Revelation!

Scully

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

After a lifelong aversion to Marmite and peanut butter, have discovered Marmite crunchy peanut butter! Love the stuff on hot buttered toast! 🤔

It'll be peanut butter and jam next [together] or peanut butter and sliced cucumber, Marmite was made for hot buttered toast😎

37 minutes ago, islandgun said:

It'll be peanut butter and jam next [together] or peanut butter and sliced cucumber, Marmite was made for hot buttered toast😎

I was once given some marmite sandwiches as a kid and thought it was awful stuff, and as an adult my only association with the stuff was sucking it off those twiglet things! 
Anyhow, OH ( a lifelong fan ) bought a jar at the weekend and it’s going down well. 🙂

No bovril  and or marmite is horrible but is useful to add a bit of depth and colour to Sunday roast gravy if desired.

on warm white toast it has to be Binghams beef spread with a good quantity of butter especially after a few pints down the local.

peanut butter not a fan either 

Agriv8 

I’ve eaten Marmite on toast all my life, it’s delicious and good for you, peanut butter just sticks to the roof of my mouth, tasteless horrible stuff, but when we moved to Yorkshire we were introduced to the delights of ‘mucky fat’ on toast, my arteries have never forgiven me.

24 minutes ago, ozalid said:

Yorkshire we were introduced to the delights of ‘mucky fat’ on toast, my arteries have never forgiven me.

The long haired indoor general loves that. I put her a pot to one side if I cook pork. Beef dripping isn't the same.

Unfortunately the mere smell of it makes me gip, that and tripe. I have no adverse reaction to any other smell.

3 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

The long haired indoor general loves that. I put her a pot to one side if I cook pork. Beef dripping isn't the same.

Unfortunately the mere smell of it makes me gip, that and tripe. I have no adverse reaction to any other smell.

in the 70's when i was doing my agric' apprenticship ........i forgot my sandwiches one day ..so at breakfast the cowman said i will make you a sandwich at my cottage....so we got there he made some toast and it had beef dripping on it....it was really good and tasty........i said you must eat a lot of beef.....he said no i dont really i have cans of beef dripping....so he showed me his larder and in it every shelf was full of beef dripping in green cans that had printing on the side 

WD 1942

woooooowwwwooooooooo

28 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Tripe, now you’re talking, my old man being a Yorkshireman born in 1914 was a big offal fan, we regularly had tripe for tea, served cold with bread and butter, sprinkled with salt and vinegar, delicious! We never have it these days, its too bloody expensive….well that and my wife hates the mere thought of eating it.

Edited by ozalid

Just the sight of tripe makes me gag, but my dear old Dad loved potted meat! As a young lad I can often recall seeing pigs trotters boiling away in a pan at my Grandmas house, which she would eventually render into potted meat with a layer of dripping atop to ‘seal it in’. 🙂

1 hour ago, ozalid said:

Tripe, now you’re talking, my old man being a Yorkshireman born in 1914 was a big offal fan, we regularly had tripe for tea, served cold with bread and butter, sprinkled with salt and vinegar, delicious! We never have it these days, its too bloody expensive….well that and my wife hates the mere thought of eating it.

My grandads used to have tripe cold, or tripe and opinions, lashings of salt and vinegar all the family had it at some point. Almost give away at the butchers.

Potted meat I love, my grandkids do too.

Chickling and bag anybody? 

Got to be honest, i hate cooked tripe and only eat it cold. Chitterlings and pig bag, just regular grub when I was a kid, unbelievably tasty, high protein, fantastic food. kids today don’t know what they’re missing, most adults too!

Edited by ozalid

I'll have to sneak some of that marmite peanut butter in next time I'm shopping, sounds interesting, like an even more savoury peanut butter?

I thought my grandparents drank bovril, turns out they actually just drank dissolved beef oxo cubes.

A lot of these foods being talked about are associated with the older generations, bear in mind I'm in my mid 30s but when I was in high school a friend arrived in with a pigs trotter for his lunch, another day it was an eyeball of some description, the thought of the eyeball still makes me nearly boke.

53 minutes ago, ozalid said:

Got to be honest, i hate cooked tripe and only eat it cold. Chitterlings and pig bag, just regular grub when I was a kid, unbelievably tasty, high protein, fantastic food. kids today don’t know what they’re missing, most adults too!

I had no idea what chitterlings were until recently, there's a program of Jack Hargreaves on YouTube showing a pig being butchered and all the cuts, chitterlings were one of the parts he took. Programs like that should be required viewing for school children

You’re absolutely right about these foods associated with older folk, I’m 70 and offal was regularly on the menu at our house and it wasn’t because we were poor, it was because there were proper butchers who sold all this stuff, it was tasty food. I can still remember a pile of steaming pigs trotters in the middle of the table at tea time, many a time my mother would boil a pigs head to make brawn, heaven on a plate!

I'm a couple of years younger than your @Rob85but we were introduced to them by my grandad really. He'd eat any old filth - case and point he blew up a little fridge one Xmas wedging a 30lb turkey into it and then made my gran cook it despite it smelling of electrical fire and burnt plastic, and he ate it and said how nice it was! He used to be friendly with an old boy who ran an abattoir over Stafford way and he'd regularly get phoned up to see if he wanted half of some casualty or other they'd had in. I can remember being probably 6 or 7 and one Saturday morning sitting in the front room with him watching him eat a trotter with tomato sauce and he said I could have one if I wanted it! Straight into the kitchen and grabbed a tepid trotter off the rayburn and a big dollop of tomato sauce.

Then on holidays to France we've tried various incarnations of tripe sausages and chittlins 🤮 not my favourite. They still taste a bit like pigs smell!

Then as I got older I had a few pigs and we've made pigs head pate (brawn) and potted trotters and I love that sort of thing. I sent 3 pigs off on Monday so hopefully there's a bit of poverty fare to come over the weekend. 

I can't bear liver and that's 100% my mother's fault. She's a terrible cook and tried to force us to eat liver one day as kids and it was bitter and dark and irony and YUK! But now again being older and wiser and a fairly proficient chef I use hearts, liver and kidney in faggots and even the eldest who is fussy beyond belief will eat a venison meatball as long as its called a meatball not a faggot!

Back on topic I used tonhate marmite too but now I like it more than Mrs BTJ and she moans I spread it too thick!

9 hours ago, amateur said:

Did anyone else notice that the taste of Marmite changed quite a bit during lockdown when the manufacturers couldn't access their usual brewer's yeast.

It tasted much thinner to me.

Squeeze marmite was definitely thinner already so I can believe that. I make a Marmite cake and it needs the jar stuff. 

I tried chilli Marmite this week. Good, my friend said now it feels like something is missing from plain Marmite.  I think it is probably the best replacement we'll get for the XO Marmite.