Eley #78 powder

In an auction lot ... a couple of tins of Eley #78 powder.  Green label on tins.   Small circular black disc powder. We can't find any reference to what it used for.  Looks ok, smell .... no noticeable odour at all.  Anyone know anything about this powder. Thanks.

Edited by Minky

It is a shotgun reloading powder. There was also an #82. Somewhere on eBay or in someone's loft there will be recipes for it. Pretty much none of them will be of great use as they will all be in cases of a construction no longer made with primers of a type no longer in current manufacture. A bit pessimistic but my advice is never, never, never use old powder that has come from an auction. It may contain Shotgun 79. It may not!

17 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

It is a shotgun reloading powder. There was also an #82. Somewhere on eBay or in someone's loft there will be recipes for it. Pretty much none of them will be of great use as they will all be in cases of a construction no longer made with primers of a type no longer in current manufacture. A bit pessimistic but my advice is never, never, never use old powder that has come from an auction. It may contain Shotgun 79. It may not!

Yes I  do understand this angle and the dangers of messing about with unknown materials.  There is a surprising amount of old stuff still out there. Both myself and my mate have part cans of 80 & 82 series in the stock's of old stuff that we never got round to finishing off.  We would just like to see if anyone has ever heard or seen this powder because there doesn't appear to be any note of it online in relation to 60-62 80-82

I used to use 78 powder for light loads back in the 70's. My favourite load was 28 gms of lead in a plaswad , I can't remember the load of powder. I used to put a card wad in the bottom of the plaswad to take up some space, as they were designed for heavier loads.  I sent some cartridges to the proof house, and they came back with flying colours.  I can't find their report either !  It was a nice clean burn for light loads.  They were printed in the Kynock booklet.

well as requested here is a picture of the cans.  It's something I've never come across and I can find no mention of this powder online.  The price label on the can would be comparable with probably the 80s.  There is info on 80-82 series powders but no mention of 78.?

Back in the 70s the price of a can of 80 or 82 was about a £.  now that's inflation to what we pay now.

IMG_2974.jpg.68f0cd4600dbec1272ff097854df99e4.jpg

Just had a look through all of my old loading data for nobel 78 and found some info which came with a lee load-all from years back.

The only recipe for 78 is for 1 1/8 oz using plastic base wad or compression formed case, no wad info but presume plastic as that was what was recommended for the load-all

they say a primer such as 209 can be used, as for the powder it says to use the .180 bush which according to the chart equates to 18.5gr.

I would try to put pictures on but am not tec. savvy however if you trust me with your info pm me and I will post the charts to you as they have loads that cover nobel powders 60,62,64,78,80,82. 

They are tatty but readable as they come from the mid 70s.

I believe that what I have put is correct but it is your responsibility if you use it.

Thanks for the helpful replies. We do understand the risks and potential dangers of reloading materials of unknown origin. We are experienced at reloading both rifle and shotgun.  I have found several references to loads so we can investigate these fired in a 3" Magnum in a work mate with a string line.  Keep your powder dry though we might need more info. It's such a shame that everything that we develop in this country we seem to throw away. .... engineering,  motor bikes, cars, tractors, aeroplanes,  computers, jet engines,  you name it and we chucked it away to some other country. How can it be sensible to have countries like italy and Spain produce the magority of shooting components.  Still I  suppose that some people like to go Morris dancing or some sort of prancing about. the other day a small bore target shooter told me that he had,had six misfires in 2 boxes of 50 rounds of ELEY MATCH. That's crazy bad. It's embarrassing. If anyone has any loads keep em coming.

Edited by Minky

8 hours ago, Bruno24 said:

Just had a look through all of my old loading data for nobel 78 and found some info which came with a lee load-all from years back.

The only recipe for 78 is for 1 1/8 oz using plastic base wad or compression formed case, no wad info but presume plastic as that was what was recommended for the load-all

they say a primer such as 209 can be used, as for the powder it says to use the .180 bush which according to the chart equates to 18.5gr.

I would try to put pictures on but am not tec. savvy however if you trust me with your info pm me and I will post the charts to you as they have loads that cover nobel powders 60,62,64,78,80,82. 

They are tatty but readable as they come from the mid 70s.

I believe that what I have put is correct but it is your responsibility if you use it.

Thanks for the offer of posting the charts but I've got most of the info already.  It's just load or two on the 78 powder. E.g. how many grains of powder to what loads as a starting point.  As I  previously stated there doesn't  seem to be much info on this powder out there.

If you are still looking for data, PM me and I will send you a scan of the relevant pages of the Nobel reloading booklet.  Incidentally, I used Nobel 60 in 12G shotgun during the seventies and N80 in shotgun and .45ACP.  I still have some N80 which I'm gradually using up in .357Mag. Rifle.

Andy