From little acorns...

adzyvilla

I was sitting in the canteen at work looking out of the window today, watching a flightline of pigeons coming from the direction of the local park, crossing the main road and heading off to wherever they were going to feed for the day. I was so entranced by this that I completely forgot my coffee and it was quite cold when I got round to drinking it. In my reverie, I failed to notice one of the apprentices also watching the spectacle, but a bit later when I was back at my bench, he came over to me and asked me if I was watching the pigeons like he had been.

What followed was one of the best conversations I have had for years. I explained my interest (I am known as that guy who shoots things at work), what the pigeons were doing and why, and he was so interested, really keen to learn and asked me all sorts of questions about it. I haven't had someone with no real shooting background ever talk to me about the subject before, it really warmed my heart. I've taken quite a few of my workmates clay shooting, and one even joined me brushing once too, but none have ever expressed an interest in pigeon shooting... until now.

I did explain that opportunities will be few and far between for a few months, but he's welcome to join me roost shooting (provided the farmer doesn't mind) in the new year. He's not a complete shooting novice which is a plus, and I'm really looking forward to giving him his first taste of the sport. Really made a crappy day at work that much better.

Edited by adzyvilla

31 minutes ago, adzyvilla said:

Just try and stop me! I'll make sure I write up the report.

Good to see a youngster taking an interest into the basics of a days pigeon shooting by mainly watching pigeons in the first place , you can learn a hell of a lot without taking the gun out and the more you learn about the pigeons way of life the better the results will be when the big day arrive and you put your plan into action . 

By the way , where about in the county are you ?

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Good to see a youngster taking an interest into the basics of a days pigeon shooting by mainly watching pigeons in the first place , you can learn a hell of a lot without taking the gun out and the more you learn about the pigeons way of life the better the results will be when the big day arrive and you put your plan into action . 

By the way , where about in the county are you ?

At work, wymondham