Cartridges prices

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A dealer I know in Scotland said the latest Gamebore price list showed the trade price per 1000 was now £20 more than the retail price was 2 years ago!

I bought 1000 Hull Superfast in June for £201, a few weeks later I was in a different store and they were selling at £229!! He reckoned the price had gone up. Mentioned it to a mate who range our local store - £207 and they had 7,000 left so we bought the lot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/10/2021 at 13:09, supersportfive said:

Most probably been talked about before but I've just been to my local shop for my preferred cartridge express super comp fiber now @295 a thousand that a £48 increase in a month it's getting out of hand.

When I was 16 in 1975 my dad was always moaning there weren’t any cartridges when he wanted to have a walk round on a Saturday afternoon, I’d shot them all! So he bought a 1000 Sellier Bellot mk11s and I think they cost £60. A new AyA No2 was £129! Now are cartridges dear??

3 hours ago, triumphant59 said:

When I was 16 in 1975 my dad was always moaning there weren’t any cartridges when he wanted to have a walk round on a Saturday afternoon, I’d shot them all! So he bought a 1000 Sellier Bellot mk11s and I think they cost £60. A new AyA No2 was £129! Now are cartridges dear??

No,  it's the guns now that  are crazy prices in comparison.  I've got an AyA No. 2 rounded action in 28 bore and I think that the new cost is somewhere in the region of £9000.!!  AND. a no. 4 is something like £4000.  Still I'm tooled up with 3 MEC reloaders ..... 28 G Sizemaster,  20G 600 junior MK5 and a 12g 9000 so soon it will be cheaper to reload again...  that's if there is any powder ect available.

On 25/10/2021 at 20:57, Catamong said:

Getting back on topic, as some of the Old'uns on this forum will be aware, up until recently I've bought most of my cartridges in France.

That's now stopped thanks to Covid, but it's interesting to see how prices now compare in France against those we are currently paying in the UK..?

For instance Gamebore 28g Plaswad 7.5's are retailing currently here for £235 to £245 per thou, but they are on sale today in the Terre & Eaux superstore in Calais for £180.52 per thou, (based on 1.15 Euros to the pound).

How can Gamebore manufacture and ship to the EU, then sell to French retailers who can make a profit at that price.?

Are UK shooters being ripped off by the big Cartridge manufacturers?

Cat😎

what are the rules of getting them back here in the boot of the car on the ferry or tunnel.

9 hours ago, triumphant59 said:

In comparison to the pension I earn, compared to the wage I earned in 75, most definitely yes.

To be fair though all my ammunition was supplied by Her Majesty The Queen in 75 as I was a serving soldier.

Shooting then was classed as training therefore ammo free and done in military time. How things change! Now shooting is a hobby and ammo paid for by the individual and in own time or on leave.

It's all fun and cheap prices til you get caught.

The Isle of Wight ferry has specific policies on this, but they ask you to surrender your gun to the crew to put up with the boat captain. But, if they don't have licences I don't know exactly how legal this request is, or how comfortable I'd be with it.

As for carts, they're technically explosives and when "not caught" it's cheap. If you declare you have a few kg of gunpowder they may want to see more than a touch of safe storage!

Carriage Of Dangerous And Hazardous Goods & Articles – Eurotunnel Le Shuttle

Ammunition must be kept to a minimum. I'd suggest 3000 isn't seen as a minimum, although could argue it's still "needed".

As you'd have to present yourself to customs, I'd say you now need to research what considers personal use, as anything over would be taxable as an import from the EU.

Good luck getting customs telling you what would be personal, and getting eurotunnel or ferry to allow you on with "too many".

Reading through those regulations there isn't  really anything covering powder.  Only ammunition is covered.  Powder isn't ammunition and it's not an explosive.  I suppose further investigation is required as to how powder is classified for transport purposes. I have been told that there is he'll of a wait to even get a delivery date on powder.  I suppose that it would be a niche market to get a boat ( not a rowing boat) and go over to somewhere and bring a boatload back.  Failing that,  to start making the stuff over here again.  Rules, rules, rules.  Alternatively get out a pack of cards or a jigsaw puzzle. Nothing much on the box.

Edited by Minky

Greenfields in Salisbury usually boasts quite a menu of 12G carts let alone other sizes. When I visited yesterday the pickings were slim to say the least. They are waiting for a delivery, and I enquired when this may be, and the answer was that they didn't know but "hope" it will be soon.

I may have had a mini crush on the Blazer F3 when visiting, and had it had an adjustable comb I may have bought it instead :D

On 06/12/2021 at 18:20, HantsRob said:

It's all fun and cheap prices til you get caught.

The Isle of Wight ferry has specific policies on this, but they ask you to surrender your gun to the crew to put up with the boat captain. But, if they don't have licences I don't know exactly how legal this request is, or how comfortable I'd be with it.

As for carts, they're technically explosives and when "not caught" it's cheap. If you declare you have a few kg of gunpowder they may want to see more than a touch of safe storage!

Lots of rules change at sea 

maritime law comes into play 

the ferry captain doesn't need a certificate as the company has one as a commercial carrier it also covers the flare pistol and any signalling cannon depending upon the ferry company 

the object of taking your gun to his cabinet is to ensure that you don’t have access to it during the crossing to safeguard the other passengers 

if you are travelling without cartridges the crew are usually happy with you locking them securely in the vehicle and letting them have the keys 

if travelling with cartridges they must be separated during transit 

to be fair it’s there boat and there rules 

I would strongly recommend to anyone to declare any firearms and or ammunition as I’ve seen the consequences of not doing it 

On 10/12/2021 at 19:49, Old farrier said:

if travelling with cartridges they must be separated during transit 

to be fair it’s there boat and there rules 

I should have just waited for your wisdom! :D

Great explanation, and reassures me for if/when I get an opportunity to hop on the ferry again that I could bring things along.

So with your quoted line, does this mean you'd have to carry the cartridges on the boat in person, whilst leaving your keys to your locked car to the crew? Or, would you suggest gun to the captain, and cartridges in the car? Either way it sounds like it's a bit of hassle but not any real drama if you declare!

16 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

I should have just waited for your wisdom!

Great explanation, and reassures me for if/when I get an opportunity to hop on the ferry again that I could bring things along.

So with your quoted line, does this mean you'd have to carry the cartridges on the boat in person, whilst leaving your keys to your locked car to the crew? Or, would you suggest gun to the captain, and cartridges in the car? Either way it sounds like it's a bit of hassle but not any real drama if you declare!

By far the best option is to bring your gun declare it at the terminal lock it in your car and give keys to the deck hand he will tell you to collect them from the purser’s office or he will return them to you on the deck 

cartridges aren’t a problem but you maybe requested to do paperwork for them and gun and cartridges can’t travel on the boat together so one or the other will have to be moved from your vehicle 

although in a double cab you can lock gun in the front cartridges in the back (sometimes) 

far easier to buy cartridges at the clay grounds 

please note the rules vary from boat to boat and time of day a lot depending upon how your captain sees the rules and weather you have given the shore crew a hard time 

I don’t have a problem with the procedure it’s there boat there rules 

hope this helps