Extreme pheasant shooting with steel shot

B725

A couple of years ago I asked about extreme pheasant shooting so now I'm wondering if that will continue if using steel shot. Some claiming that they had been shooting 60_70 yards or more consistently. As I have yet to shoot a single shot with steel I cannot comment so I am wondering what others think about it.

It was interesting reading but using half of your mum's sherry trifle as a method of measuring how effective it is doesn't translate into the very high bird shooting some people like to do. I don't want to cause any argument as I have never done extreme or steel shot

17 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

Nor have I.

I guess we should ask the wildfowl shooters for their thoughts on how steel works in the real world.

Just remember though, its pattern that kills. Obviously with sufficient penetration.

I am aware that many people shoot geese and and duck at sensible distance its the extreme stuff I am curious about, who shoots geese or duck at 70 yard's I never would.

49 minutes ago, B725 said:

A couple of years ago I asked about extreme pheasant shooting so now I'm wondering if that will continue if using steel shot. Some claiming that they had been shooting 60_70 yards or more consistently. As I have yet to shoot a single shot with steel I cannot comment so I am wondering what others think about it.

Best thing you can do is give it a trial yourself and make up your own mind ,opinions on here range from dreadful inhuman rubbish to as good as lead ,not surprisingly the wildfowlers who have been using it for several years will tell you it is absolutely fine and the rest who have maybe tried it once or twice will tell you it's awful ,they can't both be wrong ! 

I have shot it for years at wildfowl and I would happily shoot it at anything I would shoot lead at.shooting anything at extreme ranges to me isn't ethical anyway.

Worth remembering that shooting wildfowl at extreme range (consistently)would be frowned on as inhumane anyway.

Then this thread will be used for Basc bashing ,....always seems to end that way......

Given that steel works and the BASC commissioned report suggests steel has sufficient lethality at their 50 yd test, the simple way for you to make a judgement is to pattern with full choke at 60 yards. You will then know if your gun would do the job. Obviously presuming you are capable.

Edited by CharlieT

From a Wildfowlers point of view i  would say my distance for steel would be 40 yards max, with the 10bore and BB or BBB maybe 50yds and bear in mind that given the feathers and down on a Duck or Goose can be pretty dense so maybe steel would work at longer distances  on Pheasants that dont have much on them in the way of "padding" that Wildfowl have.

I’ve shot very high pheasants with lead, and pretty high geese with steel.

I would not go on an ‘extreme’ day with steel as I’d feel like I’d need substantial load (40g+) of something like 2’s and that wouldn’t go as far as lead kills.

If and when the time comes to shoot steel on normal game, I’ll start … but not at extended ranges.

Edited by Smokersmith

The fact that there will be more pellets with steel in the 30" circle will help maintain an adequate pellet density of 120 - 150, so the limit of a humane kill is going to be below 50 yards, closer to 45.

If you like to see pheasants 'flintching' which happens when hit in the guts or breast, that would be an individuals choice if they stray beyond 45 yards.

I wouldn't consider using them at range until tested on the pattern plate.

Edited by Shotkam

31 minutes ago, B725 said:

Just to clarify I have no intention of ever shooting extreme pheasant or anything as it is beyond my skills ,the question was for anyone who does will it continue with steel.

As I said earlier, I haven't tried steel. When the time comes, I will pattern my guns and shoot accordingly.

I will however continue to shoot testing birds at the maximum range gun and cartridge will permit and enjoy being out with like minded folk. After all, that's what it's all about.

Don't get too hung up on the word extreme.  High bird shooting is a much more realistic description, extreme is a buzz word coined by journalists and idiots.

Edited by CharlieT

As Charlie T said it’s pattern that kills together with penetration, so the recommendation is to go up two sizes in shot size for steel, which to then deliver the velocity/energy and pattern for high (extreme) birds will require such game shooters to be using 3.1/2inch chambered semi autos, not your 2.5inch or 2.3/4inch fine English gun.

However given the nature of the sport then tungsten based shot may become the norm for such extreme shoots.

1 minute ago, rbrowning2 said:

As Charlie T said it’s pattern that kills together with penetration, so the recommendation is to go up two sizes in shot size for steel, which to then deliver the velocity/energy and pattern for high (extreme) birds will require such game shooters to be using 3.1/2inch chambered semi autos, not your 2.5inch or 2.3/4inch fine English gun.

However given the nature of the sport then tungsten based shot may become the norm for such extreme shoots.

Agreed. The first nontoxic shot I will consider will be tungsten and then take it from there.

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

basc need to check out the land officer on the tube then about the most honest vid on steel with a 20b you will see no frills decoying in the field 35yrds and your done fair play to the man for his honesty exactly the same findings as myself and crew and I think he’s being over generous at 35yrds 

Yes watched that and the brands he was using i found were throwing rubbish patterns. I've open quite a few of them and there's a massive difference in the loads, as much as 10% on some. 

Not a patch on my home loaded 20g steel but no one should be trying 50 plus yard pigeons anyway even with lead. 

As for extreme pheasants why would you definitely more pricked birds than kills. 

1 hour ago, TIDES EDGE said:

32GM  Steel 3 shot works on 40yd mallard so why not on pheasant  .

Exactly 👍 add Teal  in fact any legal species of Wildfowl. I have or never will be a driven game shot being a Wildfowler through and through but i was on a driven Pheasant where most was using what I'd describe a mini mag lead goose cartridges myself Gamebore Super Steel 32grm 4 shot let's just say i more than held my own