Which cartridges?

I have been invited to shoot on a local driven shoot in a couple of weeks.

It is mainly pheasant (not high) with one drive of ducks.

I have some 31g no6 cartridges which I am hoping will be ok for the pheasants?

What do I need for the ducks, obviously s/steel and fibre wad but which ones please?

Thanks

Edited by ilovemyheckler

Take one hundred of the cartridges you intend for the pheasant. To take less is to risk running out mid-day and that is unforgivable. I've seen it once...two pegs down from me...and although laughter and banter greeted it the truth is it wasn't well received. You don't actually have to take all one hundred to each peg but do at least have them where you can top up between pegs. Twenty-five to thirty in your pockets on a peg is reasonable enough. For the duck that's a pain in the bottom as, IMHO, as it commits you if fibre to forking out for a box of bismuth even if on the day you get a blank on that duck stand. Shot size of your English #6 is good to go although if expecting woodcock and your chokes are open (as they will be best as such on the day) then maybe 1 ounce of good quality English #7.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Can you get steel with fibre wads ?

Was going to say Gamebore ‘silver steel’ fibre, but JTaylor91 I think has a more up to date suggestion above. I suppose you’ve also got the Eley ecowad equivalent….?

I think our OP should be able to turn up with some non lead / non plastic wad cart’s anyway.
Good luck and have a great day  if your still reading this. 

32 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

Yes Gamebore silver steel. But need a high steel proof. Been using them for several years and they are very good 

10 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

No, but you can get eco wad, looks like a plas was but dissolves once it gets wet 

12 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

THANKS for the updates on the wads used in todays steel cartridges , when my supply comes to an end I will invest in a box or two , unless I run out before my cartridges :good:

I would use the gambore bismuth 32g 4 for the ducks   bit cheaper then the eleys and never had a issue with their performance 👍 also if you're talking standard pheasants sub 40 yards (most pheasants on these shoots are normally shot at 20-35 yards as people can't tell range ) any 28g-30g 6 would be perfect 

On 25/10/2021 at 21:24, Charliedog said:

Not saying its correct but I have never been asked what cartridges I am shooting the ducks with on a predominantly pheasant/partridge days, I suspect most dont change, probably different on a dedicated duck day

Yes, I had an email from the Shoot Captain yesterday to the same effect.

I managed to get hold of non toxic Eco-Wad shells in both 12 and 20 bore

12 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Hull, Express and Eley all now do steel in a soluble wad.

Not in every dealer yet but they’re on the market.

They certainly do, but many outlets are still waiting for deliveries.

I bought the last of the 20 bore shells that Whittlesey gun Shop had.