Jump to content

Struggling with eye dominance


Poor Shot
 Share

Recommended Posts

Good evening,

I am in need of some guidance on eye dominance, it's currently ruining my shooting.

Background - I've been shooting for about a year in total and to date I've been a part of the left eye closed club. It's served me well to date averaging mid 60 - mid 70 /100 on a clay shoot. Hitting most live targets that I aim at. 

I've been dabbling of late on shooting with both eyes open, mostly on the advice of some of the better shooters at the club.

The problem I seem to be having is that I appear to be neither right or left eye dominant but a mixture of both at any given time or day. Using the finger and dvd test methods will see two of three tests lead to the left eye being dominant but If I reposition and focus on a different target the apparent dominance will switch to two out of three tests to the right eye. I'm right handed.

I shot 49/100 yesterday with the right eye appearing to be the dominant eye but struggled with anything going away or incoming targets. 

When I mount the gun and look down the rib I appear to have two barrels in the sight picture suggesting that I possibly have cross dominance?

With this I cannot even remotely tell where I'm aiming. I've no method of applying lead or even lining up an incoming or going away target. 

First thought? Sack off this both eyes open thing and stick to closing my left eye at the last second.

Alternatively? Use some form of eye dominance correction tape on the inside of the left lens of a pair of shooting glasses. I can imagine that wearing a pair of pillas on the marsh or pigeon shooting will look a little odd. This will not permanently fix the issue and I'll be tied to shooting with correction tape. 

Other than that I'm lost. Shot an abismal 12/50 today today with most shots appearing to go far left of the target. Ideal for right to left crossing targets but not much else.

Many thanks for any help with this issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

Good evening,

I am in need of some guidance on eye dominance, it's currently ruining my shooting.

Background - I've been shooting for about a year in total and to date I've been a part of the left eye closed club. It's served me well to date averaging mid 60 - mid 70 /100 on a clay shoot. Hitting most live targets that I aim at. 

I've been dabbling of late on shooting with both eyes open, mostly on the advice of some of the better shooters at the club.

The problem I seem to be having is that I appear to be neither right or left eye dominant but a mixture of both at any given time or day. Using the finger and dvd test methods will see two of three tests lead to the left eye being dominant but If I reposition and focus on a different target the apparent dominance will switch to two out of three tests to the right eye. I'm right handed.

I shot 49/100 yesterday with the right eye appearing to be the dominant eye but struggled with anything going away or incoming targets. 

When I mount the gun and look down the rib I appear to have two barrels in the sight picture suggesting that I possibly have cross dominance?

With this I cannot even remotely tell where I'm aiming. I've no method of applying lead or even lining up an incoming or going away target. 

First thought? Sack off this both eyes open thing and stick to closing my left eye at the last second.

Alternatively? Use some form of eye dominance correction tape on the inside of the left lens of a pair of shooting glasses. I can imagine that wearing a pair of pillas on the marsh or pigeon shooting will look a little odd. This will not permanently fix the issue and I'll be tied to shooting with correction tape. 

Other than that I'm lost. Shot an abismal 12/50 today today with most shots appearing to go far left of the target. Ideal for right to left crossing targets but not much else.

Many thanks for any help with this issue.

OK , I have 2 suggestions for you , 

First you need to talk to an experienced shooting instructor who should be able to point you in the right direction. A gun fitting , a consultation with an optician or may be just a few lessons , altering your mount or stance may help 

Second whilst you are worrying about this you will not shoot well as every time you put the gun up the nagging doubt will tell you you will miss .

It sounds a bit naff but there is a lot of psychology in shooting and you can become your own worst enemy  .I have known numerous occasions where the shooters biggest problem is that he believes he has got a problem which in turn creates the problem . Advice a heard a long time ago  was  "dont think shoot".

I am not saying that you do not have an eye sight problem but please take  a break for a week or so ,then seek advice from professionals and stop worrying .  It can be sorted 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you used a red dot scope on a shot gun .lb. ? I have I started with one and run it on my mossy for 3 years,  the barrel isn't seen at all when your  lining up a red dot with a clay or pigeon .and you can only see it with one eye .so a really good solution .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

Certainly not. I don’t consciously line anything up, just stare at the target put the gun up and pull the trigger.

Sadly this is the way I shoot too. I wish there was more method or science to it but I just go with reaction, and I am very pleased with the results. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

OK , I have 2 suggestions for you , 

First you need to talk to an experienced shooting instructor who should be able to point you in the right direction. A gun fitting , a consultation with an optician or may be just a few lessons , altering your mount or stance may help 

Second whilst you are worrying about this you will not shoot well as every time you put the gun up the nagging doubt will tell you you will miss .

It sounds a bit naff but there is a lot of psychology in shooting and you can become your own worst enemy  .I have known numerous occasions where the shooters biggest problem is that he believes he has got a problem which in turn creates the problem . Advice a heard a long time ago  was  "dont think shoot".

I am not saying that you do not have an eye sight problem but please take  a break for a week or so ,then seek advice from professionals and stop worrying .  It can be sorted 

Thanks to all that posted.

