What would you do ?.

samboy

Hi gang.

My mates terrier is 13 years old and has took ill. The vet quoted him almost £1000 for a blood test, x ray and ultra scan. 

Because of its age he was all for putting it down but his wife is saying pay it.  It seems a bit of a lost cause paying that 

sort of money because of its age.  Any comments please.

Thanks all.

3 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

My mates terrier is 13 years old and has took ill. The vet quoted him almost £1000 for a blood test, x ray and ultra scan. 

Because of its age he was all for putting it down but his wife is saying pay it.  It seems a bit of a lost cause paying that 

sort of money because of its age.  Any comments please.

Thanks all.

Very tough call to make, It's all about the dogs welfare really, I would ask a few pertinent questions of the vets "best guess" as to what the illness is and whether the dog could expect a period of good health and wellbeing post any treatment.

If it is believed that the dog's health will not return to a point that it is not going to suffer painful health problems, then it would be kinder to the dog to put it to sleep.    

Our beloved springer broke her leg £2000 opp then had cancer another big bill but we didn’t mind then it came back it was not right to keep putting her through it we know the time had come the money didn’t matter it was her well being that mattered most of all she was only 10 years 

I fear you are delaying the inevitable, not for the dogs sake but your wife’s. I know it’s a difficult call but two posts on here hit the nail. Clangerman and Ditchman. The dog relies on you to the right thing after a second opinion; as upsetting as it might be it’s the ultimate responsibility we accept when we buy a pup.

Good luck

My boy (my profile pic) is 14 in march, he's gone a bit blind i can see a cataract in one eye, he has lumps all over and his back legs give way now and then, but he seems happy, we go for our walk each evening and he sleeps a lot, i won't take him to the vet because i don't want him going under the knife for the lumps and bumps, as long as he's happy and isn't in obvious pain we will plod on, but i hope that when the time comes and he is in pain or suffering in any way i will do the right thing by him.

The original post is very vague. 

What exactly does ‘took ill’ mean?. 
Some terriers can live for a long old time. 

If aside from the recent illness the dog is relatively fit and healthy then your mate might want to consider how much £1000 means to him (although I would ask another vet for an opinion). 

If the dog was old, struggling and just lingering along then I’d consider letting him go with kindness. If the dog was fine before this bump and bounding about full of time then it’s a bit different. 

If he’s loaded and £1000 is throw away money they he can weigh it up, if £1000 is a hardship then it’s obviously a lot clearer. 

My old lab had a lump come on her back leg, the vet offered to take the leg off. I instead chose to have her PTS. I don’t think it’s fair to put an old dog through lots of nonsense just to prolong the inevitable, she was a good age and had slowed right down. The only thing I regretted was not taking her in a day or a few earlier 😞.   

Hi gang.

Well my mate had his little terrier put to sleep tonight. The poor little thing was riddled with cancer.

But it had a good 13 years behind it so it is at rest now.  I'm welling up here and its not even my dog

but i know what they must be going through as i lost my Whippet 2 weeks ago.