pigeons on rape

mossy835

No pigeon interest whatsoever on the rape here. The few I’ve shot recently all had ivy berries in their crops. One field of rape near me appears to be in flower but when you look closer it is all charlock and will probably be sprayed off.

OB

Not had any berries in the pigeons crops for a few weeks. Acorns and small seeds ,l think the seeds are from the local salt marsh,  but mainly wheat or rape. I saw pigeons, flapping about, on ivy yesterday. They look like they have a leg stuck and can’t get loose. We have a lot of ivy and more pigeons feed on it each year. I leave them when they are feeding on it . I think it’s a bit early for ivy, l will have look today. The local pigeons feed on ivy it’s the best winter food for birds, but along the tree lines it’s a mess it’s like they were eating a curry, very slippery. It seems when pigeons start feeding on rape in large flocks they don’t look for any other food, they just follow the flock.

2 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Not had any berries in the pigeons crops for a few weeks. Acorns and small seeds ,l think the seeds are from the local salt marsh,  but mainly wheat or rape. I saw pigeons, flapping about, on ivy yesterday. They look like they have a leg stuck and can’t get loose. We have a lot of ivy and more pigeons feed on it each year. I leave them when they are feeding on it . I think it’s a bit early for ivy, l will have look today. The local pigeons feed on ivy it’s the best winter food for birds, but along the tree lines it’s a mess it’s like they were eating a curry, very slippery. It seems when pigeons start feeding on rape in large flocks they don’t look for any other food, they just follow the flock.

May I ask whereabouts in the country you are?

OB

My observations of pigeons on rape are as follows. They are not fixed on it yet. Last Saturday I saw 400 on rape at 9am and they haven't been back. Every day this week pigeons have been on a different field from the previous day. 

My only hope for a shot or two on Saturday is a field of stubble turnips. Pigeons are there but I haven't seen any lines in as yet.

Hi  Old Boggy l am in North West Cheshire. More pigeons are on the rape fields today. New pigeons must have arrived as a ( white) woodpigeon was in one of the flocks.  This year they are arriving early  in smaller flocks . More pigeons on stubble fields and wheat drilling, no corvids on the drilling the pigeons are on,  it would be more corvids than pigeons this time of the year.  I didn’t have time today to see if they are feeding on ivy . They start on ivy after the big flocks have started on the rape fields. They could be feeding on ivy now as pigeons are feeding on the rape.

• 2 weeks later...

went out today on the rape,there were hundreds on it this was at 11.00 the wind was blowing hard and they were hard to hit stayed there for 3 hours.i had 25 so not to bad,first went and seen the farmer and he said i have some think for you,and he gave me a slab of 250  carts game vip 32gram 6 shot, not a bad day,

A good day out. Pigeons and cartridges. Are your pigeons feeding solely on rape. The pigeons I shot this week had rape and maze, or ivy berries in there crops. More pigeons are feeding on rape now and some are staying on stubble fields.l thought the stubble fields would be finished by now. Only a few with acorns or small seeds in their crops. Do you decoy or flight your pigeons this time of the year. 

2 hours ago, mossy835 said:

went out today on the rape,there were hundreds on it this was at 11.00 the wind was blowing hard and they were hard to hit stayed there for 3 hours.i had 25 so not to bad,first went and seen the farmer and he said i have some think for you,and he gave me a slab of 250  carts game vip 32gram 6 shot, not a bad day,

That is a good result Mossy.

29 minutes ago, Gas seal said:

A good day out. Pigeons and cartridges. Are your pigeons feeding solely on rape. The pigeons I shot this week had rape and maze, or ivy berries in there crops. More pigeons are feeding on rape now and some are staying on stubble fields.l thought the stubble fields would be finished by now. Only a few with acorns or small seeds in their crops. Do you decoy or flight your pigeons this time of the year. 

there was about 200 on barley about 1" high,so there is some thing on it they like, and about 500 flying from field from field to field.and landing on the rape the wind was keeping them on the move all afternoon.

2"

25 minutes ago, JDog said:

That is a good result Mossy.

yes it was jd