Little to tell...

matone

The recent thread bemoaning the lack of shooting reports prompted me to check the years diary,as it seems to have been a dismal year for pigeons personally! 9 recorded outings were mostly quiet spells of contemplation,30 being my best outing the rest adding only 36.

Have others been similarly lacking in opportunities?

I’ve only recently managed to gain some pigeon shooting through my wildfowling club membership, I’ve been out a handful of times, and had a mixed bag of pigeons and crows on all occasions. very low numbers,but that’s just my shooting 🤣 and learning the land as I go. Hopefully things will get better as I learn the land and the flight lines etc. 

I've been out a handful of times due to studying for an exam, work and the kids. One cracking day on drillings that would easily have topped a ton, we stopped just short as time was getting on and i needed to process them and do dinner. The rest were average at best although fun all the same. I intend to get out a bit more this coming year now the pressure has eased off a little. 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

I had an awful summer overall but one day shot 210 with my little boy. The crops were all out of sync up here then went over then harvested all at once in one window so couldn’t follow the combine week to week. 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

I had an awful summer overall but one day shot 210 with my little boy. The crops were all out of sync up here then went over then harvested all at once in one window so couldn’t follow the combine week to week. 

Just now, mossy835 said:

thats very good well done,.

Had a very good summer here (for our area), most of which was down to cropping and the fields/farms said crops were grown in. Peas were a bumper crop for me this year, more so than previous years….I shot over 600 off one block for example which I’ve not done for years! 
Have shot over 2000 from June until now, but getting rid of them has proved the biggest challenge……literally no game dealers within reasonable distance are taking them which put us off going out at certain points and the freezers are nearly full again. 
The way the cropping is for next year I don’t predict getting anything like the shooting I have this year, but I’ll not stop looking! 
It’s hard going when times are lean, but you can’t find what isn’t there. 

Very true! It has been an unusual year for many I guess ,with some different cropping patterns coupled with a weather disrupted harvest which meant that normally attractive food sources did not get the expected attention.

This next year will be interesting with more stewardship margins and fields down to clover mixes etc in once blanket cereal/rape areas.