Best shot size for pigeon shooting

jimcorbett

7's and 6's are both perfect but I would dubious about the 'I've been offered bit'

If they are free they are more than perfect

If 1/2 price then yes they are very close to perfect

If priced between 1/2 and full RRP then question where have they been stored and why they are getting sold off as they could be knackered

5 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

I’ve used 28gram 7 / 71/2, 32gram 6,5,4s, all through 1/4 and 1/2 choke and have all been effective on pigeons.

I would agree, as I've used like you an array of carts depending on the weather and where I'm shooting them

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

32 grm of no 2.4 mm should give 385 pellets 

As opposed to  32 grm of no6 (2.6 mm) 

At 335 pellets 

Significant  increase in pattern density (all else  being equal 

Putting it there is the problem not the pellet size:lol:

If you want a denser pattern then shoot a tighter choke.

Hi shooting woodpigeon should be about field craft and confidence. If you don’t have confidence in your gun or cartridges it won’t help your shooting. Shooters can use 14gram in .410 or 36grams in 12gauge to kill pigeons . The BASC commissioned a university to test cartridges using ballistic gel, the US have used it for years, we calculate the energy in ft lb. Hi Ultrastu this may help with patterns for killing pigeons. 

26E4D8DF-8B97-4E90-8977-FC636C6D517B.jpeg

648F56E5-B449-40FC-A4F7-7E470C6E9EB6.jpeg

95732363-7BD8-485B-94AE-EB88FC571CF3.jpeg

These sort of threads is like asking how long is a piece of string ? , is their really one cartridge that is ideal for all types of Pigeon shooting ? , I would say no their isn't , but most cartridges that fit in the breech of a 12 bore will kill Pigeons , like P C , over the years I have used just about every type of 12 bore cartridge you could get your hands on and all of them would kill Pigeons in most circumstances , not ideal for everything but beggers can't be choices , so just go out and enjoy the offer of some cartridges , if you don't like them then I know a man who will :lol:

18 minutes ago, marsh man said:

These sort of threads is like asking how long is a piece of string ? , is their really one cartridge that is ideal for all types of Pigeon shooting ? , I would say no their isn't , but most cartridges that fit in the breech of a 12 bore will kill Pigeons , like P C , over the years I have used just about every type of 12 bore cartridge you could get your hands on and all of them would kill Pigeons in most circumstances , not ideal for everything but beggers can't be choices , so just go out and enjoy the offer of some cartridges , if you don't like them then I know a man who will 

Politely put MM. 

On 05/11/2021 at 07:05, jimcorbett said:

I have been offered some 32g 7s and wonder how they would perform on pigeons as I would normally use 6s. Anyone have experience of using 7s please?

Yes is the easy answer.

I like no7 for decoying- they just pattern better, in my opinion.

Not sure which make they are - however they will be fantastic over decoys, and with tight chokes they would be great for roosting high birds.

Cartridges and guns have come a long way since the test done in the greener book, 1891, but we look for the perfect combination. As said most cartridges fired from 12gauge shotguns will kill pigeons . They just have to be in range and shoot straight . Pigeon shooters tend to look for cheaper cartridges, wildflowers will look for the best combination of cartridges and guns for  a  longer range . If the cartridges kill pigeons then use them, if they wound pigeons then use them for clay pigeons. Shooting pigeons or any quarry should be about a quick kill . When I used a 12gauge with 7shot it killed pigeons.

9 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Cartridges and guns have come a long way since the test done in the greener book, 1891, but we look for the perfect combination. As said most cartridges fired from 12gauge shotguns will kill pigeons . They just have to be in range and shoot straight . Pigeon shooters tend to look for cheaper cartridges, wildflowers will look for the best combination of cartridges and guns for  a  longer range . If the cartridges kill pigeons then use them, if they wound pigeons then use them for clay pigeons. Shooting pigeons or any quarry should be about a quick kill . When I used a 12gauge with 7shot it killed pigeons.

Even the best cartridges that money can buy will wound Pigeons , this will also apply to the best shots in the country , you imagine one of the best shots in the land having a off day , a bad day to him will still hit most of what he aim at but not always in the vital areas , he will also take them at extreme range , again clipping the birds but not killing them .

It don't matter how good the pigeon shooter is at shooting pigeons that he is happy to take on , it the ones he take on outside his comfort zone that course him problems , some he will hit , some he will miss and sadly some will be hit that will end up wounded , this can and do happen with any cartridge used , any choke combination , any gun used and any body pulling the trigger, even Digweed can't kill all that he shoot at , most of yes , but not everything .

Some interesting comments and the common theme. . . . . .  shooting experience / fieldcraft wins over cartridge choice because when most of us started there wasn't much choice so we had to pick the correct bird to shoot at and know when to pull the trigger never mind having to adjust ourselves because the gun didn't even fit ( I used my granddads  ( I'm 6' and he was only 5' and a little bit )