Discovery Sport

Bungle The Bear

29 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Everything after that just became cars with a low ratio gearbox and awful looks.

Got to agree, they are an awful off road choice, the new defender that Ive tested and had in bits, wouldnt last long in a rough off road situation.
The underside of them is open to mud ingress and damage , with vulnerable pipe work and wiring exposed to such.

They are a car built for the road, for people who think they are driving something rugged , that will go anywhere.

33 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

RIP Landrover.

Yet... They go from strength to strength, despite terrible reliability, they sell more and more overpriced units year on year.

1 hour ago, Bungle The Bear said:

seems to be some decent ones around at not silly money

Thats because the market is glutted with them , ex lease, and people moving unreliable ones on .
Lots are sold as soon as the manufacturer warranty runs out, when they become a money pit.

2 hours ago, Bungle The Bear said:

I know I may be losing the plot!! Who knows, does anyone have any experience of the Land Rover Discovery Sports, around  2017 / 18 ish, not the latest ones, there seems to be some decent ones around at not silly money 🤷‍♂️

I was told a few weeks ago that around `18 there were engine issues,don`t ask me what ,they just cropped up in a conversation.....

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

The whole range has had 'engine issues' for about 20 years :lol:

It's not the engines it's the computer that runs them. I had my Disco 2 face-lift model totally remapped to what I wanted and it was a great runner. I had to change many parts though to make it reliable and able to use off road. Standard LR props no grease points🙄 Changed from air suspension to springs. I could go on, the list is endless.

The Range Rover was the same, changed so many parts to be able to run it "trouble free"

If it's not broken don't fix it just does not apply to LRs made after the 80s.

My wife has one. Bought new in 2017 and now with 30k on the clock its a hse 2.0d. It's a superb car. Nippy, quiet, comfortable with a seamless 9 speed auto box that will return 50+ mpg, not bad for a seven seater. It's effort less on the motorway and was impressive on the off road course. 

Sat nav is slow and dual climate not so effective. 

I had a 2016 HSE Black for a couple of years, overall it was fine. I had an issue with the auto tailgate opening/closing by itself in the rain, turned out the rear fog loom was getting wet. Apart from that, and it drank adblue, it was fairly decent. Plenty of space, comfortable etc. I had the larger sat nav screen and the heads up display which were pretty good (albeit a little dated now).

my local garage owner had one that age on personal contract thingy and it was making horrible noises, so the engine was rebuilt by the main dealer under warranty but it didn't cure it. It then had a new engine under warranty. it was a while ago but I am sure my son who is mechanic there said it was camshaft. this was the sport not the big discovery.

I have a 2017 Disco Sport HSE. It currently has 39K on the clock and apart from servicing it has had no issues whatsoever. It skims down the motorway at 85 and will do it all day in peace and quiet. Off - road, it hasn't let me down and goes everywhere I went with my Disco 4. What would I have instead? Theres loads of choice but I still like my Land Rovers.

Had a 2006 disco3 from new until 2016 covered 113 miles with no problems apart from electric hand brake playing up and general maintenance, then got disco sport 2.2 se tech still got it with around 66,000 on the clock and again no problems.  

the other day passed a brand new BMW on the side of the road with its hood up 😳 

• 2 weeks later...

They’re good cars and ticked a lot of boxes for me when I had one up until around five weeks ago. Decided to move it on though  before the manufacturer warranty ran out.. and I didn’t fancy paying more per month to keep it in warranty and I figured being a Land Rover something would inevitably go wrong at some point! 

However, if you get one in warranty they ace for shooting and genuinely quite capable off road - I had mine up a few green lanes in Yorkshire with a few of the bigger Land Rovers including the new Defender. Ground clearance was the only issue. The 4wd system with Hill Descent Control is great and considerably better than its competitors in that segment. Also of note, the 9 speed gear box has an ultra low 1st gear. The car will always ordinarily start in 2nd unless the driver manually selects 1st or chooses Mud & Ruts program or Sand Mode. 

They’re big, comfortable, look good and very practical and safe, too. Mine was a 2018 SE Tech and I was in the dealers a few times with it for niggles more than anything! The engine was good too. 

Big one to look out for is corrosion on the discs! I got stung with that one as it’s no longer covered under warranty! I bought it with 17k on the clock And kept it until it had about 25k on the clock. 

Oil dilution if you do a lot of short trips (although my dealership changed filters and oil for me free of charge when it had its first MOT) talking of its first MOT, the front discs got an advisory for corrosion too, which would’ve inevitably been another bill in the future.

Another common one is the B Pillar Tick/rattle (very annoying!) and also I believe timing chains can be an issue. Also look out, well listen out for DPF heat shield rattle! Very, very annoying and quite common! Probably the biggest thing I had changed under warranty.

Its sad really as fundamentally they’re an outstanding car with a lot of potential but the niggles and gremlins can be off putting for some. I personally feel I had a good one too despite using the warranty for some stuff! 

I did actually have an order placed on a new one despite the niggles I had with with mine but unfortunately had to cancel my order due to the semi-conductor crisis! So back with a 3 Series Touring now (please don’t snow) lol! 

If you get a good one, you’ll love it! If not, it can get annoying.. and ultimately expensive if out of warranty! 

Hope this helps…

All the best, 

Dave 

Edited by WinchesterDave