Guntrader

Kojak_79

Got this reply this morning:-

Good morning,

I am a little confused as to whom you are writing to as Guntrader.uk is no longer running and we have no access to that anymore.

If you are asking about your data with Guntrader media we had you first name, town, county, postcode, 2 telephone numbers and email address.

This information was bought from Guntrader.uk by Guntrader media.

However to alleviate your concerns, I have just deleted all your information from the system and we now hold nothing on you anymore.

Please do not re register.

Kind regards

Alexander

I have therefore served another Subject Access Request on Guntrader Media. I did not ask that my data be deleted, I asked how they came by it. Merely deleting it does not account for them retaining data which I did not give them. Requesting that I do not re-register seems an over reaction. I was interested in the data situation before, but their attitude to my request for information has made me unwilling to just let it go. 

Edited by Gordon R

On 06/11/2021 at 12:36, Gordon R said:

I have therefore served another Subject Access Request on Guntrader Media. I did not ask that my data be deleted, I asked how they came by it. Merely deleting it does not account for them retaining data which I did not give them. Requesting that I do not re-register seems an over reaction. I was interested in the data situation before, but their attitude to my request for information has made me unwilling to just let it go. 

That reply is an ignorant two fingers gesture to you ,what a complete arrogant snake ,I really hope that you stick at it  .

I have requested clarity as to how I could change my password in the last few days

on the guntrader website if they are no longer trading.so if I placed an advert who would it be with if guntrader media then they have been given my data ,as yet no answer.

If I can help in any way let me know.

I hope I am wrong, but think I might just get a response to the Subject Access Request saying that no data is held. That would be a mistake and result in an instant complaint to the Information Commissioner.

When served with a SAR, I don't think you can merely delete any information and then correctly say that you hold no data. That would not cover how Guntrader came to buy my data or how it has been treated. If that happens, in addition to an ICO complaint, I think I will be contacting the interested Solicitors.

On 06/11/2021 at 12:36, Gordon R said:

I would be extremely unhappy to have received that tone of response.  I've been in two minds as to whether to pursue this matter, and things like this really dont paint the management in a very good light at all.

1 hour ago, Zapp said:

I would be extremely unhappy to have received that tone of response.  I've been in two minds as to whether to pursue this matter, and things like this really dont paint the management in a very good light at all.

The whole thing is starting to smell a bit "fishy" to me too.

I didn't like the tone of the letter. I thought it was unprofessional and slightly naive. 

I think I will have a word with the Solicitor. If they do it on a "No win, no fee" basis, I might have a go. According to their website, about 50 have signed up at this moment. It isn't the money - assets (from memory) £600k - that won't go far. I just object to anyone being cavalier with my personal data.

11 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I didn't like the tone of the letter. I thought it was unprofessional and slightly naive. 

I think I will have a word with the Solicitor. If they do it on a "No win, no fee" basis, I might have a go. According to their website, about 50 have signed up at this moment. It isn't the money - assets (from memory) £600k - that won't go far. I just object to anyone being cavalier with my personal data.

The solicitor should be able to advise if the Guntrader liquidation makes any difference to the claims.

Ok straight from a legal firm today ,all of these cases will be dropped if they can find out that Guntrader did not have insurance to cover the data breach,as there will be no way of claiming damages.

It looks to me like a simple insurance open and shut case ,so the fact that they put the firm into   liquidation point to no insurance in place .so no consequence to mr Andover just hope that the new company has learnt the lesson.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't there a case to email/write to the police force that deals with that director's licence, and informing them that there is a serious doubt about them being of good character?

Would be funny if that guy had his licence(s) revoked... As we all know, there is no burden of proof here, it's really a question of the police force judgement of that individual.

It would also be funny that, without a licence, he wouldn't be able to.... *gun trade* ... :-)

15 hours ago, buze said:

Isn't there a case to email/write to the police force that deals with that director's licence, and informing them that there is a serious doubt about them being of good character?

Would be funny if that guy had his licence(s) revoked... As we all know, there is no burden of proof here, it's really a question of the police force judgement of that individual.

It would also be funny that, without a licence, he wouldn't be able to.... *gun trade* ... 🙂

They are just a medium for selling it’s just ads.

Below is the exchange following Alexander Andover's rather dismissive reply, which I posted earlier.

6.11.2021 12.27 

Alexander
Thank you for clarifying the position. I am now serving a Subject Access Request on Guntrader Media to confirm that status and also details of when and how my data was transferred without my consent. I was not aware that Guntrader was in a position to sell my data to another comapny. I do not want an e-mail repeating what you had said, but do require compliance with the SAR. If you feel unable to do this, please let me know so that I can proceed with further action.

Regards.

Gordon

18.11.2021 8.40

Good morning Gordon,

I am not sure how I can’t repeat myself when you have asked the same question.

As per your SAR and my last email and in compliance with said SAR, we hold no details on you at all as all your data was deleted.

Kind regards

Alexander

18.11.2021 14.09

Alexander

When a company receives a Subject Access Request, I do not believe that it can merely delete any data and then say that it does not hold any. That totally ignores how my data came to be sold. I will now pursue the deletion with the Information Commissioner.

In respect of the transfer of my data, without my consent, I have contacted Hayes Connor Solicitors and any future correspondence will come from them.

Regards.

Gordon

19.11.2021 11.32

Good morning Gordon

When you served the SAR the details had already been deleted due to our previous conversation so when you came back , there was nothing there. It was not done after the SAR.

I am a little surprised by your strength of reaction and am wondering what it is you are after.

Can you explain why you want to turn this into a fight costing us both money when we no longer have any of your details?

Regards

19.11.2021 13.58

Alexander

I served the Subject Access Request on 1.11.2021. I believe that my data was still held on that date. I am surprised that you say it had already been deleted, as I was still able to access it.

Given the tone of your previous correspondence, I was less than happy and wondered if you took protection of my data seriously, as it had already been leaked. Rightly or wrongly, I formed the impression that I was being fobbed off. I do not wish to turn this into a "fight", which incidentally  will cost me nothing. I will settle for a full apology for the leaking of my data and the subsequent sale and retention of the same data, until it was deleted. 

The full apology will result in no further legal or ICO action. If no apology is forthcoming, there will be no further direct correspondence from me.

Regards.

Gordon 

19.11.2021 15.23

Dear Gordon

I have no problem apologising to you as I am extremely sorry this has happened and for any distress this may have caused. It has been the first time in the 20 year history of the company, which I built from scratch, that this has happened and we have always done our upmost to keep people’s information safe and secure. It is of deep regret to me the problems that have been caused, but sadly this seems to be a common occurrence throughout the internet these days.  I sent you the email where I questioned which company the SAR had been served on, as I wasn’t sure, and then deleted your data immediately after the email was sent.

I hope this alleviates your concerns and it is very sad to see a customer leave.

I wish you all the best.

Kind regards

Alexander

Edited by Gordon R

That was informative..

Now, what are the alternatives to guntrader? I don't think the replacement dodgy company is going to be any better as securing their data as the old one, so basically we can assume their system is just swiss cheese, and it's even possible they are still carrying a backdoor for further pillaging in the future.

So, selling guns online, any other options with some acceptable "coverage" ?