Replacing thermostat and central heating programmer?

sandspider

Morning all

We have an ancient Horstmann h37xl CH programmer, and two analogue (crappy) thermostats. The battery in the Horstmann has died and apparently it can't be replaced, and it keeps losing our settings. So, can it just be swapped for something like a Hive CH programmer? And can the analogue thermostats just be swapped for Hive thermostats? Or is there a bit more to it than that? I imagine so!

(I assume the Horstmann could be replaced with another the same in a straightforward swap, but I don't want another one, and it would be good to have moveable digital thermostats...)

Thanks.

I have hive and I think it's great.  When you buy the unit(s) there's an option to buy installation too - i think it was about £60 for installation and it was a no brainer, it wasn't worth me even considering to fit it myself for that money.  In a simple system, they wire a controller directly into the boiler and then you have a small wireless hub to connect to our own wifi and then the thermostat talks to that.  if you have multiple heating zones, you have a controller and thermostat for each zone.  once its fitted you can set your schedules etc up from a tablet or phone and then also override the schedules or change settings remotely - I really think its a very good system and the installation costs is far lower than getting a sparky in yourself to fit it.

I went with google nest for ours.  It makes a massive difference control wise. I fitted it to our system and it was relatively straight forward.  I say relatively as it’s daunting as hell when you see the mass of wires and lack of colour coding that seems usual in heating systems. I had a wall thermostat but opted to use the nest one on a stand so it can be moved about as the old location isn’t ideal.  So far I haven’t taken the old one out of the circuit but just left it turned to max. 
Function wise I haven’t left it to it’s own devices yet but it knows when you leave the house etc so can revert to eco settings when you are out and things like that. 

Thanks folk. I did toy with the idea of opening it up and seeing if I could replace the battery, but the control unit is a bit rubbish anyway, so probably easier to replace it - assuming another one would be a simple swap.

Moveable thermostat like the Nest one would be good too, as our 'stats aren't sensibly placed either. Probably simpler to get a plumber or electrician on the case.

Fitted all manner of heating thermostats/controls in my job…..just fitted a new v3 hive to my own new heating system, great system and incredibly simple to use! 
Easy enough job for an electrician, very easy to wire into a combi boiler and only a little more involved on a system with a tank etc. 
If you control your heating and hot water independently, they do a two channel version. 
My preference for the hive in a lot of instances is that the thermostat being battery powered makes it more portable where the nest requires it to be plugged in constantly if not fixed to the wall. 

Hive and Nest both very good, we’ve had them in our last two houses. The £60 hive installation charge is money well spent. My plumber and electrician had messed up our new heating controls and thermostat/clock (that we were binning anyway) so we certainly got our value worth. 

On Saturday night I cleared a load of old “junk” from around the kitchen and put a box in the car. Woke up roasting so wide turned the heating off via the app and I had to retrieve the thermostat. 

Just remember to get the right controller for your boiler! There's several like heating only, heating and hot water, and some other variations. I have hive and love it, nest was still too new when I got hive.

You could wire yourself but I wanted my plumber to do it for safety. Sure it's great to have a cool thermostat, but being able to turn the heating off remotely and turn it on when coming back from holiday by app or text was so great!

I've never regretted it once.