Jump to content

Semi auto prejudice,


redial
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just semi retired and would like to return to clays.

I like the idea of a semi but don't want to be frowned upon by fellow shooters.

 I remember them not being too welcome on DTL lines. 

Sporting and skeet not a problem if you collect your spent cartridges. I would of course use a flag and slip.

This was back in the 80's 90's.

 Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with the March of time semi's have become much more accepted, granted among the top tiers most will have an o/u, I do know a guy who shoots a beretta 303 for most of his clay shooting. Switches to his Winchester diamond grade o/u to shoot Olympic skeet. Sometimes for funsies he will bring out his mossberg pumper to shoot a line of skeet.

If you feel like having a semi auto then go for it. Get yourself a chamber flag for it and practice good range safety and there's no reason for people to be snobbish over your choice of gun.

The only place I don't think they belong is on a formal driven/walked up game shoot, but thats just tradition really. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, redial said:

if you collect your spent cartridges.

My pet hate. And, not collecting spent cartridges is not the monopoly of semi auto users. 
Call me old fashioned, but I regard not picking up cartridges as bad form, bad manners, disrespectful to other guns, and a misplaced arrogant belief that it’s someone else’s job to pick them up. And before someone asks, Yes, I have pointed out to offenders the error of their ways.

Rant over. And breathe………….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

No problem at the clay ground we use. Lots of folk use semis.. Few comments about machine guns but all in good fun.

and my Franchi is called "the black plastic monstrosity" by one person who has a walnut stocked semi auto, but it still beats him :) 

My main gun is a MK38 G5 sporter, the Franchi gets used on rain soaked days and fun days.

and dare I say that for proper fun days the 12g Mossy pump comes out which always brings a smile to the most hardened critic once they have a go

Just be safe and enjoy 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bobba said:

My pet hate. And, not collecting spent cartridges is not the monopoly of semi auto users. 
Call me old fashioned, but I regard not picking up cartridges as bad form, bad manners, disrespectful to other guns, and a misplaced arrogant belief that it’s someone else’s job to pick them up. And before someone asks, Yes, I have pointed out to offenders the error of their ways.

Rant over. And breathe………….

There are magnet sticks at a lot of the stands at the clay ground I use. Makes life easy all round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DUNKS said:

There are magnet sticks at a lot of the stands at the clay ground I use. Makes life easy all round.

A couple of grounds where I shoot have a fence line which you must not go over so picking up spent cartridges is not possible sometimes. But both grounds acknowledge that issue and have someone collect them at the end of each day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Robden said:

Not had a semi for years (Now, now...stop it!) Would the ejected cartridge hit the next person in DTL?

I think it wasn't so much as hitting them but going in their general direction and breaking concentration. The person on your right being the unlucky one on the line. Not that it ever bothered me to be on the receiving end. I realised many years ago that I wouldn't have to worry about shoot off's.

Edited by redial
Spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shoot predominately trap and I have mo problem whatsoever if the guy up stream has a semi auto. 

I would not get one myself for two reasons.

They are not as comfortable to use on a trap line , and a bit of a faff to make safe 

Secondly I am conscious of making sure all my empties get in the bins, the extra pratting around collecting the empties is something to avoid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have two things against semi autos.

1st, In the field I can't find the empties and hate to leave rubbish.

2nd, on clays, constant bending down or even picking up with a magnet sets off my Meniere's.

On a personal note, for that reason I gave up using one.

No objection to anyone using one anywhere, I think gun choice is a personal thing.

Although I do think the camo ones look bloody silly on a clay ground.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I have two things against semi autos.

1st, In the field I can't find the empties and hate to leave rubbish.

2nd, on clays, constant bending down or even picking up with a magnet sets off my Meniere's.

On a personal note, for that reason I gave up using one.

No objection to anyone using one anywhere, I think gun choice is a personal thing.

Although I do think the camo ones look bloody silly on a clay ground.

I agree with your comment on camouflage auto's.

 Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many years ago a Mates girlfriend asked why some shooters had camouflaged guns and camo jackets at a clay shoot?

 

Her point of view was that "they do not need to hide" from the clays!    Quite astute really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Many years ago a Mates girlfriend asked why some shooters had camouflaged guns and camo jackets at a clay shoot?

 

Her point of view was that "they do not need to hide" from the clays!    Quite astute really.

It has to be time for -

Smith, I didn't see you at camouflage training on Monday.

Thank you sir.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...