Dr Johns Puppy Food

paul87

Hello again all
Just picked up a new pup yesterday, the breeder has her on Dr Johns Puppy chicken. It seems to get fairly good reviews online but wanted to know if anyone else has any experience with it or other recommendations for a dry food?

I used beta with my last pup but it didn't agree with her and then moved her on to pets at homes own brand,wainwrights, which she thrived on. The pup is in very good condition, she is fairly big for the age and her stools are good. Looking for advice if you would reccomend something else or if it's a case of if she is doing well let her be and continue with the Dr Johns?

Thanks in advance 

Paul

Used Purina pro plan for my pups and they really thrived, only needed a bag or 2 before they were onto Autarkey(think that's correct spelling) junior food.

My remaining dog refuses to eat any dry stuff now and I can't be bothered fighting anymore so she just gets cheap tinned wet food and is none the worse for it

19 minutes ago, paul87 said:

She has no bother eating it and seems to be thriving on it. I've attached some pictures, she is a good lump of a pup for 7 weeks.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of Dr Johns, good or bad?

IMG-20211101-WA0003.jpg

SnipImage.JPG

Hello, I haven't used the puppy food but have used the adult version often, without any problem. Lovely dog, regards

10 hours ago, paul87 said:

Hello again all
Just picked up a new pup yesterday, the breeder has her on Dr Johns Puppy chicken. It seems to get fairly good reviews online but wanted to know if anyone else has any experience with it or other recommendations for a dry food?

I used beta with my last pup but it didn't agree with her and then moved her on to pets at homes own brand,wainwrights, which she thrived on. The pup is in very good condition, she is fairly big for the age and her stools are good. Looking for advice if you would reccomend something else or if it's a case of if she is doing well let her be and continue with the Dr Johns?

Thanks in advance 

Paul

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it 👍

Edited by bigbird

1 hour ago, ninjaferret said:

Hill's science plan

Funny you should mention that as the vet sent us home with a bag of it yesterday as part of the puppy pack when registering her.
I compared the ingredients and to my untrained eye the Dr Johns could arguably better when it comes to meat content for almost a third of the price. Hills has 27.6% Protein vs 27% and the rest of the ingredients seem fairly comparible.

Hills Science plan growth large breed
with Chicken: Maize, chicken (17%) and turkey meal (total poultry 26%), animal fat, digest, maize gluten meal, dried beet pulp, cellulose, minerals, flaxseed, fish oil, soybean oil, vitamins, trace elements and beta-carotene. With a natural antioxidant (mixed tocopherols).

Dr Johns
Poultry meal (30% chicken), wheat, barley, maize, chicken fat, maize gluten, beet pulp (1.9%), salmon oil (1.25%), FOS (0.625%), minerals, linseed, yucca extract.

Price is not an issue, I want the best for the pup at the end of the day. But she is eating well, growing well and has good stools. 

All my dogs are fed with Dr John’s and have always found the dogs do well on it, and have no issues with it.

I bred my 2 ESS dogs back in February and the litter of pups were weaned onto DrJohns puppy food really easy and thrived on it.

Each pup left for their new home with a 10kg bag of food and the new owners are still feeding Dr John’s.

A mate of mine will only feed his dogs Field & Trial and won’t entertain anything else.

His dogs don’t work any better or look any better, than mine and pays a lot more.

I kept a dog pup back and he is doing really well on Dr John’s and have no need to change what I’m feeding.

I have used Arkwrights in the past which is manufactured by the same people and found this as good on the adult dogs.

If your dog is looking well on the Dr John’s and has no issues, I would continue feeding with same food.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2021 at 11:54, paul87 said:

Funny you should mention that as the vet sent us home with a bag of it yesterday as part of the puppy pack when registering her.
I compared the ingredients and to my untrained eye the Dr Johns could arguably better when it comes to meat content for almost a third of the price. Hills has 27.6% Protein vs 27% and the rest of the ingredients seem fairly comparible.

Hills Science plan growth large breed
with Chicken: Maize, chicken (17%) and turkey meal (total poultry 26%), animal fat, digest, maize gluten meal, dried beet pulp, cellulose, minerals, flaxseed, fish oil, soybean oil, vitamins, trace elements and beta-carotene. With a natural antioxidant (mixed tocopherols).

Dr Johns
Poultry meal (30% chicken), wheat, barley, maize, chicken fat, maize gluten, beet pulp (1.9%), salmon oil (1.25%), FOS (0.625%), minerals, linseed, yucca extract.

Price is not an issue, I want the best for the pup at the end of the day. But she is eating well, growing well and has good stools. 

If cost is no issue, for a dry kibble I don't think you can beat orijen, or as a very close second for alot less eden, I specifically use eden country cuisine working for all my dogs now, I get it for about £60 per 15kg and it is heads and shoulders above previously considered premium foods like eukanuba or science plan, the only issue I've seen with eden or orijen foods is they can be a touch rich for some dogs, but their ingredients are second to none. I have worked many dogs and I definitely notice the difference in the dogs condition and tone.