted to manual as all the bits are already there.

On 31/10/2021 at 06:34, udderlyoffroad said:

See I'd prefer the Tacoma, but then again, Toyota UK doesn't sell them over here.  Actually I can see why Toyota do a different 'compact' model for North America, the market is so different.   Priced up a new one when I was last in the states whilst drinking my coffee one morning*, after seeing that just about every second vehicle was one. Damn you get a lot more for your dollar than we do on a Hilux.

Anyway, yes the L200's four-wheel drive system is pretty similar to the old Defender, only with solenoid actuation, not sloppy linkages.  Real shame Mitsubishi are pulling out of the European market.

*Yes I am that rock and roll

I want a hilux, no power widows, no power seats, no cameras, no heated steering wheel.  I want what the Taliban get.  

41 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I want what the Taliban get.  

A drone strike?  Oh, wait, sleepy Joe's too busy going potty in his pants in Scotland.  You're fine  😂

7 hours ago, Centrepin said:

disco 2s an electronic thingy ma jig but easily converted to manual as all the bits are already there.

Not quite.  The early disco 2s had a the same t-box with a centre difflock still in place, but nothing connected to the lever.  You could get a kit of parts to convert, or people fabricated linkages themselves.

In 5-odd years of Disco 2 ownership I managed to get away without a centre difflock.  Haven't used it much on the L200 either.

Frankly the biggest problem with D2s  as an off-road proposition, was sourcing some steel wheels to take some slightly better mud/all terrain tyres for a reasonable price.  Stud pattern different from previous Discos/Defenders.

Obviously the youngest D2 is now 17years old so, in the unlikely event anyone reading this thread thinks 'ohhh I'm going to look for one' - take a knowledgeable mate!

7 hours ago, Centrepin said:

wasn't aware the L200 had the centre locking diff, they've gone up in my estimation.

Missed my previous post then?  😂

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

A drone strike?  Oh, wait, sleepy Joe's too busy going potty in his pants in Scotland.  You're fine  😂

Not quite.  The early disco 2s had a the same t-box with a centre difflock still in place, but nothing connected to the lever.  You could get a kit of parts to convert, or people fabricated linkages themselves.

In 5-odd years of Disco 2 ownership I managed to get away without a centre difflock.  Haven't used it much on the L200 either.

Frankly the biggest problem with D2s  as an off-road proposition, was sourcing some steel wheels to take some slightly better mud/all terrain tyres for a reasonable price.  Stud pattern different from previous Discos/Defenders.

Obviously the youngest D2 is now 17years old so, in the unlikely event anyone reading this thread thinks 'ohhh I'm going to look for one' - take a knowledgeable mate!

Missed my previous post then?  😂

Mine was the face lift model, I managed with the traction control but my mate changed his over to manual said it was dead easy as linkage there. My Disco 2 was my daily drive  the Disco 1 a dedicated off roader.

AT2s on the alloys D2, Insa turbo special tracks on the D1. 

Yup, must have missed it. I'm afraid my Mitsi knowledge is directly related to recovering Pajeros from grass verges and car parks. 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2021 at 09:08, Centrepin said:

New Nissan Navaras all do, I don't own a new one but had a loan of one and it had low box.

4 hours ago, stumpy69 said:

New Nissan Navaras all do, I don't own a new one but had a loan of one and it had low box.

My sons did, it was quite capable off road too with Maxis bighorns on. Unfortunately it had too many plastic parts, like the bumper. It also suffered from body roll and sliding out on corners at even low speeds.

He part exchanged it for a new Hilux Invincible X which is almost as capable as a LR 110, but far far better in all other respects.