Dogs and fireworks.... done to death??

Rob85

I known this subject had possibly been done to death but has anyone had any trouble with their dogs and fireworks?

This raises its head every year and it really gets at me when friends I know who treat their little "fur babies" like a 6 month old child and tiptoe around it. They start to put up their faceache posts every year about banning fireworks as they keep their dogs up awake shaking at night. Apparently.

I know their are some dogs that do suffer anxiety and thats just them unfortunately but does anyone else agree with me that by and large the vast majority of noise related issues with dogs is owner related and poor training related? One woman in particular that I know lives in a very well insulated double glazed house, keeps her fur baby cocker spaniel indoors, took it to her training classes and it won its wee awards....even though and can't even walk to heal on a lead... was harping on about all this this morning.

Apologies for the bit of a rant 

Edited by Rob85
Missing word

41 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I had a working cocker several years ago who was absolutely petrified by them.

AlL my labs have been fine.

What do you reckon it was that had the cocker petrified of them? As I assume he wasn't gun shy at all. You reckon it was the different kind of sound or just the sudden not knowing where it was coming from?

The reason I ask is the majority of dog owners i know that complain about these issues are the ones who totally baby their dogs and spoil them rotten...another common theme is they are by and large female owners

My current lab, (my thirteenth), is neither gunshy nor scared of fireworks. But she is a bag of nerves and scared of slight rattles with pots/pans/plates or if you drop something or make a sudden move. 
She was the last of the litter to leave the breeder by a week, who had builders knocking all the plaster off and removing walls, so bang bang thump thump all day. 
I can only think that is the cause of her nervous disposition.

14 minutes ago, London Best said:

My current lab, (my thirteenth), is neither gunshy nor scared of fireworks. But she is a bag of nerves and scared of slight rattles with pots/pans/plates or if you drop something or make a sudden move. 
She was the last of the litter to leave the breeder by a week, who had builders knocking all the plaster off and removing walls, so bang bang thump thump all day. 
I can only think that is the cause of her nervous disposition.

My springer/collie mix shares an odd thing like that. She's not scared of fireworks or loud noises but the gun has her walking away to lie down, even the .22lr with the moderator she lies down and wants nowt to do with it, likewise the silly wee Gat air pistol and my slingshot. Its like she senses a flying projectile and doesn't like it. I think with some effort I could get her to come around to it but she was never bought as a gundog really so I'm happy as she is.

Aside from dogs with a nervous disorder which i believe is the minority, I just wonder is there a correlation between the annual fireworks complainers and the type of training or lack thereof that their dogs receive and the environment its used to living in. I know the person I referenced in my post used one of the trainers/puppy class takers that insists on a comfort harness, asking your dog politely to sit. Then ram a big treat down its gob for complying.... her dog also has a first and second name, first name has 2 syllables and the 2nd name 3 🙉

My last vizsla was seriously upset with them but would stand all day at a peg with me and also when stalking rifle going off didn't flinch. Think it was the distant BOOM.  Down near Marlborough one November weekend stalking and staying in our cabin overnight. They had a big display in the town and I had to load him in the Landy and go for a drive up onto the downs to get away from it.    My old chocy lab was the same but not quite as bad.  Strange how it effects some dogs and not others.... like people I suppose.

10 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I known this subject had possibly been done to death but has anyone had any trouble with their dogs and fireworks?

This raises its head every year and it really gets at me when friends I know who treat their little "fur babies" like a 6 month old child and tiptoe around it. They start to put up their faceache posts every year about banning fireworks as they keep their dogs up awake shaking at night. Apparently.

I know their are some dogs that do suffer anxiety and thats just them unfortunately but does anyone else agree with me that by and large the vast majority of noise related issues with dogs is owner related and poor training related? One woman in particular that I know lives in a very well insulated double glazed house, keeps her fur baby cocker spaniel indoors, took it to her training classes and it won its wee awards....even though and can't even walk to heal on a lead... was harping on about all this this morning.

Apologies for the bit of a rant 

Hello, I have owned gundogs for over 40 years, mostly without any problem. Several have been nervous of fireworks, however one of my current cockers is absolutely terrified. He is in shooting field constantly , without  any problem, but is inconsolable when fireworks are on the go. Shaking, trembling and freezes. Some dogs are definitely adversely affected. Regards

My old dog (sadly passed 4 years ago) used to love fireworks, would go to main displays with it and he would want to fetch the falling debris from the rockets, middle dog is not bothered at all and will sit and watch them, pup is still a bit noise sensitive but is now ignoring dummy launcher and getting used to other loud sounds, but yet to have fireworks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry a bit late to this one but had a read before my lunchtime walk with my sprocker . So having a think and trying to persuade her that squirrels are vermin and not game that I want her to flush !!! Especially not while out with the other beaters ! Though I can’t be sure I have got it through to her as she keeps thinking that bringing me a live rolled up hedgehog is good fun ( daft mutt )

Could it be that when we are out shooting or working our dogs  they are prepared for the bang ( report ) as they have seen and sensed the gun ! fireworks that they are not prepared for gets them upset !

stll haven’t got over being told by one lady ( usually accompanied by two sooner dogs - sooner poo on tha carpet than go outside ) that I was irresponsible taking my dog out while fireworks being let off. She looked upset when I told her that she was a cold blooded hunting companion?!? So why would they bother her !

Agriv8

23 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Sorry a bit late to this one but had a read before my lunchtime walk with my sprocker . So having a think and trying to persuade her that squirrels are vermin and not game that I want her to flush !!! Especially not while out with the other beaters ! Though I can’t be sure I have got it through to her as she keeps thinking that bringing me a live rolled up hedgehog is good fun ( daft mutt )

Could it be that when we are out shooting or working our dogs  they are prepared for the bang ( report ) as they have seen and sensed the gun ! fireworks that they are not prepared for gets them upset !

stll haven’t got over being told by one lady ( usually accompanied by two sooner dogs - sooner poo on tha carpet than go outside ) that I was irresponsible taking my dog out while fireworks being let off. She looked upset when I told her that she was a cold blooded hunting companion?!? So why would they bother her !

Agriv8

It's a different noise, dogs learn through association, a bang from a gun is a totally different sound from a firework and for dogs that are fine with gunfire and not fireworks, they've simply associated fear with fireworks and in the case of your dog a very pleasurable game for the gunfire. 

With a bit of training, particularly early on, it's usually easy enough to teach a dog that fireworks are okay, it obviously gets harder as the fear becomes a learnt behaviour.