Mixed bag

the hitman

Yesterday with a couple of days to myself I went for a recce around my patch. After 2 hours of driving around and looking through binoculars I finally spotted a line of pigeons going to a drilling- and on closer inspection I realised a day might be possible. The wind today was nowhere near as strong as yesterday and although there were pigeons about they seemed to have found somewhere else to feed. I set up my 20 sillosocks and hoped for the best. First visitor was a carrion crow searching the hedges - who fell stone dead with a 27g superfast. I left him where he lay in the field and straight away he was catching the eye of other crows who cackled in for a closer look and paid the price. I don’t normally decoy crows, however with the absence of any pigeons I just kept shooting them as they came in .

A trickle of pigeons began to leave a distance wood and a high line brought them over my position. I was desperate to get 2 for the magnet, and after about 10 shots I had 2 ( they were very high).

The crows kept coming along with the occasional pigeon - who were really beginning to flock up. I left my hide to get under the pigeons flightline which was coming from a wood on the same farm and heading somewhere in the distance. Realising that they were just too high I went back to the hide for a cuppa- just as I was pouring from the flask I spotted a magpie looping over the pattern of crows- double shot and he was down.

By 3.30 it was all quiet on what had been a glorious day to be out - if only the wind had blown harder.

13 crows 8 pigeons and a magpie- and an invitation from the farmer to roost shoot the wood on the perm which is home to heck of a lot of pigeons. 
E4D4C808-73DF-41D0-9C70-F7242DF1BEFF.png.c2d76dcc065c3cbae44ca3c528773f1f.png

Hitman 

15 hours ago, the hitman said:

Yesterday with a couple of days to myself I went for a recce around my patch. After 2 hours of driving around and looking through binoculars I finally spotted a line of pigeons going to a drilling- and on closer inspection I realised a day might be possible. The wind today was nowhere near as strong as yesterday and although there were pigeons about they seemed to have found somewhere else to feed. I set up my 20 sillosocks and hoped for the best. First visitor was a carrion crow searching the hedges - who fell stone dead with a 27g superfast. I left him where he lay in the field and straight away he was catching the eye of other crows who cackled in for a closer look and paid the price. I don’t normally decoy crows, however with the absence of any pigeons I just kept shooting them as they came in .

A trickle of pigeons began to leave a distance wood and a high line brought them over my position. I was desperate to get 2 for the magnet, and after about 10 shots I had 2 ( they were very high).

The crows kept coming along with the occasional pigeon - who were really beginning to flock up. I left my hide to get under the pigeons flightline which was coming from a wood on the same farm and heading somewhere in the distance. Realising that they were just too high I went back to the hide for a cuppa- just as I was pouring from the flask I spotted a magpie looping over the pattern of crows- double shot and he was down.

By 3.30 it was all quiet on what had been a glorious day to be out - if only the wind had blown harder.

13 crows 8 pigeons and a magpie- and an invitation from the farmer to roost shoot the wood on the perm which is home to heck of a lot of pigeons. 
E4D4C808-73DF-41D0-9C70-F7242DF1BEFF.png.c2d76dcc065c3cbae44ca3c528773f1f.png

Hitman 

Nice report - a good day in the field. Particularly like the magpie atop a pile of crows in the picture.