Just a short video of grey squirrels and a Jay

19 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Good video, excellent work. As someone who has seen jays destroy song bird nests I am happy you have helped control the population. Great work 👍

Yes you would have seen them destroy songbird nests (and non songbird nests ) it's what they do to make a living ,they can't all eat seeds,although I believe after nesting season that's what they do (at least Acorns anyway).They are a terrible persecuter of Acorns.

Nice clinical video as usual always enjoy watching.

Edited by holloway

😚 My phone is being stupid and can't delete the face, thanks for all the good feedback guys. In my eyes Jay's are just as bad as a magpie for taking song birds and destroying nest that is why I have no hesitation in shooting them. I'd rather see the song birds on the feeders than a Jay any day of the week. 

Really do appreciate the feedback and comments though thank you 👍

12 hours ago, Martlandhw100 said:

In my eyes Jay's are just as bad as a magpie for taking song birds and destroying nest that is why I have no hesitation in shooting them.

Agree 

13 hours ago, holloway said:

it's what they do to make a living ,they can't all eat seeds

Do not disagree, but we have hoards of corvids and plummeting dong bird numbers. 

23 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

You have hoards of Jays? C'mon, Crows, Magpies etc yes, but not Jays. I consider it a treat to see one, their numbers do not really justify killing them, in my opinion, like I said each to his own, but it's not for me.

Yes. I can have 5 at a time in my garden, they are more common here than magpies.

In your specific experience you do not see many, and so in projection you do not like people shooting them. I would expect more awareness from a fieldsports enthusiast or countryman. It would be the same logic as someone from Formby saying they find the shooting of grey squirrels “distasteful” because there are not many of them about.

Under the umbrella of Field sport's enthusiast or countryman I reserve the right to shoot that which I consider vermin (within the Law). I have seen more Jays these last 10 years than in the previous 50 so I am aware their numbers are growing, but I still have no desire to kill them as our Woods are full of Songbirds, more so after 3 years of Squirrel control, if I considered the Jays to be causing serious damage to the local endangered birds that inhabit our woodland I may consider my options again, but for now I am more than happy to sit in the hide and watch them.

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Under the umbrella of Field sport's enthusiast or countryman I reserve the right to shoot that which I consider vermin (within the Law). I have seen more Jays these last 10 years than in the previous 50 so I am aware their numbers are growing, but I still have no desire to kill them as our Woods are full of Songbirds, more so after 3 years of Squirrel control, if I considered the Jays to be causing serious damage to the local endangered birds that inhabit our woodland I may consider my options again, but for now I am more than happy to sit in the hide and watch them.

Yes I 100% agree that one reserves the right to shoot only what you consider justifiable in each circumstance. For example I will only lamp rabbits if the numbers are very high causing damage to a crop or pasture, as the numbers are low locally.

However, your statement (that you found the shooting of jays to be “distasteful”), is way beyond simply not shooting them where there is no need to shoot them - or staying that you do not shoot them as there is no local justification to do so. Thus goes beyond that simple agreeable comment and becomes the condemnation of another’s lawful and justifiable pest control, with no appreciation of the specific circumstances that pest control was taken in.

Well now there's a shocker, thought free speech was still alive and kicking? Clearly not, I find a great many things distasteful, would you like the full list and my own justification for my feelings, if the OP wants to shoot Jays crack on, but I still find it distasteful. I very much doubt that I would shoot one even if needed, I find them intriguing and mysterious having spent many years as a youth trying to see one. I would have far less pleasure killing one that watching it, my choice.

36 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Fair enough, you are entitled to voice your opinion 👍

Anyway, apologies for me detailing the thread. It was a good video and I enjoyed watching it. Please keep them coming. 

Thanks mate will do just finding the time to get out at the moment, but if the feeders are kepted topped up they will keep coming 👍