An afternoon on an ex bean field.

JDog

When I first joined PW many more shooters reported on their outings, good or bad. It seemed to be a happy place. Nowadays there are a lot less posts in 'Talk from the field' and 'Sporting pictures' about the core topic and there are many more about shot sizes, ballistics, terminal velocity, pattern in a 30'' circle etc. I am sure those subjects are interesting to some but not to me. The forum is also full of protagonists and pugilists arguing over subjects a lot of them don't understand but which they have read about briefly on the internet. The forum is a less happy place nowadays.

In an attempt to redress the imbalance I do try to put something up when I have been out shooting whether it has been a good day or a bad day. Last Saturday was like the Curates Egg as we had to wait for the sprayer to finish, them we did get some shooting. Today the one thing I said to Jacko when we were approaching the field was that there was zero chance of seeing a sprayer as the pre emergent sprays had been applied two days earlier. We had been there for ten minutes when the sprayer arrived, this time to spray for black grass. Luckily he didn't take long and we were set up for 12.30.

There were good numbers of pigeons about and with the sun and wind on our backs we set about shooting a few. We had both tried cartridges that we were not used to on Saturday with poor results. Today we were back on Hull Superfasts 29g no.6. We both shot much better and killed some pigeons at a good distance. My companion has had lessons with Ed Solomons and his shooting at distance has certainly improved. We had hides 40m apart with rotaries in front of each hide and a space in between and we gradually built a decent pattern which any pigeon entering the four fields totalling 80 acres would see. We thought we had a decent number of birds flitting around but when a helicopter went over it raised what must have been over a thousand pigeons from another field nearby.

In exactly three hours of constant but not hectic shooting we shot and picked 83 pigeons. Jasper cleaned up the runners.

One photo shows crop contents to include beans, clover, old barley stubble and wheat drillings and a few Haws.

Goxhill hide 1.jpg

Goxhill bag 1.jpg

Goxhill crop contents.jpg

Well done JDog , great report. I hope to be out in the near future and add to the boredom with my tedious post of extravagant pigeon shooting!!!!

I still scan the forum for reports but I to find them rare to find, I understand COVID has restricted members activities. I was lucky to be invited out in August  to help Bunny_blaster sort out a large field of laid wheat. This resulted in him picking up 600 plus and me 200 plus this resulted in my freezers being full with 1200 birds. Contacting my normal outlets they were all full, so stopped me shooting. Luckily I’m getting rid of 600 on Wednesday so will have room to go out again, what have this space.

26 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Excellent again, lovely read that Jacko is doing well. I miss his videos. Interested to see the effect of the lessons on clays with such an esteemed coach, however key to killing birds is 50% knowing how to shoot but 50% knowing when to shoot and you only learn that in the field. 

Jacko now has a YouTube channel.

https://youtube.com/user/jacko3275

I have to agree with you about the lack of reports of days in field , our Saturdays nights were made better when P C put on the days bag and snippets of how the day's set up started and the mass clear up at the end , Motty and Muncher were the same with often a video to show how the days proceedings went , although the video was often for adults only and the mods wouldn't show it till after 9 pm when the youngsters have gone to bed :lol:

You can understand that a lot of pigeon shooting come to a standstill this time of the year due to game shooting and wild fowling and some might even go to football matches for entertainment ( not Norwich may I add ).

Still we can now rely on your reports , either big or small bags and all are well worth reading , excellent bag today that look like youngsters made a big proportion of the end result , which can only be expected at this time of the year .

A great read as always jdog, i watch Jacko’s YouTube vids whenever I see them and they’re always enjoyable, I agree that it’s a shame that more don’t post about the days out they have but on the same hand I can also understand why some don’t bother, I posted a short account of a day out I had back in august and I think it got one reply 🤷‍♂️. Maybe it was boring, or not seen. Either way it didn’t encourage me to write anymore reports. I’m thankful that some still do though as I enjoy reading about other peoples days so thanks for posting 👍🏻

13 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

A great read as always jdog, i watch Jacko’s YouTube vids whenever I see them and they’re always enjoyable, I agree that it’s a shame that more don’t post about the days out they have but on the same hand I can also understand why some don’t bother, I posted a short account of a day out I had back in august and I think it got one reply 🤷‍♂️. Maybe it was boring, or not seen. Either way it didn’t encourage me to write anymore reports. I’m thankful that some still do though as I enjoy reading about other peoples days so thanks for posting 👍🏻

