Eley #79 powder. ?

In an auction lot ... a couple of tins of Eley #79 powder.  Green label on tins.   Small circular black disc powder. We can't find any reference to what it used for.  Looks ok, smell .... no noticeable odour at all.  Anyone know anything about this powder. Thanks.

Edit... sorry somehow it didn't look as if I had posted about this,,,, so double post which could be deleted.

Edited by Minky

It is a shotgun reloading powder. There was also an #82. Somewhere on eBay or in someone's loft there will be recipes for it. Pretty much none of them will be of great use as they will all be in cases of a construction no longer made with primers of a type no longer in current manufacture. A bit pessimistic but my advice is never, never, never use old powder that has come from an auction. It may contain Shotgun 79. It may not!

Hi, 

I used to use 78 powder for light loads, back in the 70's.  It was printed in the Nobel-Glasgow Powders booklet for Handloaders.  I sent some to the Proof House to check, and they came back with colours flying.  Un fortunately I can't find their report.  The Hand book said, it was a new powder designed for light loads in Plaswads. 

This is their RECOMMENDED LOAD

12 g ,65mm case .1 oz shot, Eley parallel tube, Eley Primer, NGSP 78, 22 gn , Eley Monowad Type GL, 1" pressure 2.35 t/sq.in, OBS. vel 1115ft/sec.