Good day for the job

the hitman

I did another recce yesterday and followed the flightline from my recent mixed bad report- and found a big stubble field pulling a good number of pigeons.

I was in the car glassing the field at 10am - not much about but a cracking westerly was blowing and I was fairly confident of where the hide needed to be. I was set up by 10.30 tucked under a high hedge which was giving me protection from a cold wind. First group came across the field and headed to the top end of the field about 150 yards to my right, followed by more and more heading to the same place. So I was in the wrong place and had 2 options- move or rig up the magnet ( I had dead birds from my last outing) - being lazy I rigged up the magnet. The pigeons continued on the same line, but spotted the magnet changed direction and came sliding in. I was using my late father’s BSA sxs non ejector, what he called the pigeon leveller - I shoot better with my Browning O/U but just wanted to give it an outing.

There was so many juvenile pigeons about that I had to really concentrate and pick out the birds with obvious white neck bars, which was possible as they were coming in low and almost head on. By 3pm the action was slowing down- and I was happy with a respectable 55.

2 images from today that everyone will recognise- First is  that split second when you shoot a high pigeon dead with a plume of feathers 6 ft behind against a clear blue sky. Second is when a pigeon comes in low and you slowly raise to prepare to shoot- then through your eyebrows you spot 20 high birds with wings back 50 yards out- and you freeze in that crouched position letting them all come in.4FE18060-E986-4491-A0D0-95E7A2841B16.png.3135e314ef135e0e0005a62166c405ec.png

Great report and a bag to match , My gun is similar to your dads although mine is more upmarket because it have got ejectors :lol: , not by choice as the ejectors came with the gun when I bought it , it wouldn't bother me one bit if it was a non ejector as I get used to opening the gun with my hand over the breech both for shooting pigeons and wildfowl , one of the true work horses when it comes to side by sides as it rarely , if ever let you down , a credit to those who built them , or who put the parts together . 

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Great report and a bag to match , My gun is similar to your dads although mine is more upmarket because it have got ejectors  , not by choice as the ejectors came with the gun when I bought it , it wouldn't bother me one bit if it was a non ejector as I get used to opening the gun with my hand over the breech both for shooting pigeons and wildfowl , one of the true work horses when it comes to side by sides as it rarely , if ever let you down , a credit to those who built them , or who put the parts together . 

I am not sure of it’s choking but it’s fairly tight. It’s an old gun- possibly over 100 years. I just can’t swing it the way I can my O/U’s. It’s a fun to shoot, especially over decoys.

Nice to read. Happy that you're out and they're coming in.

I find if I put out a magnet or two they shy away early.

If I use a magnet for crows they come no where near.

Maybe I'm using them wrong or just need to get dead birds on first rather than decoys.

Bouncers I have no problems with and more success.

3 hours ago, JDog said:

Good one. If you hadn’t taken the magnet you wouldn’t have had anywhere near the activity you had.

Absolutely- I would have had to up sticks and move. I use a golf buggy battery which is not exactly light weight. The magnet seems to work best if I am in the generally not to far from where they want to be- however you soon know if it’s putting them off or they just have somewhere else in mind.

50 minutes ago, the hitman said:

Absolutely- I would have had to up sticks and move. I use a golf buggy battery which is not exactly light weight. The magnet seems to work best if I am in the generally not to far from where they want to be- however you soon know if it’s putting them off or they just have somewhere else in mind.

I think what also make a big difference this time of the year when you are using a magnet is the amount of young birds you will draw in to your decoy pattern , most of these birds have never seen a magnet and very few of them are street wise , as they say, curiosity killed the cat , in this case it is the pigeon that was curious seeing the movement and some well placed out decoys that brought it's sudden departure from our planet :yes:

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

I think what also make a big difference this time of the year when you are using a magnet is the amount of young birds you will draw in to your decoy pattern , most of these birds have never seen a magnet and very few of them are street wise , as they say, curiosity killed the cat , in this case it is the pigeon that was curious seeing the movement and some well placed out decoys that brought it's sudden departure from our planet 

Agree about the juvenile pigeons being easily pulled in by the magnet or static decoys for that matter . I took all the shot pigeons to the game dealer today and only one was what I would consider juvenile- so my shooting discipline worked. I could have doubled the bag, but I have no interest in shooting under size juvenile birds not long out of the nest - plus my game dealer won’t take them.

My preference would be to leave them for another day.