SXS and standard steel

andrew f

Hi Andrew, the photos don’t show all the information. Looking at the 1200 bar figure I would expect the gun to be 3” /76mm chambers. It looks as if there is a single star mark on the left barrel and 3 stars on the right barrel which indicate full choke in the left & half choke in the right barrel. Half choke is the recommended maximum for steel shot, so the left barrel would be to tightly choked for steel shot. 

To avoid any doubt I would take the gun to a proper gunsmith who can measure the choke constriction in the barrels for confirmation. If you need the chokes opened out it’s not that expensive, and a lot safer than risking your gun and more importantly yourself. 

13 minutes ago, Blueflame said:

Hi Andrew, the photos don’t show all the information. Looking at the 1200 bar figure I would expect the gun to be 3” /76mm chambers. It looks as if there is a single star mark on the left barrel and 3 stars on the right barrel which indicate full choke in the left & half choke in the right barrel. Half choke is the recommended maximum for steel shot, so the left barrel would be to tightly choked for steel shot. 

To avoid any doubt I would take the gun to a proper gunsmith who can measure the choke constriction in the barrels for confirmation. If you need the chokes opened out it’s not that expensive, and a lot safer than risking your gun and more importantly yourself. 

It's got 16/70 stamped on the flats so I took it for 70mm chambers 

12 minutes ago, Blueflame said:

Hi Andrew,  I didn’t see that clearly,  I presume your gun is a 16 guage then? Either way the star marks indicate the choke constriction when proofed. 

Yes it is a 16 half and full will get that checked make sure it hasn't been messed with.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

If I was just using standard steel I’d leave the chokes as is. 

47 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Standard steel will have no problems through your chokes I wouldn’t touch it 

So it definitely won't cause issues then there's plenty of people saying it will on the net some guessing it's just a load of **** then 

14 minutes ago, andrew f said:

So it definitely won't cause issues then there's plenty of people saying it will on the net some guessing it's just a load of **** then 

Yes I’ve shot standard steel through S/S shotguns for years with a multitude of chokes full thru to 1/4 

13 minutes ago, andrew f said:

You don’t say what these issues are, but it wouldn’t cause any issues as far as I was concerned, from a safety point of view, and certainly none to your gun. 

Andrew,

I would be pleased to know if and where you obtain standard steel cartridges in 16 bore. I too shoot 16 bores and have struggled to get standard steel, only HP steel which I’m reluctant to use in my 16s.

Thanks in advance of any reply.

OB

12 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Yes I’ve shot standard steel through S/S shotguns for years with a multitude of chokes full thru to 1/4 

But not 16 bores I’m guessing 

45 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Andrew,

I would be pleased to know if and where you obtain standard steel cartridges in 16 bore. I too shoot 16 bores and have struggled to get standard steel, only HP steel which I’m reluctant to use in my 16s.

Thanks in advance of any reply.

OB

But not 16 bores I’m guessing 

I've found these boggy not sure eid there standard or the HP steel https://www.justcartridges.com/product/supreme-steel-16ga-2/

Personally I would have a gunsmith who knows what they are doing take a look at just how tight the chokes are. There is so much variation and a tad too tight might blow the end off your nice gun.  Weill worth doing.   To be on the safe side having the choke barrel eased out a touch to around what should be 3/4 will have little effect on the performace of your shotgun, in fact might just help you hit more.

Andrew it’s your choice if your not content using standard steel thru tighter chokes then bye all means get them opened by a gunsmith but as I said in my previous post I’ve put 12g standard steel thru my S/Ss for years in chokes tighter than 1/2 my mate for years used a Miroku trap gun choked full 3/4 on ducks with no damage to barrels Good luck 👍

9 hours ago, andrew f said:

I've found these boggy not sure eid there standard or the HP steel https://www.justcartridges.com/product/supreme-steel-16ga-2/

9 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Andrew,

Many thanks for that, but they seem to be HP steel if that`s what `Supreme` means. 

I will make enquiries to Just cartridges,

Thanks,

OB

7 hours ago, London Best said:

Followed the link and they are in 65mm cases, so likely standard steel.

They are standard steel

See below image from the Lyvale Catalogue of their non-toxic offerings (though note they are plastic wad)

Screenshot_20211024-191525__01.jpg.c928aa9ac1af45613bd932203c0262dd.jpg

• 8 months later...

Perhaps they should alter the criteria for the try steel days then or maybe they will next time it goes to print 

Or even used a light game gun for the experiment or used a 16 or a 20 or even given a bit of science to it barrel length weight of gun what pattern the gun produces with lead and the steel equivalent 

as it is using a heavy steel drilling not a ideal game gun wouldn’t be my choice for the experiment  

the issue is not only about the damage that maybe caused to the barrel it’s about recoil making it unpleasant to shoot the gun 

07EE389A-A86D-44D2-AA35-DAA2E239371A.png

15 minutes ago, London Best said:

It is tempting to turn up for a ‘try sustainable ammunition’ day and deliberately take a 100 year old 2 1/2 inch gun and make a big scene when they cannot provide any ammo for it.

They would probably have a loan gun for that very occasion!