Crowning

The Heron

I have always thought the term crowning meant the two breast cut out still one the bone. Have I misunderstod ?

If so then you can crown almost any bird.  A turkey crown comes ike that at Christmas.

Simple to do, personally I skin the bird and then with secateurs cut through either side below the wishbone but if you prefer the skin on just the same but you have to pluck the breast obviously.  I have done partridge and pheasant and pigeon in a closed roaster wrapped in smoked bacon and on a bed of sliced potato and chard which keeps the birds nice and moist.

My grandmother used to pluck partridge and then cut them down the backbone which opens them out still legs on and makes cleaning out simple. She then roasted them on sliced potatoes and maybe chopped carrot parsnip turnip swede whatver was available in a closed roaster.  A couple of thick slices of home cured fatty baon would go on top.  That was before Frenchmen arrived and our farm was wild Greys only late 40s.  Fifteen to twenty brace a day off 350 acres.

Edited by Walker570

On 25/10/2021 at 12:52, Walker570 said:

I have always thought the term crowning meant the two breast cut out still one the bone. Have I misunderstod ?

I assume the OP means the technique of crowning woodies by just cutting off the wings then pulling the crown out by hand like this video (although he does make it look harder than it is).  

I cannot help if you can do partridge in the same way but guess you can. 

Exactly some people seem to make something very simple seem to be extremely hard.   Knife and apair of secateurs and job done in seconds and funnily enough all birds are built the same.   You do need to wrap them in some bacon though to keep them moist.   These days I simply take the breast meat off and smoke it, sliced thin with a glass of something, cannot be beaten.

I have 20 partridge to do tonight - they will be breasted out and vac packed 2 birds/4 breasts to a pack - might seem wasteful not to use the whole birds but 20 more will arrive next Monday, amazed that so few folk that go on shoots these days seem bothered about taking home free meat.

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

I have 20 partridge to do tonight - they will be breasted out and vac packed 2 birds/4 breasts to a pack - might seem wasteful not to use the whole birds but 20 more will arrive next Monday, amazed that so few folk that go on shoots these days seem bothered about taking home free meat.

and so many ways to cook and prepare it  Game Cookery by Nichola Cox is a good start.  I can recomend her pheasant breast in Cider and Orange sauce. Had friends in a week or so ago and they licked the plates clean.

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, stumpy69 said:

I assume the OP means the technique of crowning woodies by just cutting off the wings then pulling the crown out by hand like this video (although he does make it look harder than it is).  

I cannot help if you can do partridge in the same way but guess you can. 

I think Geoff garrade did a video on this and made it look a lot easier 

thanks for posting it 😊👍