Children’s birthday parties 😭

WalkedUp

We have just hosted my middle son’s birthday party in the local community hall - an experience that must be close to hell.

I ran an egg and spoon race  with eggs the children had decorated, it ended in farce with universal cheating and inability to follow the course. The entertainment that my wife booked (at great expense) was some weird geriatric cabaret act armed with Spinal Tap’s amp and a special skill to clear the room with shrill shrieking, inappropriate music and inane chat. The venue is catered, the food they produced was late and not enough to feed 35 reasonably sized mice let alone 35 hungry children 🤣. All the parents were absolutely lovely and children good sports but once it started going wrong I found it too socially awkward and decided it would have been more enjoyable to have burnt the money rather than ever have another party. Inexplicably the boys loved it but my wife and I have made a truce never to speak of this evening again. Looking forward to a nice whiskey to erase the horrors 🤣🤣🤣.

Walked up - I hope the sharing has reduced the need for further expense in therapy! your account has brought humour  to a situation where grown men can consider ending it all and personal climbing over the gates to see satan himself 

a few years all they want is the latest iPhone ( 14 and 11 years mine ) and access to WhatsApp and utube.

The joys of parenting!

Agriv8

Suffered this hell with my two children many years ago. Born within three days of each other we decided to host a joint party son and daughter hence boys and girls, 6 &8. The mental torment lasted for at least twelve months as we vowed never to repeat the exercise. Birthdays where henceforth celebrated separately, with trips to a local amusement park with three friends maximum and a picnic lunch. I hope your experience is a salutary lesson to all parents on here. Worth a good domestic if the other half disagrees. They will appreciate your stance eventually.

I did something along the same lines for my eldest girls birthday, sorted the entertainment, party hats, jellies etc.  the full hit. She seemed so ungrateful and was NOT at all pleased.................................I expected a bit better reception on her 54th. Birthday    !    🙄

i suffered many of these parties........some of the children that were invited were of the very worst kind............but never came again the next year as they were fed copious ammounts of laxative chocolate and jelly and ice cream sausage rolls trifle etc...etc...etc that took effect with some ferocity in the back of their parents car on the way home..........

Edited by ditchman

Mine are grown up now but I remember with absolute terror the time we booked one at a well known pub chains soft play area.It was gladiatorial from the start.The children whom had individually often been for tea at our house turned into raving psychopaths.All intent on upstanding the birthday child.Parents said they aren't normally like this.The party food was poor,was not at all enough to keep them occupied.It was the first and last one we ever held.