Near Misses In The Field

marsh man

As a fifteen year old I once had a mate with a (borrowed) hammer gun who cocked both barrels as a pigeon approached. The pigeon turned away without offering him a shot and he held the right hammer and pulled the left trigger. The discharge blew a hole in the ground about a foot in diameter only inches from the toe of my welly. The lad usually borrowed my single barrel but thought it great when his neighbour offered the double so he was not used to two triggers. I cured the problem by only giving him one cartridge at a time. Makes me shudder to think about it now.

25 minutes ago, London Best said:

As a fifteen year old I once had a mate with a (borrowed) hammer gun who cocked both barrels as a pigeon approached. The pigeon turned away without offering him a shot and he held the right hammer and pulled the left trigger. The discharge blew a hole in the ground about a foot in diameter only inches from the toe of my welly. The lad usually borrowed my single barrel but thought it great when his neighbour offered the double so he was not used to two triggers. I cured the problem by only giving him one cartridge at a time. Makes me shudder to think about it now.

:good: Made me chuckle, but not funny at the time.

Beautiful summer's morning except we didn't know about the night's heavy dew so within 50 yards or so from entering the field our shoes were sopping. Mate and I home on leave as young RAF apprentices going for a walk around. I had father's GP and mate has his brother's db 10 bore - except it was sb really as one barrel didn't work. Come up to a low wire 'fence' so unload, step over, move off and stop to reload. BANG from behind me. I'm ready to fall down dead, but nothing seems to be hurting so I turned round. Mate stood there, ashen faced, looking down at his feet - the right one in particular mumbling something about his mother is going to kill him. I walked over to see what the attraction was. The end of his shoe had gone leaving a perfect semi-circle the size of a 10 bore barrel - the leather being soaked through. Also gone was the end of his sock - the remains similarly shaped. There also was his big toe - completely unmarked.

Classic, 'nuff said, trigger and barbed wire.

Mind you, the guy seemed to get away with everything. Standing on a metal groyne ready to dive in when his foot slipped and he dropped vertically down landing on the groyne on his stomach. This ruined his day so went home arriving just in time for his mother - a highly qualified nurse - to recognise what was up and got him to hospital just in time with a somewhat shredded spleen. This was a rematch as about a year earlier back in the day when it was almost a death sentence, she'd correctly spotted that he'd got meningitis - again only just in time.

Out lamping one night with a mate, he gets out to chuck  a fox in the back of the navara, he climbs back into the passenger seat with his rifle pointing down into the foot well, where he proceeds to send a round out through the floor pan of my nearly new truck! Needless to say, that was the last time he was invited out shooting with me! 

I was on a nice day on Monday first drive I couldn't hit a cows **** with a banjo. Lots of empty cartridges but nothing fell out of the sky. 2nd drive was a much more snap shooting type of drive and more my style and I got my brain in gear and enjoyed myself. 3rd drive I shot a couple of crackers. Stopped for a late elevenses then on to the last drive. They were decent birds and I was back gunning in a dip so they were even higher by the time they got to me. Even an initially average bird was a decent bird by the time it got to me. And they were zooming along. Again I shot a couple of cracking birds including a partridge that was hitching a ride with Jeff Beezos on the way to outer space. Then I shot a hen pheasant coming straight towards me high and fast. Lined up, swung through, 30g of number 5 flew from the end of my 20 bore and made Mrs pheasants acquaintance. Stone dead. Congratulations from my neighbour quickly subsided to look out. She landed stone dead where I would have been stood had I not been watching her and stepped to the left.

25 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

Out lamping one night with a mate, he gets out to chuck  a fox in the back of the navara, he climbs back into the passenger seat with his rifle pointing down into the foot well, where he proceeds to send a round out through the floor pan of my nearly new truck! Needless to say, that was the last time he was invited out shooting with me! 

Scary stuff that Medic!

In my early teens I took out another lad who also had a fourten. We had stopped for something and he turned around towards me and discharged the gun about a foot away from my feet. The air was blue. He never accompanied me again.

A few years back I had booked a full day stalking  over in Derbyshire with a guide, on the first meeting in his yard we went over gun safety as would be expected. He pointed to a whole in his rear landrover wheel and that a gun had 'discharged' a centrefire in his yard whilst transffering a rifle from his vehicle to the guides vehicle which he had left loaded. He exclaimed that no stalking trip was undertaken!

ZIKES!!!

1 minute ago, Benthejockey said:

I was on a nice day on Monday first drive I couldn't hit a cows **** with a banjo. Lots of empty cartridges but nothing fell out of the sky. 2nd drive was a much more snap shooting type of drive and more my style and I got my brain in gear and enjoyed myself. 3rd drive I shot a couple of crackers. Stopped for a late elevenses then on to the last drive. They were decent birds and I was back gunning in a dip so they were even higher by the time they got to me. Even an initially average bird was a decent bird by the time it got to me. And they were zooming along. Again I shot a couple of cracking birds including a partridge that was hitching a ride with Jeff Beezos on the way to outer space. Then I shot a hen pheasant coming straight towards me high and fast. Lined up, swung through, 30g of number 5 flew from the end of my 20 bore and made Mrs pheasants acquaintance. Stone dead. Congratulations from my neighbour quickly subsided to look out. She landed stone dead where I would have been stood had I not been watching her and stepped to the left.

OOhhhh! Ben that would be a painful experience. An object a few pound in weight hurtling towards the earth! 

I bet you felt the thud!

atb

7diaw

2 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

OOhhhh! Ben that would be a painful experience. An object a few pound in weight hurtling towards the earth! 

I bet you felt the thud!

atb

7diaw

I don't get many chances to go game shooting, this was a day from Mrs BTJ's dad, so I try and watch everything I hit or think I ***** so fortunately I watched it all unfolding in slow motion. I was glad I wasn't on the adjacent peg where birds were flying towards where the cars were parked and manage to land one on someone's bonnet 😂

8 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

I don't get many chances to go game shooting, this was a day from Mrs BTJ's dad, so I try and watch everything I hit or think I ***** so fortunately I watched it all unfolding in slow motion. I was glad I wasn't on the adjacent peg where birds were flying towards where the cars were parked and manage to land one on someone's bonnet 😂

An unfortunate unforeseen added expense to someones day if there ever was one! 

Cars parked too close for comfort to the drive or an extremly high bird. 

A enjoyable day at the very least, you came out relatively unscathed and both you and your car are safe. :lol:

atb

7diaw