Exciting day, new gun

NoBodyImportant

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

That’s unusual! What will you shoot with it? 

Our hunting season over hear starts two weeks early for non gun weapons.  So if you hunt with bow/spear/muzzle loader you can hunt two weeks early on public park land. I have never hunted primitive before.  I will try to take a white tail deer this year as soon as I’m confident I can make a clean shot with it. 

1 hour ago, JTaylor91 said:

Can I visit?

Absolutely 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Should be great fun to shoot and maybe hunt with to.

I’m going to try it on a white tail this week.  

Hi that’s a nice gun. My friend has a flint lock shot gun, it’s a good sight watching him fire it. He puts fine powder in the pan sometimes it doesn’t ignite and he will change the flint . We once made lead pellets and used them in his gun, this is as basic as you can get. He shot rabbits with the pellets, no mention of chokes or plastic wads. We once shot pigeons across from a large sports field and when he fired the gun the lads playing football stopped to watch and cheered when he fired with a trail of power in the air. He thought they had scored a goal. He would slightly damp the pan with his fingers to help the power stick. Good luck with your gun. 

18 minutes ago, Gas seal said:

Hi that’s a nice gun. My friend has a flint lock shot gun, it’s a good sight watching him fire it. He puts fine powder in the pan sometimes it doesn’t ignite and he will change the flint . We once made lead pellets and used them in his gun, this is as basic as you can get. He shot rabbits with the pellets, no mention of chokes or plastic wads. We once shot pigeons across from a large sports field and when he fired the gun the lads playing football stopped to watch and cheered when he fired with a trail of power in the air. He thought they had scored a goal. He would slightly damp the pan with his fingers to help the power stick. Good luck with your gun. 

I casted some balls today.  I ordered 50lbs of explosive grade potassium nitrate,  10lbs of sulfur.  Going to the farm this weekend to cut some cedar trees to make up some blackpowder.  

385490E1-4603-47C8-A7A2-5E94CF8CCACA.jpeg

53 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Hi lovely gun. When you say "long" you really do mean long.😃

It’s medium length really.  It’s a 39in barrel.  American long rifles ran from 32-48in.    They look longer then they really are because compared to the Brown Bess they a very slender making them look longer.  The English bess was something like .75in cal and 11lbs.  These  are 32-50cal and 6-7.5 lbs.  lighter and superior range to the Brown Bess but the the the tight fitting ball was very slow to reload.  The Bess could fire 2.5 rounds to the long rifle. 

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

There are some things that I envy you colonials, your ability to choose and buy is one.

I can just imagine the postmans face if he had to deliver that in the UK, probably poo his pants

Before or after the armed response team arrived!😀

18 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Our hunting season over hear starts two weeks early for non gun weapons.  So if you hunt with bow/spear/muzzle loader you can hunt two weeks early on public park land. I have never hunted primitive before.  I will try to take a white tail deer this year as soon as I’m confident I can make a clean shot with it. 

Absolutely 

I’m going to try it on a white tail this week.  

It will do the job if you do. Best of luck just wish I was there to watch:good: Miss our trips to The States.

14 hours ago, Centrepin said:

There are some things that I envy you colonials, your ability to choose and buy is one.

I can just imagine the postmans face if he had to deliver that in the UK, probably poo his pants

It’s actually a mess.  Non firearms can be mailed to your house (muzzle loaders/ cartridge guns made before 1898 and or replicas)  

Then you have curio and relic guns, these are guns over 50 years old but NOT including replicas.  This are still considered firearms but can still be shipped to your door.  This one gets tricky a Colt ar15 made in 1971 can be mailed to you, but a Colt ar15 made in 1972 you have to mail it to a FFL and complete a background check in person.  

The exception to the rule is the CMP guns.  They can be mail ordered but you have to sign for them.  These are government surplus weapons that are sold to civilians.  I have bought several.  They don’t sell full auto guns but you can buy semi guns.  I was in a CMP a while back and they had good deals on Garands/ M1 carbine/ 1911 and other side arms and bolt guns.