Opinions / thoughts on Kofs sub-gauges

Fellside

2 hours ago, Fellside said:

OK - I’m asking because I’m about to start my young son with a 410. Looking to see what people like. Presume that’s your pigeon popper..?

Yes its the best cartridge I've found for my use so far.

I started my 6 year old grandson  on 9 gram x 2" Lyalvale Express. No noticeable recoil and even though I insist on him wearing top quality ear defence only a soft pop. He used a Cooey model 84 .410. He's now got his own Belgian folder .410 and uses 2 1/2" on clays or in the field. We both still use the 2" on rats and squirrels. He's 8 now and quite proficient when there's plenty of action to keep his interest. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Thanks for the tips and pictures - some dedicated 410 shots here it seems. 

I have hardly fired one since I was a boy but look forward to rediscovering this little caliber with my son.

My daughter and my 15 year old Granddaughter also use .410. My oldest Granddaughter at 18 now uses a 20 gauge. Daughter uses my .410, Granddaughters and grandson have their own.

On 31/10/2021 at 12:34, TRINITY said:

As a matter of interest is there anyone who has had experience of both kofs  and yildiz.  Just wondering which is considered the best quality

I have had both and the yildiz is a much better gun out of the 2. The yildiz actually works for a start. I had problems with the kofs not firing, especially using Fiocchi cartridges. I bought a yildiz 30” ejector and have put a lot of shells through it with out any bother

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2021 at 22:28, bunny_blaster said:

I have had both and the yildiz is a much better gun out of the 2. The yildiz actually works for a start. I had problems with the kofs not firing, especially using Fiocchi cartridges. I bought a yildiz 30” ejector and have put a lot of shells through it with out any bother

Thanks very much for that bunny blaster - and thanks again to everyone for their help.

Since reading all the above, I have been on a buying mission…! 
I have opted for a Yildiz 28 bore with 30” barrels - on its way via RFD transfer. It is a second hand gun, and if the seller’s reports are correct, hardly used. I will be picking it up in a couple of days. CANT WAIT……!!!!

As regards a 410 for my 11 year old son, I have spotted a nice little Yildiz youth version - short stock with 26” barrels. If it’s still there next week …..?

Once I get my hands on this Yildiz 28 bore - I will put it through its paces and report back on PW soon.