I think I'll book an hour with a coach on Thursday and get his take on it. See if I can eliminate stance, mount technique etc. 

If required I'll then enquire with a gun fitter, I've heard Nigel Teague recommended for gun fit and stock alterations. Though he is retired so an appointment may be hard to come by. Can anyone recommend someone within a few hours drive of South Wales?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Sadly this is the way I shoot too. I wish there was more method or science to it but I just go with reaction, and I am very pleased with the results. 

When It did work yesterday this is exactly what it felt like. Just call, point, shoot and hit the target. I couldn't indicate how much lead or anything but it just worked.

Having said that I scored a few 1's on stands with going away birds so I certainly wasn't pleased with the results.

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Screenshot_20211024-203219_Gallery.jpg

As someone who grew up playing video games, I do like that..

How does it work with parallax etc? I'd assume that you need a perfectly straight mount and well fitting gun?

I imagine you'd have some strange looks walking around a game shoot with one mounted to a traditional English side by side?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No exactly the opposite .

Red dots are parrelax free  ie .Once zeroed to point of impact .I'd doesn't matter where your eye is .(terrible mounting of the gun is possible ) and the gun will hit where the dot is .so it's a great solution for beginners  who haven't  mastered consistent  gun mount yet .

The red ring is better than a dot imo.as a small dot can easily be lost against a bright sky .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, London Best said:

I must disagree, Stu. A red dot will draw the eye to the barrel which is disastrous to good wing shooting. I would advise that the OP sticks to closing his left eye.

This /\ - at least that was what was happening to me.

I have a left master eye, but shoot from the right shoulder.  Over 40+ years I have tried various 'dots', 'single points' etc.  None worked for me - and just made me more concious of the gun - and less of the target.  The theory was that if the red dot was 'visible' then the right eye was 'in control'.  That may have been true, but it wasn't looking at the target, it was looking at the dreaded 'dot'!

I saw an instructor - and now, shoot much better, am barely concious of the gun, but focussed fully on the target - and just need to 'blink' the left eye as I mount the gun.  The key things are correct gun mount and fit and being focussed on the target.  A well fitted gun, correctly mounted - you don't need to see any 'sight'.  It will shoot where you are looking - the target.

See an instructor, who will watch what you do - and advise accordingly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been clay shooting for 40 years I shoot OSK DTL ABT Sporting etc and from day one i have closed one eye.

If i keep them both open i cant hit a thing. So you have to do what works for you. I did keep both open for

a while on OSK but went back to closing one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same as you ^ mate, shot right handed, left eye closed since the beginning. 

However a year ago I woke up on a sunday morning to go shooting and couldnt see out of my right eye, trip to A&E, then to eye hospital where they confirmed my central retinal vein had ruptured.  Bu**ar.

So after 46 years of closing an eye i dont need to.. Although i am having to learn to shoot left handed left eyed which is taxing although it does make you concentrate 100% on footwork and visual pick up points, so not all bad. Im on 70 average so getting there, Was helpfull being a shooter as i knew lead pictures from before, but have no problem with judging distance and speed, if it affected you that much nobody with one eye would be driving.

Only bright side is shooting glasses are much reduced in price as i only need one  lense... 😄

Edited by mpmilo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Crikey, that is awful. I’m glad you are doing ok in such hard circumstances. 

Cheers,takes some getting used to.  And costs a few quid, all my guns were R/H so they had to go apart from a browning 525 i bought for my boys to use which has zero cast and usable. But i did have the pleasure of new gun shopping all over again for a left hander 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, mpmilo said:

Cheers,takes some getting used to.  And costs a few quid, all my guns were R/H so they had to go apart from a browning 525 i bought for my boys to use which has zero cast and usable. But i did have the pleasure of new gun shopping all over again for a left hander 😀

If I had to do that and sell all my guns and start again with left handed ones, second time around I would only buy one........

Honest!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

If I had to do that and sell all my guns and start again with left handed ones, second time around I would only buy one........

Honest!

Exactly what i have done, had a bit of stock work done thats it.  (525 will be gone this week, as both boys are buying houses and pennies are tight at the moment )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know eye dominance has been discussed a lot here previously but it's an interesting thread, particularly regarding using a red dot sight. Are these permitted on clay shoots? 

I've struggled with eye dominance and found a single barrelled shotgun helps. Some find it strange, but it helps me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your story rings true with me .

I can shoot most targets one eye shut apart from high incomers

As an answer for your OP Have a look at Sp barrel attachment I shoot gun down     And both eyes open it seems to help but at no point am I  looking at the barrels or the sp I never see them in my peripheral vision ( but we are all different )

Secondly  get a lesson it’s not much more than a slab of cartridges that you  may waste trying to work out what’s wrong a pro will look at you and it may be something else not eye related  !
 

If you are changing anything go for a stand target you know you can hit  and repeat repeat repeat use a full 25 if you have to build you confidence 

my final advice relax if your shooting is going through a bad patch I go so tight across my shoulders and arms that I know I won’t hit the proverbial barn door.

eyes need to see clay. Brain does maths   Body moves gun to correct place.

maybe Agriv8 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...