Wildcats...anyone have one?

About 20 years ago I thought I would look at developing a wildcat cartr4idge. I had a number of friends in the USA who did have one or two in their collections.  I looked at potential caese and of course was constrained a bit by being here in the UK. Eventualy I choe the 7x57 rimmed case and rew up some specificications.  I had a friend in the North East of the USA who built barrels  and actions, infact anyhting you needed almost by some fancy electr0 removal of material . I asked him if he could build me a barrel and chamber it for MY cartridge.  Now I have  used and owned a 257 Roberts which is a superb all round deer rifle and also a good varmint cartridge as well and this cartridge is based on the 7x57 Mauser case but unrimmed.

I designated the barrel/ cartridge the 257 RRI    (Roberts rimmed improved).  Now when you start planning and building a wildcat you have a 50 50 chance of success IF YOU ARE LUCKY.

I was lucky and my cartridge shoots very well indeed.  The quater inchers are very much ignored by deer hunters but they will do the job the 25-06 being a prime example.

My cartridge almost shows the performace of a 25-06.

My friend in the USA also produced a full set of dies for me so I can load my own shells no problem.

I also saw where he ahd done some barrels with the spark erosion system and asked him if he could do my barrel the same. No problem , he set it in the machine and left it overnight to do the job. 

I know there are a few every day cartridges today which started life as wildcats and the factories then turned them out. 

Anyone have a real interesting one?

015.JPG

016.JPG

12 minutes ago, Steel100 said:

Don't have one myself, but a friend has a .25/.303 (.25/303??) from Australia. On a LE action and originally intended for swatting roos, I believe.

Andy

Yes, that is a popular cartridge out in Australia.  I also have a 22 Bench Rest which I have to size from 6mm BR cases so I suppose a sort of wildcat along with my 375JDJ which at one time you could buy factory for in the USA but unheard of here I believe.  Necked down 444 Marlin case. It is an awesome round and if you don't hold it properly it will bite at both ends, particularly in the 16 inch barrel I have on my Encore. .  A lot of the cartridges we shoot today started off as wildcats, even the 243 Winchester, 257 |Roberts,  7-30 Waters, 25-06.  It is great fun having the only cartridge in the world though.

Well, it's never been easy to build your own wildcat in this country.  Very conservative views and legislative difficulties making it a big pain.  I've shot a .257 Ackley Improved built about 35 years ago for a friend of mine, using a Mauser action, Parker-Hale stock and personally imported Douglas barrel.  My first three shots went into one oval under half an inch at 100yds. off a bag rest.  

You initially, mentioned starting from a 7X57R - another friend, who collects sporting rifles, has a couple of these. Oddly, one is a bolt-action sporter, re-barreled from 7.92X57. We couldn't work out why any one would deliberately, choose to spend money re-barreling a bolt gun to that calibre - unless they had a lot of 7X57R ammo!

All good fun

Andy