Loading 410's with a Lee Loadall

I have been doing some playing around with the 3d printer and conversions for my Lee Loadall, i can now load 10 bore, 28 bore and 410's with the same machine without any alterations and can go back to 12 bore in seconds.

Here is a video of the 410 one in use.

Edited by aberisle

21 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

seems a dogy way of measuring shot.....relying on column height,there can be loads of variation in base wad volume,that could give excessive heavy shot load.

When i have checked the weight of the shot load it is within 1 gram of the weight required, these are subsonic loads and i dont think going over the shot weight by a gram would do  much.

When you check shop bought rounds and cut them open you find they never have the right amount of shot as advertised on the box, i have just opened an RC Superfast 34 gram and that has 34.8 grams of shot in it and that is a high pressure magnum steel load so that should worry me more than a 2.5" low pressure in a 3" chambered gun.

On 03/11/2021 at 13:47, aberisle said:

I have been doing some playing around with the 3d printer and conversions for my Lee Loadall, i can now load 10 bore, 28 bore and 410's with the same machine without any alterations and can go back to 12 bore in seconds.

Here is a video of the 410 one in use.

Would a push in crimp starter and finisher save handling them. It looks like there's enough room. Then pull them out and change calibers when required. 

I'm trying a similar idea for 2 1/2 20 gauge i know you can shorten the the crimp finisher to do it but I'm not sure. 

I did try that in one of the earlier variations the push in crimp starter works well, but the crimp finisher is based on the MEC style of finisher where you have a tapered tube with a punch that pushes down and closes the crimp, MEC uses a cam to operate the punch.

I have tried doing a spring loaded punch that would push down and close the crimp and then pop up when released and free the cartridge but i could not get it to work well enough.

1 hour ago, aberisle said:

I did try that in one of the earlier variations the push in crimp starter works well, but the crimp finisher is based on the MEC style of finisher where you have a tapered tube with a punch that pushes down and closes the crimp, MEC uses a cam to operate the punch.

I have tried doing a spring loaded punch that would push down and close the crimp and then pop up when released and free the cartridge but i could not get it to work well enough.

That's a shame the lee people are missing out especially with the .410 I've seen so many videos saying why not. Especially now the yanks are hooked on tss shot. 

On 03/11/2021 at 14:00, DUNKS said:

Wow that's what I call painful. I would hate to be loading a slab at that speed..

Well it is but it all depends on how many you shoot.  That's about how my father and grandfather used to load in the late forties and into the fifties. They knocked the primers out with a bike spoke over a block of wood with a hole drilled in it. Made the wads with a wad punch using thick felt and cardboard boxes. The powder and shot were scooped out and they had a hand operated roll turn tool. No one went out and bought a thousand, no one shot clays, (can't eat clays),. When they went out every weekend they probably only carried 20 cartridges between them and every shot had to count.  Also back in those days no one had fridges or freezers so they only shot what they could eat or sell. So it's all a matter of balance. As long as they go bang and the target falls they do the job required.

11 minutes ago, Minky said:

Well it is but it all depends on how many you shoot.  That's about how my father and grandfather used to load in the late forties and into the fifties. They knocked the primers out with a bike spoke over a block of wood with a hole drilled in it. Made the wads with a wad punch using thick felt and cardboard boxes. The powder and shot were scooped out and they had a hand operated roll turn tool. No one went out and bought a thousand, no one shot clays, (can't eat clays),. When they went out every weekend they probably only carried 20 cartridges between them and every shot had to count.  Also back in those days no one had fridges or freezers so they only shot what they could eat or sell. So it's all a matter of balance. As long as they go bang and the target falls they do the job required.

Edit..... in fact I have a Tayside reloader set that was promoted in about 1973 and the set is all simple hand tools. The instruction sheet states that it is possible to load a box a night.!!  A bit different to my Mec 9000.

Edited by Minky