Sight repair

Imperfection

One rifle i own needs repairing-the front sight came off when in its slip. Its an under lever rifle made by Chiappa (Italian) and chambered in 44 mag so not subtle.

Yes, in an ideal world the front sight would have been dove tailed onto barrel at production but it wasn't and 6 years later here i am. 

I've already had a gunsmith try to solder the sight on and it didn't work so now im looking at epoxy. Does anyone have an experiences with Gorilla Glue epoxy which if you believe the blurb allegedly sticks metal to metal (the sight is also metal). 

Im looking at scoping the rifle if nothing helps to get past this hiccup which would be a shame because its such a fun rifle with open sights.

Sight 1.jpg

Sight 2.jpg

Personally think you should clean both surfaces then degreasing with acetone before you attempt to glue it I’d use either of the above glues 

it’s a few quid for the trial 

can’t emphasis enough how important it is for it to be clean and not touched after applying the acetone I’d even wear surgical gloves 

16 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Araldite is an adhesive which will bond metal to metal. Before you go for real, find a good way - cable ties? - no idea of scale -  or mole grips? - or some other form of small vice - which will maintain some pressure while the Araldite cures.

Good idea. I have stacks of cable ties so i'll put a couple round it.

I've already started scratching the bottom of sight to roughen it up. Gotta do same to barrel too.

17 hours ago, Imperfection said:

Nope, didn't work. Tried scratching & then cleaning both surfaces and warming the barrel up. Oh well i tried. 😞 

Have you considered JB weld? I've used it for permanently fitting a stripped engine sump plug and some quick and dirty emergency exhaust hole repairs, both quite minging affairs and it stuck like poo to a blanket, surely it will fix on a sight. If it was me I would be bringing some of the stuff I use in work home to bond it, but its risky to pinch it and post so unfortunately I can't send you some.

I use two pack epoxy for sticking odd things together, antler on to sticks, light fittings onto galvanised gatepost that cannot be drilled etc, control boxes onto conveyor be,t sides etc. Secret is

rough up both surfaces

keep joint surfaces clean.      

Keep surfaces dry

keep,surfaces warm

clamp during curing...my favourites are elastic bands or inner tube for odd shapes, toolmakers clamps or tool holders/vices for flat surfaces

4 hours ago, dm672 said:

plus 1 for JB weldmetal super stuff use as an adhesive and build up around edges if possible must be clean though

JB was my first thought too but its far too thick and would make the sight be too proud.

I know its good because i once repaired a crack in an Ford 1.6 diesel cylinder head. It lasted for 3 weeks until replacement turned up.

I have no idea what Chiappa (gun maker) used at the factory but it wasn't solder. Deffo some sort of glue but its Italian so could be anything.

Try some proper 24hr araldite, the stuff in the blue pack. I'd mix it up with some soot and leave a radius all around the bottom of the sight.

Couple of rubber bands and leave it for a good 24hrs. Don't bother warming anything if you're indoors. 

If you hang on to what's left when you mix it you'll be able to tell it's gone off solid. 

Good luck. 

JB weld might seem thick but you only need a small amount, same with araldite. Good pressure clamping it is everything. The stuff I use in work is very similar to JB weld and we use it to make humpy surfaces flat for machined parts to go onto, the deviations involved can be as little as 3-5 thou. Clamp the parts with a small G clamp and tidy the squeeze out into a small fillet around the parts to aid the stability.