Alec Baldwin Shooting on Film Set in USA.

TIGHTCHOKE

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

sounds like unqualified stupidity for this to happen..........be interesting to wait for the reason to come out........beggars belief

The film crew hired a 24 female with green hair to handle weapons.  She said loading blanks the weapons was the scariest thing she has ever done.  Sounds like they hired her based on the fact she wasn’t a white male. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

The film crew hired a 24 female with green hair to handle weapons.  She said loading blanks the weapons was the scariest thing she has ever done.  Sounds like they hired her based on the fact she wasn’t a white male. 

Wasn't she hired because, according to today's paper, her dad is one of the most experienced Hollywood armourers and had been training her since she was a girl?

Clearly not enough, but it's not as though she just came from a temp agency.

36 minutes ago, amateur said:

Wasn't she hired because, according to today's paper, her dad is one of the most experienced Hollywood armourers and had been training her since she was a girl?

Clearly not enough, but it's not as though she just came from a temp agency.

“In talking about her training, Reed told the podcast hosts loading blanks in prop guns was "the scariest" thing to her, because she didn't know how to do it”

On 22/10/2021 at 09:56, Rob85 said:

Is there a possibility of a blocked barrel causing this? Barrel blows up sending shrapnel towards them

Obvious total pass through of a bullet hitting a second person behine. Don't think that would have happened with shrapnel and having seen at least one handgun explose the shrapnel never went forwards any distance, mainly upwards and a little downwards....violently enough to bed the top strap in the range roof..

Regarding the fact it was a muzzle loader, even if it was a wad or wads over the pwoder I don't think that wad would pass through enough to hit another person behind.  Somebody loaded a projectile.  The truth will out no doubt.

Just proves .... muzzle awareness at all times.

2 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

From the Telegraph:

'The gun which killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was one of three that Ms Gutierrez had set on a cart outside the wooden structure where a scene was being acted, according to the records. 

Assistant director Dave Halls grabbed the gun from the cart and brought it inside to Mr Baldwin, unaware that it was loaded with live rounds, a detective wrote in the search warrant application.'

'Grabbed the gun' doesn't make it sound like Ms Gutierrez handed over the wrong one, or that she'd loaded blanks incorrectly, but that Halls took it of his own volition. It'll all come out in the wash, but as others have said, what the hell is live ammo doing on a movie set? It's a tragedy waiting to happen. 

2 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Assistant director Dave Halls grabbed the gun from the cart and brought it inside to Mr Baldwin

Surely ANYONE who picks up a gun left by someone else would check to see if it was loaded?  Put another way, anyone who doesn't has no business handling any gun.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Surely ANYONE who picks up a gun left by someone else would check to see if it was loaded?  Put another way, anyone who doesn't has no business handling any gun.

Yup, you'd have thought so. Right now, it's looking like Dave Halls is going to have a lot of blame pointing his way. 

Complacency, not picking the right person for the job, hiring a young lass who apparently has said she didn't think she was ready.

Somewhere along the line it all seems to add up to an accident just waiting to happen.

A tragedy, I wonder what legal action and what changes to the way things are done will come from this?

11 minutes ago, ordnance said:

Rule one never point a gun, prop or not, at anyone or in their direction. 

It might be rule number 1 to you and me but not to anti gun lovies

Also ALWAYS treat a gun as if it is loaded until you have proved its not your self.

Doing ether would have prevented this

Edited by bluesj

19 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Does 'draws twice' mean 'fired twice'?  Genuine question.

Good spot and the article isn't expressly clear either:

'Neither Halls [assistant director, who gave Baldwin the gun] nor the actor knew that it was loaded. Baldwin drew the weapon from his holster once without incident but the second time something shot from the gun, missing the camera operator but striking Hutchins and then hitting Souza'

What it also doesn't say is whether Baldwin actually pulled the trigger. It's sort of assumed, but it's not stated precisely and there's an interesting quote from one source:

The shoot appears to have been beset by problems before the accident on Thursday afternoon. A weapon had misfired a few days earlier, according to the online news site Deadline. “A gun had two misfires in a closed cabin,” the source said. “They just fired loud pops — a person was just holding it in their hands and it went off.

There are a lot of reports of how unhappy and unsafe people found the production - but then I expect that's true of all sets and you never hear about it until something goes wrong. 

It's behind a paywall, but if you have access to The Times online, here's the link

Woman, 24, who supplied gun in Alec Baldwin tragedy was film novice | News | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

Edited by chrisjpainter

Bloody dangerous, these guns that go off without the trigger being pulled!

Bloody dangerous not checking the state of a weapon and just handing it over.

Bloody dangerous just presuming you know the state of a weapon, without actually knowing what you are doing and checking!

Bloody dangerous telling somebody it is a "cold" gun when you don't know or even understand.

Commonly known as a cluster ****!

I have not read through all of this but a comment was made this morning whih got me thinking..  flloor staff walk out just before in dispute on working condiions.  Hmmmmmm ? No chance someone slipped a FULLY loaded cartridge in there ..... I've just got a very suspicious mind , comes of my background I suppose.

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Bloody dangerous, these guns that go off without the trigger being pulled!

Bloody dangerous not checking the state of a weapon and just handing it over.

Bloody dangerous just presuming you know the state of a weapon, without actually knowing what you are doing and checking!

Bloody dangerous telling somebody it is a "cold" gun when you don't know or even understand.

Commonly known as a cluster ****!

100%

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

No chance someone slipped a FULLY loaded cartridge in there

Well, anything is possible, but the possible outcome of that is so unpredictable, it would be a very foolish thing to do.  It should have easily been found - as check, double check and check again should always be the rule when handling firearms - and they should be checked at every pass from one person to another unless they are specifically being passed loaded by agreed parties (such as when loading for someone).

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

I have not read through all of this but a comment was made this morning whih got me thinking..  flloor staff walk out just before in dispute on working condiions.  Hmmmmmm ? No chance someone slipped a FULLY loaded cartridge in there ..... I've just got a very suspicious mind , comes of my background I suppose.

I'd had a similar notions, but for different reasons! As has been shown here, Baldwin's got a big mouth when it comes to gun incidents. Did someone slip a cart in to make him look an idiot, hoping it'd be nor more than a near miss or at worst, a slight injury, but it all went hideously wrong?

I’ve worked on quite a few films and tv shows with armorers in the UK and they are so tightly controlled, the gun is kept by the armorers in a case until the moment before the cameras roll, and as soon as cut is called they take it away again. You can’t fire a blank aiming at someone without a ballistic screen between them, wherever possible an inert replica is used, often swapping it once any necessary firing is complete. Sounds to me like an unhappy shoot and unsafe too which is how these accidents happen. 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

I’ve worked on quite a few films and tv shows with armorers in the UK and they are so tightly controlled, the gun is kept by the armorers in a case until the moment before the cameras roll, and as soon as cut is called they take it away again. You can’t fire a blank aiming at someone without a ballistic screen between them, wherever possible an inert replica is used, often swapping it once any necessary firing is complete. Sounds to me like an unhappy shoot and unsafe too which is how these accidents happen. 

It was not an ACCIDENT someone put a live round in that gun and it was fired intentionally .... maybe not the same people BUT it was not an ACCIDENT