BSA Lightening

gmm243

Evening all,

Does anyone have any experience with this rifle?I was thinking of changing a small springer I have for my son and have seen one of these for sale in .177.He has outgrown the rifle he has now and wants something a bit more grown up.

There is a HW 97 new in a shop near here but my son thought it was very heavy.Ideally I was looking for an underlever but could not find anything locally that was lighter than the HW that we looked at.

The Gamo Phox was also mentioned but I know nothing about them.

Thanks.

I like the bsa lightening  .

My 2 are the original  xl models 

Not the newer se variants  .

Get a good one and they can be fantastic  .

I'd recommend one with a wooden stock not plastic  the wood seems to absorb  recoil and noise more making for a more pleasant shot .

Though I do have a synthetic  stocked one in .22 which I detuned to 10.5 fpe which is pretty nice to shoot .

I had a BSA Lightening XL and it was the worst gun iv ever owned. Everything broken one at a time including the wooden stock which cracked. 

This was around the time BSA had moved their production to Turkey (i believe from memory). Iv never bought anything BSA since and as far as I’m concerned BSA stands for blooming shocking air rifle. 

I hope things have got better. 

Edited by zipdog

Bought one new in '06.

Great little gun.  Mine is in .22, so a bit loopy, and is...challenging to shoot, if you're used to smooth PCPs.  It's not Weihrauch, but it's also a darn site more compact and, I think, better ergonomics than most mid-to-high end springers.  I'd say a far better bet for a lad than a hulking great HW95

My wooden stock has a tiny crack in it, bought a plastic one on ebay for £20 as a temporary measure in order to effect a proper repair.  Nothing endures like the temporary and 2 years later composite stock remains.

Other than the stock, no complaints on quality so far.

No ranges near here sadly.

I was thinking of a cheaper pcp but not sure what to go for.I saw a Gamo.Phox in the private sales but again know very little about these guns.

I had a BSA Ultra when the boys were much smaller but they grew out of it so looking for an adult size rifle now.Just rhe weight issue to try and get on top of.

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, there are lighter PCPs than the Phox depending on your budget, but your need a pump or air cylinder, then there's the HW 30 S at 2.5 Kg , why do you want an under lever, ? It just ads extra weight, what's you budget ? 

No real reason for wanting an underlever just a fancy I have.

I suppose the budget is not huge,around £300 or so which is not great for a pcp but should maybe get a reasonable enough 2nd hand springer.

Will have a look online for 2nd hand HW99 too. 

22 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

The triggers are shocking.

I have had a long tom all the way to a modern BSA supersport and many BSA's in between, trigger wise all have been variations of good, my personal fav is my carbine supersport single stage, if you want shocking try a Milbro Cougar or Black major I have one and as standard its like lifting a 5lbs hammer with your trigger finger😁

21 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

On which model ? 

The lightening has been around for decades and has seen many changes and triggers 

On the 4 I've had (still own 2 ) 

The triggers have been absolutely  fine .no issues - crisp and light enough. 

Not sure a friend gave me one to zero and the trigger was that heavy it was almost impossible.

4 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Not sure a friend gave me one to zero and the trigger was that heavy it was almost impossible.

Judging by your name that’s because we know what a proper trigger and airgun should be like! 

BSA were brilliant 35 years ago but have been living off that name ever since. 

13 hours ago, zipdog said:

Judging by your name that’s because we know what a proper trigger and airgun should be like! 

BSA were brilliant 35 years ago but have been living off that name ever since. 

Absolutely spot on . BSA are living on the name from decades ago Weihrauch triggers are the best in the airgun world and I must say HW 60 & 66 are superb far better than any other rimfire and that includes Anschutz 

5 hours ago, villaman said:

Absolutely spot on . BSA are living on the name from decades ago Weihrauch triggers are the best in the airgun world and I must say HW 60 & 66 are superb far better than any other rimfire and that includes Anschutz 

Yerr, the hw60 triggers are sublime. The best I’ve ever used I think.