Corroded carts

Hello, I believe this is an off topic thread as about a product issue rather than carts at the moment. 

Recently bought some cartridges off Just Carts, they had a batch of their own brand Xtreme Game 32g 5’s which they advertised for cheap because they forget to print (or ran out of ink whatever) on the cartridges. 

We weren’t worried about the writing not being on the cartridges so happy to have some at a reduced price. 

We have opened them up today, and found that a lot of the cartridges have rusted / corroded heads. 
Some of the boxes look a bit battered as well. 

Would you be happy with this? 

My mate just checked 1 box and 10 out of the 25 have corrosion on the heads. I haven’t opened the other 2 slabs yet. 

5F861B58-D00A-4249-B7F5-AEF933DDA6E7.jpeg

3F6E11E2-CB80-4FDA-90D3-6E96D1349D54.jpeg

Just checked another box. 7 corroded ones in that box. 

I would have no issue with using them, have used corroded carts 25 years old and they went fine.

For long term storage, open up all boxes, Re-box uncorroded carts in dry boxes together, Dremel wire wheel any corroded heads to remove loose rust and wipe all cartride heads with ballistol or 3 in 1 and then Re-box together.

Use corroded carts first.

I am currently using carts that I de-rusted 5 years ago and they are no worse now than when I reboxed them.

No I wouldn't use them. The heads are steel. So any corrosion will have weakened them...OK although that may not be an issue this is. How did they corrode?

Steel corrodes...rusts....when in contact with water or dampness. This may mean the powder is now compromised which may mean a stuck wad.

Now even if we ignore all of that and set to with Mr Dremel I do not want anything with a suggestion of rust inside any of my guns. Rust causes rust. And therefore as far as I'd be concerned they'd be cause to request a refund.

5 minutes ago, harkom said:

If using rusty heads make sure that you clean the breech face and chambers well.

This! See my immediate comments above.

Edited by enfieldspares

52 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

No I wouldn't use them. The heads are steel. So any corrosion will have weakened them...OK although that may not be an issue this is. How did they corrode?

Steel corrodes...rusts....when in contact with water or dampness. This may mean the powder is now compromised which may mean a stuck wad.

Now even if we ignore all of that and set to with Mr Dremel I do not want anything with a suggestion of rust inside any of my guns. Rust causes rust. And therefore as far as I'd be concerned they'd be cause to request a refund.

This! See my immediate comments above.

That’s what I was worried about.

I would expect it maybe with some really old cartridges or second hand ones.

I wouldn’t expect this with brand new cartridges from a major outlet.  

There's  correct caution and then there's  paranoid fear.  That amount of tarnish is neither here or there. The cartridge case only expands to seal the burning gasses from from inside the chamber.  I found a dropped cartridge that had probably been on the ground for possibly a year or two which was really rusty like a crud rust.  I decided to see if it would work and the next time we were throwing a few informal clays I put it in a rough old wet day gun. It went bang the same as you would expect and the clay dissapeared in a puff of dust.  Just clean them off with an oily rag they'll be ok.

28 minutes ago, The Heron said:

They may still work and go bang but would you be happy with a new car with a patch of rust on it it would still drive and work. 

Are the two comparisons really fair? A new car and a few boxes of discounted cartridges?

If I was the OP I’d just use them. I’ve seen much worse in use. 

I have shot lots with small patches of corrosion without problems. Dampness can cause hang fires though and that could be dangerous. I was given some very old cartridges two years ago that started to hang fire or just be blown out of the barrel by the primer. Once dried fully in the airing cupboard those problems disappeared. I would only do that with lead though. I think as we are forced to steel we will need to be extremely careful of shot charges rusting together.  

Just cartridges seem to have a bit of a problem with damp. My son bought 100 black powder 12g. No corrosion but they had obviously been somewhere very damp. The black powder had absorbed the damp "as it does" and the primers were affected. Nine out of ten just would not shoot and if they did they were squibs. Just cartridges immediately replaced them with brand new ones and we kept the damp ones.

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

Just cartridges seem to have a bit of a problem with damp. My son bought 100 black powder 12g. No corrosion but they had obviously been somewhere very damp. The black powder had absorbed the damp "as it does" and the primers were affected. Nine out of ten just would not shoot and if they did they were squibs. Just cartridges immediately replaced them with brand new ones and we kept the damp ones.

My mates cleaned his barrels after using a handful and said they were very dirty, possibly from unburnt / damp powder? 

I have email Just Cartridges, awaiting their reply ... 

16 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

My mates cleaned his barrels after using a handful and said they were very dirty, possibly from unburnt / damp powder? 

I have email Just Cartridges, awaiting their reply ... 

Just be careful! A quick glance down the barrels after each shot.

when i reload steel cartridges i paint the primer pocket and primer with nail varnish  and send it home  the rest with a wipe of Vaseline    two years on im happy to use      no rust despite a barren foreshore trip        any colour nail varnish to seal primers  and wipe Vaseline on    external metal not brass  

Edited by Saltings

On 08/11/2021 at 14:22, DUNKS said:

Just be careful! A quick glance down the barrels after each shot.

That’s the thing, shouldn’t have to be doing that IMO. 

I spoke with Julian at Just Cartridges, and to be fair, be immediately apologised and offered to replace them. 

He is having them picked up and I have swapped them for the equivalent price in Hull High Pheasant Extreme carts. 

Very good customer service, can’t fault them. These things happen but it’s how a company sorts it out that matters to me and Julian has been top notch. 

39 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Very good customer service, can’t fault them. These things happen but it’s how a company sorts it out that matters to me and Julian has been top notch. 

Except that it should never have happened, I still reckon their storage facility is not up to much.