Fauxdegla

ChrisO

Me and my pal had our first trip overseas on Saturday, from Chester to Fauxdegla. We left the girls at the hotel in Chester and set off for Wrexham.

First impressions were a mix of being impressed and a little daunted too. As novices from Manchester, we’re not quite used to the scenery, nor the impeccable appearance of a premier ground. Everything was tidy and new looking, grassed areas all neat, no litter, just a very well looked after ground.

We bought our clays, £ 30 per 100 which is cheaper than we’re used to. Got loads of advice and instruction from the lady owner. She introduced herself and her husband, who was as equally helpful as his wife. I have read previous posts where they were described less favourably, I honestly could not fault them. We spoke to them throughout the day, in the cafe, when topping up our clay cards and when seeking advice regarding the DTL and Skeet stands and they genuinely couldn’t do enough to help. The ground lads were great too, Adam in particular was super helpful.

The only down side was the sun, which can’t be helped. It rendered half the sporting layout impossible until the afternoon, but there’s so much else to go at, it really doesn’t matter.

We went through 400 carts between us and had a cracking time. It’s only 1.5 hours from us, well worth the trip.

We’ll definitely be going again soon.

B9983173-4DB4-4299-95E7-8545B5F84D47.jpeg

E842B670-5EF6-4ED7-BE0C-2C0EAF2A3CDF.jpeg

8C6F1B6A-4EE3-49F2-A166-4223693F5139.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Myself and a couple mates went there about three months ago,half the the stands we had broken clays coming out,and three of the stands were shut,something to do with the wind blowing the wrong way and the noise factor,at 30 quid for a hundred birds we didnt think it was value for money,we shoot at catton hall on a wednesday and pay 25 quid for 100 birds,a far better ground by far,you could do it in under the hour.Would we go to fauxdegla again,no chance.

On 03/01/2022 at 19:57, gemini52 said:

Myself and a couple mates went there about three months ago,half the the stands we had broken clays coming out,and three of the stands were shut,something to do with the wind blowing the wrong way and the noise factor,at 30 quid for a hundred birds we didnt think it was value for money,we shoot at catton hall on a wednesday and pay 25 quid for 100 birds,a far better ground by far,you could do it in under the hour.Would we go to fauxdegla again,no chance.

Now £32 at Faux (Non-members)

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2022 at 19:57, gemini52 said:

And its £45 at Mendip shooting ground by Wells in Somerset.

On 06/01/2022 at 14:07, discobob said:

Now £32 at Faux (Non-members)

On 18/01/2022 at 14:38, sportsbob said:

And its £45 at Mendip shooting ground by Wells in Somerset.

On 19/01/2022 at 08:51, HantsRob said:

To be fair I was thinking the same, I'd love a local ground that did a hundred for £30! 

Am I right in assuming these prices are all clays only?

I've not been shooting recently, so been out of the loop on current pricing, but I did take the missus shooting this week - 100 clays and 50 20g cartridges cost me £38 (non-member). Which I knew was reasonable, but it looks like a bargain compared to the prices posted here.

36 minutes ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

I've not been shooting recently, so been out of the loop on current pricing, but I did take the missus shooting this week - 100 clays and 50 20g cartridges cost me £38 (non-member). Which I knew was reasonable, but it looks like a bargain compared to the prices posted here.

Yep - clays only 

1 hour ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

Absolutely. Local ranges from 37-40p a clay give or take, sometimes a second round being a touch cheaper. £38 is great but not sure why you only had 50 cartridges for 100 clays? That’s going to affect your averages ;)

2 hours ago, HantsRob said:

£38 is great but not sure why you only had 50 cartridges for 100 clays? That’s going to affect your averages

As a Yorkshireman, I'll only shoot stands where the pair cross thus saving ammunition by killing two birds with one cartridge. 

I use a 12g and have a stash of them at home, whereas the missus uses a 20g and needed some ammo. 

I'll add that the £38 included the loan of the 20g gun too. But I don't think they bothered charging me for it.