Cartridges prices

1 minute ago, Agriv8 said:

Oi go shoot your own pheasants ! Rather those in Gods own country. I’ll be passing on ur details to the boarder forces .

Have fun and give us a report when you done. There’s a rumour we might be out on some ducks Friday eve before the syndicate I beat for starts up so will have to unearth my steels ! Don’t recon it will take as long as going through your stash tightchocke 

atb Agriv8 

I posted a couple of pictures in my Red Game Cartridges thread, think I will be okay for this season!  :good:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back on topic, as some of the Old'uns on this forum will be aware, up until recently I've bought most of my cartridges in France.

That's now stopped thanks to Covid, but it's interesting to see how prices now compare in France against those we are currently paying in the UK..?

For instance Gamebore 28g Plaswad 7.5's are retailing currently here for £235 to £245 per thou, but they are on sale today in the Terre & Eaux superstore in Calais for £180.52 per thou, (based on 1.15 Euros to the pound).

How can Gamebore manufacture and ship to the EU, then sell to French retailers who can make a profit at that price.?

Are UK shooters being ripped off by the big Cartridge manufacturers?

Cat😎

1 hour ago, Catamong said:

Getting back on topic, as some of the Old'uns on this forum will be aware, up until recently I've bought most of my cartridges in France.

That's now stopped thanks to Covid, but it's interesting to see how prices now compare in France against those we are currently paying in the UK..?

For instance Gamebore 28g Plaswad 7.5's are retailing currently here for £235 to £245 per thou, but they are on sale today in the Terre & Eaux superstore in Calais for £180.52 per thou, (based on 1.15 Euros to the pound).

How can Gamebore manufacture and ship to the EU, then sell to French retailers who can make a profit at that price.?

Cat😎

Cat interested can  I have  More details here please ? Are you saying that I might need to get an order in for shells as well as the £300 wine collection from pidou wines on the return leg of yearly summer holiday to France ? Interested to know what paperwork and preparation you do ?

thanks Agriv8 

9 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Cat interested can  I have  More details here please ? Are you saying that I might need to get an order in for shells as well as the £300 wine collection from pidou wines on the return leg of yearly summer holiday to France ? Interested to know what paperwork and preparation you do ?

thanks Agriv8 

Would also be interested to know what paper work etc needs to be done to get them back into England. Have often thought of a trip to France for a holiday & bringing some back over with a boot full of wine of course! 

11 hours ago, Catamong said:

Cat😎

There must be millions and billions of warehouses in France with unused ammunition.😇

15 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Off to Yorkshire for some pheasants.

Don't forget your passport, we're not keen on you Southern softies up here.

PS, Don't forget a topcat and a hat against the chill

🤣🤣🤣

Where you shooting BTW?

27 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

There must be millions and billions of warehouses in France with unused ammunition.😇

But that is all Military ammunition!  :w00t:

28 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Don't forget your passport, we're not keen on you Southern softies up here.

PS, Don't forget a topcat and a hat against the chill

🤣🤣🤣

Where you shooting BTW?

Passport with bribe sorted!  :cool1:

Don't do cats, but will have appropriate headgear.  :good:

In the Ripon area.  :cool1:

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But that is all Military ammunition!  

Passport with bribe sorted!  

Don't do cats, but will have appropriate headgear.  :good:

In the Ripon area.  

Missprint🤣 should have read topcoat😁

I just wondered as I have friends who went to a shoot in the York/Tadcaster area, one fired 2 shots the other three zero. 5 drives as so few birds. To top it all it rained hard all day and they were in claggy mud.

Methinks, had they had birds over they wouldn't have noticed the rain or mud.

Good luck in Ripon👍

You do know Ripon is strictly Conservative and no Reds allowed, blues only. 💙 

55 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Missprint🤣 should have read topcoat😁

I just wondered as I have friends who went to a shoot in the York/Tadcaster area, one fired 2 shots the other three zero. 5 drives as so few birds. To top it all it rained hard all day and they were in claggy mud.

Methinks, had they had birds over they wouldn't have noticed the rain or mud.

Good luck in Ripon👍

You do know Ripon is strictly Conservative and no Reds allowed, blues only. 💙 

Must be your blunt, short, stubby, airborne fingers!  :w00t:             Well you mentioned the crayons!!  :lol:

I have several days booked there and my eldest son does too and we have guests coming, so I hope there will be some to shoot.  :cool1:

46 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Must be your blunt, short, stubby, airborne fingers!               Well you mentioned the crayons!!  

I have several days booked there and my eldest son does too and we have guests coming, so I hope there will be some to shoot.  