And for those who read but don’t write reports (like me)it only takes a couple of seconds to say well shot and nice write up 

Edited by Vetty

I tried my hand at reports when I first joined this forum but with little or no replies I gave up and when I dared to write another post regarding the lack of replies you J dog were one of the first to basically say put up or shut up so I did just that I shut up and now just have a browse now and again

Edited by m greeny

1 hour ago, Spr1985 said:

That's why I don't bother anymore i could of put a dozen posts and pics on during the summer but with 1 or 2 replies  and just general  lack of interest,I don't bother anymore  used to be buzzing on here years ago with posts of bags its died a death now

10 hours ago, yickdaz said:

That's why I don't bother anymore i could of put a dozen posts and pics on during the summer but with 1 or 2 replies  and just general  lack of interest,I don't bother anymore  used to be buzzing on here years ago with posts of bags its died a death now

I tried twice in last few weeks, both got moved as one had pheasant in as well as corvid/pigeons and the other contained information about making decoys.

Good report JDog of a great day and an excellent bag and no doubt there was a bit of distanced banter between you and Jacko. The photos certainly give added interest and information to the post.

I think that it’s important that we read not only of the good bags made such as yours, but also of the small to medium bags as all can be made interesting with other happening during the day such as the sighting of a rare bird species etc. I must admit that my shooting recently has been similar to the Curate’s egg i.e. good in parts, but that’s perhaps through lack of practice due to the scarcity of pigeons to shoot in my area. 
Many thanks for posting.

OB

On 25/10/2021 at 22:13, yickdaz said:

Agreed, I’ve had a good summer on the pigeons also. I think all forums are the same to a point, with certain individuals posts receiving a lot more interest than others. Hence why many post a few times then give up bothering, which is a shame really! 

I do love posts like this, a very enjoyable read. It's nice to see people getting out and enjoying themselves. I really hope people don't get discouraged and stop posting their days, I know a lot only get one or two replies but usually it gives a good few hundred of people enjoyable reads, and for people like me who are only starting out I try to absorb all the information I can.

I'd love to post about some of my days but this year it's been one thing after another and I haven't had a chance to get out in months and months...

Please keep them coming, I look forward to the next one.

On 25/10/2021 at 18:56, JDog said:

When I first joined PW many more shooters reported on their outings, good or bad. It seemed to be a happy place. Nowadays there are a lot less posts in 'Talk from the field' and 'Sporting pictures' about the core topic and there are many more about shot sizes, ballistics, terminal velocity, pattern in a 30'' circle etc. I am sure those subjects are interesting to some but not to me. The forum is also full of protagonists and pugilists arguing over subjects a lot of them don't understand but which they have read about briefly on the internet. The forum is a less happy place nowadays.

In an attempt to redress the imbalance I do try to put something up when I have been out shooting whether it has been a good day or a bad day. Last Saturday was like the Curates Egg as we had to wait for the sprayer to finish, them we did get some shooting. Today the one thing I said to Jacko when we were approaching the field was that there was zero chance of seeing a sprayer as the pre emergent sprays had been applied two days earlier. We had been there for ten minutes when the sprayer arrived, this time to spray for black grass. Luckily he didn't take long and we were set up for 12.30.

There were good numbers of pigeons about and with the sun and wind on our backs we set about shooting a few. We had both tried cartridges that we were not used to on Saturday with poor results. Today we were back on Hull Superfasts 29g no.6. We both shot much better and killed some pigeons at a good distance. My companion has had lessons with Ed Solomons and his shooting at distance has certainly improved. We had hides 40m apart with rotaries in front of each hide and a space in between and we gradually built a decent pattern which any pigeon entering the four fields totalling 80 acres would see. We thought we had a decent number of birds flitting around but when a helicopter went over it raised what must have been over a thousand pigeons from another field nearby.

In exactly three hours of constant but not hectic shooting we shot and picked 83 pigeons. Jasper cleaned up the runners.

One photo shows crop contents to include beans, clover, old barley stubble and wheat drillings and a few Haws.

Goxhill hide 1.jpg

Goxhill bag 1.jpg

Goxhill crop contents.jpg

Fantastic couple hours 👍👍