Geolander - A/T or SUV

Novice

I'm currently running geolander SUV tyres on a subaru forester, which I understand to be the factory fit option. 

Looking to replace them fairly soon and wondering whether I might be better fitting geolander A/T? 

Does anyone have any direct experience of both versions, or similar? Attracted by possibly more off road capability in the A/T. However, not felt too undergunned with the SUV (I'm pretty cautious, mainly stone tracks, rides and greasy grass rather than full mud plugging) and worried that I'll sacrifice noise levels and fuel consumption over something I may never really need. 

90% of my driving will be tarmac, including 2 hours+ motorway driving to get to stalking grounds etc.

Opinions welcome!

Edited by Novice

Geolander A\T on my 4x4 Duster for last 7 years, wouldn't have anything else, on my 3rd set and last about 30,000 miles per set.

Not full mud pluggers, but a go anywhere tyre as good on road, tracks, grass and snow as you can get for a multipurpose tyre and mostly used in 2wd as 4x4 only required when it gets really tricky.

I've a subaru xv and swapped the worn out geolanders for Michelin latitude Cross which are slightly more off road biased than the standard suv yokohamas, but give good on road performance and economy. The standard geos are a good all purpose tyre, but I have found them to be prone to punctures so the a/t ones may be a better bet in that regard. They are both supposed to be m+s tyres, but I didn't rate the geos in the snow, against the Michelin I now have which are a proper all weather tyre.

As a point of interest for you, last season I had to use a 2wd VW Golf estate for my shoot bus for myself, a mate and the dogs so car was going to be full so with this dilemma spoke to a few tyre type people and ended up going for Yokohama BluEarth AW21 on the front 2 drive wheels

I have to admit I had issues with ground clearance, so some reversing and taking a slightly different line and didn't make it everywhere; again because of ground clearance but never got stuck which is todays 

Obviously the main roads/motorways were a great ride and virtually no tyre noise and handling in wet was perfect as for general driving in the summer there were no issues

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Had both on the X Trail. My off road is as yours and I didn't notice any difference. On the Yeti and on the recommendation of my tyre chappie that they have a good reputation for the wet and greasy grass bit, I have Michelin Cross Climates. I have noticed no difference except on the road.................

In a good way I presume? Any difference in mpg?

38 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

As a point of interest for you, last season I had to use a 2wd VW Golf estate for my shoot bus for myself, a mate and the dogs so car was going to be full so with this dilemma spoke to a few tyre type people and ended up going for Yokohama BluEarth AW21 on the front 2 drive wheels

I have to admit I had issues with ground clearance, so some reversing and taking a slightly different line and didn't make it everywhere; again because of ground clearance but never got stuck which is todays 

Obviously the main roads/motorways were a great ride and virtually no tyre noise and handling in wet was perfect as for general driving in the summer there were no issues

Thanks, I'd seen them but hadn't made the short list. Will bear them in mind.

2 hours ago, adzyvilla said:

I've a subaru xv and swapped the worn out geolanders for Michelin latitude Cross which are slightly more off road biased than the standard suv yokohamas, but give good on road performance and economy. The standard geos are a good all purpose tyre, but I have found them to be prone to punctures so the a/t ones may be a better bet in that regard. They are both supposed to be m+s tyres, but I didn't rate the geos in the snow, against the Michelin I now have which are a proper all weather tyre.

Again thanks. I'll take a look.

2 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Geolander A\T on my 4x4 Duster for last 7 years, wouldn't have anything else, on my 3rd set and last about 30,000 miles per set.

Not full mud pluggers, but a go anywhere tyre as good on road, tracks, grass and snow as you can get for a multipurpose tyre and mostly used in 2wd as 4x4 only required when it gets really tricky.

How do you find them for road noise and economy? I appreciate anything is going to be a compromise. 

12 minutes ago, Novice said:

How do you find them for road noise and economy? I appreciate anything is going to be a compromise. 

2-3 miles less mpg than the oem tyre (CrossContacts), noise is not noticably different but up to 8 inches of snow is no problem, nor are muddy fields.

Did Perth to Inveraray 2 winters back at 40mph (took 2 1/2 hours instead of 2 hours) when most cars on road could only do 10 to 20 mph due to a min of 1 inch of fresh snow and 8-10 inches at worst and no fear of slippage.

I have also not had any punctures to date on them (still have OEM tyre as a spare unused), but have pulled numerous small screws and other debris from them, without any apparent long term damage.

I can't speak for the SUV crossover tyres, which are not as robust or reinforced like the A/T's.