Stock Refinish by post

Cawdor118

Evening team, Im looking to send a Beretta 686 S stock and forend off to be satin oil finished. 

The current lacquer finish is looking somewhat shabby after many years. Do you know of anyone who is good? Im not wanting to spend massive bucks on it as its not worth that much. 

Send me options if you wouldn't mind? Ideally with references. 

Cheers 👍

Edited by Cawdor118

45 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

Evening team, Im looking to send a Beretta 686 S stock and forend off to be oil finished. 

The current lacquer finish is looking somewhat shabby after many years. Do you know of anyone who is good? Im not wanting to spend massive bucks on it as its not worth that much. 

Send me options if you wouldn't mind? Ideally with references. 

Cheers 👍

I can recommend Demonwolf 444

the quality of his work is awesome

however if  you don’t want to spend massive bucks so it’s probably best to do it yourself  

this type of work is very time consuming and not cheap 

5E9F9479-9E2F-42A7-9146-CC530E0CD76E.jpeg

0053F1A3-EEB0-4B76-BB1F-3ACC590CBBDE.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

I would, but I respect it more than that. I don't think I could nail the chequering. 

@demonwolf444 - what do you think? Any examples?

Go looking for the Woodworking Gunsmith, lots of his work on there, not cheap, but lovely work.

Old Farrier uses him quite a bit.

When I say oil finish, im not after a mirror finish. IM just after a polished finish. A mirror polish would take hours!

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Go looking for the Woodworking Gunsmith, lots of his work on there, not cheap, but lovely work.

Old Farrier uses him quite a bit.

Just now, Cawdor118 said:

When I say oil finish, im not after a mirror finish. IM just after a polished finish. A mirror polish would take hours!

May be called a satin finish?

22 hours ago, Old farrier said:

It’s not a mirror finish the oil was still wet and drying between coats oil finish is a complicated process and all finishes are time consuming 

you could also try Welshwarrior on here 

another one of the good guys 8A24FDC1-5FA5-4840-A34D-A4973DD6A0DA.jpeg.e6a28e68928e0280a93aee2dca27cb63.jpeg

@welshwarriorwhat do you think? Is it something you would tackle?

20 hours ago, London Best said:

Not hours.......WEEKS!

Gotcha! my apologies. 

8 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

Do it yourself - not difficult and I’m guessing the wood on the 686 ain’t a grade 5. 

I re did mine using https://www.slipperydicksgunwax.co.uk

There are some good instructional videos on you tube by the guy making the stuff. 

before

64ACA0EB-0BC6-485A-9DF4-527789C0F2B0.jpeg

stripped

4FC19412-D46C-4CDC-A2E8-6E16216F2384.jpeg

oiled and dye

A36563E4-A0FD-4645-83DA-955B093E7F5A.jpeg

1FEC2236-3B00-4033-858E-5EFCE8ADBBBE.jpeg

That came out exactly as I want mines! Here is an example of mines. 

20211103_173409.jpg

I bought a Birchwood kit and did a 410 stock ,took 9 days ,I taped masking tape on the chequering ,the important things are the preparation  and leave to dry for a long time without rushing to get the next coat on, I used 600 and 1000 grit wet and dry wiped over with white spirit then used Bodyshop tak cloths to clean all the residue flour  from sanding , this winter doing a 17hmr stock and forend the stock has a deep score mark which I have already got out by using a damp cloth and a clothes iron  to draw it out  and a Sharp Innova which has cabinet marks.