COP-26

ditchman

Nothing will change after this Summit - led by politicians who know full well that they'll be out of office long before anything real happens that they initiated.   Fixing the issues would require actions that probably only countries with single party political systems could achieve and then only if there was enough self-interest in the outcome.

Planet earth is, sadly, screwed.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

To be fair, there have been some pretty uncomfortable times climatically the the 4.5 billion years!

How do we/they know that?  Through core samples taken probably. But are they reading/interpreting them correctly?

Could be one of Earths many cycles it goes through every few thousand years. Again, JMHO.

27 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Gentlemen, we have left the age of reason and entered the epoch of hysterics.

The ex founder of Greenpeace, Dr. Patrick Moore is worth a listen to.

Sorry, don't have enough time left in my life to give a monkey's.

When they don't intend to address the real reasons what's the point?

I despair as the rest of the world thinks us irrelevant, which we already are?

3 hours ago, Penelope said:

Gentlemen, we have left the age of reason and entered the epoch of hysterics.

The ex founder of Greenpeace, Dr. Patrick Moore is worth a listen to.

Interesting to listen to someone who seems to know what they are talking about . Saw those  all dressed in red on local News last night . Rather strange to be polite 😀

12 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Not been following the conference intensely but as yet , I have still not heard one mention of human population growth. Has any one heard anything yet or are they just ignoring it.  

It won’t be mentioned because there is no money to be made from population control. 

Cheers guys, seems like it's being ignored then. 

I described 'them' as gutless for ignoring this. I stand by that. In order to address the issue it may mean going into uncomfortable areas that could bring culture and religion into the equation. So easier to ignore and concentrate on all the other irrelevent factors.

23 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Cheers guys, seems like it's being ignored then. 

I described 'them' as gutless for ignoring this. I stand by that. In order to address the issue it may mean going into uncomfortable areas that could bring culture and religion into the equation. So easier to ignore and concentrate on all the other irrelevent factors.

I think some countries actually claim their populations are in decline, so I doubt it would ever be a serious suggestion anyhow, plus all the questions of personal freedoms and those you mention also.

On the other hand, there is serious money to be made from ‘green’ or environmental issues. 

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

I think some countries actually claim their populations are in decline

Quite a number are in decline; many of the (former eastern bloc) eastern European and Balkan countries, Japan, Italy, South Korea - there are quite a few.  But also many growing, so overall world population is growing, notably most of Africa is increasing very quickly, and India.

14 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Not been following the conference intensely but as yet , I have still not heard one mention of human population growth. Has any one heard anything yet or are they just ignoring it.  

The $1-4Tn a year could massively increase population growth in developing countries. We're funding them to get to a place they can't get to on their own, in the near-term, taking responsibility away from their governments and the people. Work will pretty much just be state sponsored, there may end up being mandated welfare provisions (suggested in the Paris climate accord and by the UN) which won't help with getting people out to work and with something better to do than make babies.

There may also be a decrease in infant mortality and longer lives, as developing countries health care improves to set standards, similar to the EU. This is a good thing for the babies and old folk, not so for the planet with the potential for the massive rise in population.

**This is purely my own speculation from reading multiple articles on the plans for the Trillions of dollars. A system similar to the EU where countries give up sovereignty in favour of massive sums of money. Votes will be bought (don't vote as we say and you don't get your money) and the countries will be developed to the benefit of those in power.

Some people will be made tremendously wealthy with guaranteed contracts and no competition while the wealthy countries will be syphoning money from the tax payers.

The UN have already hatched a plan for population control, stating a required move to borderless, nationless and identity-less population.

IMHO the money would be better spent investigating new technologies and cheaper manufacturing methods to make renewables a no-brainer.**

The planetary boundaries model expands on just climate change and adds a further 8 boundaries, some of which we (mankind) are currently unable to quantify, both in terms of the tipping point and also where we currently are at relative to the tipping point.

planetary-boundaries-cover-1620.jpg

https://www.stockholmresilience.org/research/planetary-boundaries.html

Personally speaking, I do have some reservations about some aspects of climate change and our collective direct contribution to it, but in 2021 I find it hard to believe there really are many people in developed countries who don't at least have some notion of a personal conscience around overall sustainability...

4 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

The $1-4Tn a year could massively increase population growth in developing countries. We're funding them to get to a place they can't get to on their own, in the near-term, taking responsibility away from their governments and the people. Work will pretty much just be state sponsored, there may end up being mandated welfare provisions (suggested in the Paris climate accord and by the UN) which won't help with getting people out to work and with something better to do than make babies.

There may also be a decrease in infant mortality and longer lives, as developing countries health care improves to set standards, similar to the EU. This is a good thing for the babies and old folk, not so for the planet with the potential for the massive rise in population.

**This is purely my own speculation from reading multiple articles on the plans for the Trillions of dollars. A system similar to the EU where countries give up sovereignty in favour of massive sums of money. Votes will be bought (don't vote as we say and you don't get your money) and the countries will be developed to the benefit of those in power.

Some people will be made tremendously wealthy with guaranteed contracts and no competition while the wealthy countries will be syphoning money from the tax payers.

The UN have already hatched a plan for population control, stating a required move to borderless, nationless and identity-less population.

IMHO the money would be better spent investigating new technologies and cheaper manufacturing methods to make renewables a no-brainer.**

Don't forget Bill Gates and his drive to eliminate malaria, the single biggest control on human population.

I think it would be a pretty safe bet to place at a bookies that the next few gatherings of this type will spew out the same promises but nothing really will change.i heard on one report that part of the negotiations happening at the moment was carbon offsetting plans basically carry on as you are just plant a tree and your a good guy.as said earlier this planet has been going through different ages for millions of years before we came along and will likely continue to do so for millions after we are gone