Canada Waterfowl Day 2

Dave at kelton

Day 2 started much as yesterday but warmer at only -8 with coyotes still howling and quarrelling. A 45 minute drive to another stubble field and a big hide to be built again for duck and Canada’s. Whilst setting the decoys a skein of about 30 snow geese headed up the field but too wide and before shooting light. Given this was our second trip and the first we had seen this was pretty irritating. Settled in our hides we watched a coyote wander up the decoy line like a big Alsatian on a Sunday stroll. 

it was about 9.00 by the time the duck moved but coming in from over a mile away they swirled and slid by before committing to the goose decoys. Shooting was challenging as we dropped the front of the hide and stood to pick our birds. Then we heard more snows and saw forty or so crossing to our left before the guide managed to call them and give us the chance of the shot we had come to Canada for. Twelve shots for 13 geese and one gun misfired. We were then getting alternate challenges on duck and Canada’s before packing up at 11.00.

Afternoon hunt was snow geese as the guides had found a pod they thought would decoy. This is hard work with 1200 decoys to go out before settling in to low chairs wearing white painters coats. Decoys are carried on sack trucks and put into perspective lugging a little pigeon gear. There then followed the most amazing flight for 16.30 as wave after wave of geese hit the stubble field. At any time we could have several hundred geese stacked above the decoys in layers from about 150 yds or more high down to groups wheeling over the decoys at head height. They even landed next to you or buzzed by so close you could have caught them. Shooting for the next 75 minutes was fast and furious as we took the chance we had waited two years for. All I will say is we had a substantial bag well within our state limit. A day I shall never forget, even the duck whistling through as we lay in our chairs waiting for the snows was incredible!

C66C0FFA-7400-4E09-82A0-00296C740A34.jpeg

5D976FA2-16DE-48EA-8168-5541A0E08EDC.jpeg

Certainly a eye opener Dave , the amount of decoys put out is something we would never think about and when it comes to decoying they don't cut  any corners and have got it down to a fine art , I went to the states on holiday once and called in a decoy shop in Carmel to brose and not to buy as the decoys would have needed me taking out another mortgage , the skill of the decoy makers made the decoys look life like and I honestly believe that if they had Wood Pigeons in the states they would be better at decoying and producing better decoys than ourselves .

Another interesting write up and maybe you have picked up a few tips to try when you get back to the U K . ?