Strange question !!!.

samboy

Hi gang.

Why do dogs scrape their feet along the ground when they have just had a dump ?

Thanks all.

6 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Why do dogs scrape their feet along the ground when they have just had a dump ?

Thanks all.

with the size of the dog poo's ive seen about here....it maybe because the dog is easing its hip joints back into position before trotting off.........:hmm:

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2021 at 18:56, Centrepin said:

But when you did, those that know, know...

Mine ate  a load of sand one year on the beach on holiday she was a bit keen to get out the morning after. IShe cried and whimpered when she did her business it was like cement and took two poop bags must have weighed a kg or more  - she’s only a sprocker - not done it since strangly enough! 

i thought they normally pooped at the edge of there groups territory and the scratching was just part of this ritual marking. 

my sprocker does hers then can’t get away quickly enough !

So is this the same when they sometimes about to go to bed ? 

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

my sprocker does hers then can’t get away quickly enough !

Just like people, different dogs do different things for different reasons, but scuffing their back legs after a pee or poo is a very big marker, scrapping fresh dirt leaves a large scent from disturbed soil and the subsequent undulations trap the scent from their pads and faeces. 

Some timid dogs or sometimes if they're not well will try to hide their toilet as not to draw attention to themselves. 

If you really watch dogs and pay attention, their social behaviour can be fascinating, they're cabable of alot more (and sometimes less) emotion than we give them credit for. 

12 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

If you really watch dogs and pay attention, their social behaviour can be fascinating, they're cabable of alot more (and sometimes less) emotion than we give them credit for. 

I certainly agree with that. I was very poorly yesterday, one of my dogs curled up against my stomach and pushed into me, I had bad stomach pain. The other laid on  top of me keeping me immobile and helping my joint pains.

12 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I certainly agree with that. I was very poorly yesterday, one of my dogs curled up against my stomach and pushed into me, I had bad stomach pain. The other laid on  top of me keeping me immobile and helping my joint pains.

How do they know ? my aunt had a cocker that was my grandads shadow and flanking companion my gran always told the story of the day my grandad passed !

He’d retired with health about issues from farming  10’years before he had  his usual trip to Monday market to check in on ex farming friends and check he kept abreast of all the gossip.

So grandad came in at about 3 cup or tea in ‘his’ chair then the flat cap would be pulled down for his nap ! This is when the dog had her tea ready for her walk with grandad before he had his tea. Once he was asleep and the snoring started the dog would start looking for her tea - she was greedy. Grandma thought this was odd that the dog wasn’t wanting her tea she even tempted  her with all sorts ! But no the dog was curled round his feet while grandad had his nap and would not budge. 

he never woke and had a huge heart attack in his chair ! Obviously screaming  shouting from grandma and lots of coming and going  ensued and dog just sat as close as she could no barking or upset when they took him away dog went for a cuddle with grandma and the off and ate her tea.

Dog didn’t get upset or looked for him and spent the next few years being grandma’s shadow ( looking after her ) the dog passed peacefully curled up in that same spot a few years later.

not sure how they sense these things but they do !

Grandma always says it was the dogs way of seeing him off the way grandad wanted to go ! 

hope you feel better soon centrepin but I am sure having you dogs as heat packs help

Agriv8

They're certainly incredible animals that no matter how long I've worked with have never ceased to surprise and amaze me. I've always said dogs talk better human than we can talk dog. 

When you think about it, it's no wonder they're so good at reading us, of all the billions of different animal species that ever lived on this planet, dogs are the only ones that have evolved to form a symbiotic relationship with humans, they have literally adapted over thousands of years to become man's best friend.