Fingers worn down to nub from picking up and carrying the RAF 🤣🤣

Fingers crossed, or what's left of them, that the pheasants are there for you.

22 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

thanks Agriv8 

Hi Agriv,

Obviously things have changed since Brexit, and not for the better, as there are now limits upon what you can bring back to the UK from the EU, you also now may have to pay import duty if the value of goods is above a certain level, but I can't find clear guidance on that one?

Take a look at the Terres et Eaux website, this is a chain of stores in France with a good range of shooting and fishing equipment, the Gamebore Evo's are listed here:

https://www.terreseteaux.fr/cartouches-evo-12-70-28g-n7-5-x25.htm - The rate per slab = 10 x 5.19 Euros, which works out at £45.13 at current rates.

Pre-Brexit all you needed to do was to show your European Firearms Pass, (issued by you local Firearms Licencing unit), but as from Jan '21 these passes are no longer valid, and may not be accepted in France, I've not been over since late 2019, so I don't know how it will work.? I presume they will now accept a UK SGC.?

If you travel by P&O ferry from Dover, they require you to fill in a form prior to your journey, and you are limited to bringing back 1000 shells, with Eurotunnel there are no rules except that they say that ammunition carried should be "kept to a minimum", whatever that means.?

As a general rule, I've found that Cartridge prices in France have tended to be very similar to those in the UK, but that has changed recently, and there are no some bargains to be had.

Another big French Sports goods store that does good special offers on shells is Decathalon, it's worth a look at their website too.

I also buy my wine at Pidou, they do a very drinkable Chilean Merlot called "El Campo" at about £2 a bottle, and I also believe that you can reclaim the VAT at 15%, details on their website. My taste in wine has moved a bit more upmarket recently, I do like the Barefoot Malbec, Pidou sell that, but there are also some great deals to be had from time to time in both Tesco and Asda, with 25% off six bottles, which can bring the price down to very close to Pidou prices.

Cheers.!! 

Cat

Cat thank you so much for taking the time to write all that up! All very useful and will do some digging brexit does seem to have muddied the waters. I plan to track down some cleavers while over there ( IIRC made in Italy ) a great shell but can’t see to get em in the uk anymore! 

we have a Eurotunnel crossing for the van to use so will se how we get on and will of course post up details ( might even get to the alps for some skiing in Feb)

regarding the wine this falls into “happy wife happy life” I usually pick-up the more expensive while at the supermarket so an try a couple of bottles before shelling out for a case.

For our a favourites there is usually  a trolly full waiting for us to pickup.

thanks Again Agriv8 

https://www.terreseteaux.fr/chasseurs/cartoucherie/munitions-de-sport-calibre-12-1.html

Here is an up to date link to their 12gauge carts listing.

Yep, Brexit has made acquisitions and trips to shoot overseas a lot more of a faff. 
I was fortunate to have a Frenchie license so all was ok. Never tried with just a Uk SGC in Decathlon. My local town dealer didn’t bother with any formalities 🙂

Was chatting with an rfd this morning who can’t get primers from the Czech Republic for love nor money due to Brexit probs and same for sending items to Northern Island or so he states. 

13 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Cat thank you so much for taking the time to write all that up! All very useful and will do some digging brexit does seem to have muddied the waters. I plan to track down some cleavers while over there ( IIRC made in Italy ) a great shell but can’t see to get em in the uk anymore! 

we have a Eurotunnel crossing for the van to use so will se how we get on and will of course post up details ( might even get to the alps for some skiing in Feb)

regarding the wine this falls into “happy wife happy life” I usually pick-up the more expensive while at the supermarket so an try a couple of bottles before shelling out for a case.

For our a favourites there is usually  a trolly full waiting for us to pickup.

thanks Again Agriv8 

Ok if you are over there but hardly worth making a trip when the limit is £270 worth of goods. 

On 25/10/2021 at 20:57, Catamong said:

Cat😎

It's not a case of, "are", so much as, 'by just how much....'

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading an article from Facebook that a dealer posted yesterday 04/11/21 That he had received a price increase for trade ! And most of there range there was a£20/1000 increase 🧐🙈soon be out the limits of the working man 😢😢

Just now, Bigdavet said:

I was reading an article from Facebook that a dealer posted yesterday 04/11/21 That he had received a price increase for trade ! And most of there range there was a£20/1000 increase 🧐🙈soon be out the limits of the working man 😢😢

And am I right in saying that is the third price increase this year ?

7 hours ago, Bigdavet said:

And am I right in saying that is the third price increase this year ?

I’d be interested to hear if that was a specific vendor or brand, or across the board. I’ve done some mediocre googling and can find nothing though.