New gun and young dog.

muncher

I have been out fowling a lot this last week, and with a big tide this morning I thought I’d look for a few pigeons to try my new gun out, and give some hide time to my young dog without my older experienced dog. I had a field in mind off fresh drilling, but when I Arrived it was devoid of any quarry. So I went for a drive and found a large number of pigeons on a maize stubble the only problem being the size of the fields, which to chose?  I decided to set up on the flight line on a freshly lifted sugar beet field with my back to the strong wind and sheltered by some thick dyke reeds. I put a rotary out and 8 shell decoys and sat down just before 10 o’clock. I soon had a pigeon coming in and I duly missed it and the next one. I wasn’t shooting well with the new gun. I adjusted my hide and seat and practiced my gun mounts. I started to hit a few and the bag slowly increased. I had misjudged the flight line which now was quite a way to my left and nearer the farm buildings, but I decided not to move. The young dog(Lucy) was sent for the odd bird and retrieved well to hand, even a   few runners as well, she picked with confidence. I started to shoot better and had some nice pairs in the wind curling back. Around 1.30 ish it slowed down and I decided to pack up, I picked up 48 for 115 shots for a nice morning out. 
CEA47954-F922-4B02-BCE0-A747AC395F8B.jpeg.fbb7eafaf8ede5285a2bf91fdebab00c.jpegAF5DE37D-1DAE-4640-B2A7-536F3A4B6FE3.jpeg.2665d50fe155a6fbc9ab5abb09a8c40f.jpeg

4 minutes ago, JDog said:

Well done Muncher.

Have you shot a few Pinks?

Yes I’ve had a few 😁

3 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Very good always good to have a look at what a young dog can do when it’s mates not about 

are you liking the new gun? 
thanks for posting 😊👍

Yes,I need to change the front bead to a small brass one, as the factory one is a big white one and it’s off putting. 

I would be happy shooting that amount in a strong wind with my old gun let alone a new one , things should only get better the more you use it and you should be well satisfied on its maiden day out in the battlefield .

Your pup look well Muncher , how old would she be ? and have she been with you on the salt marsh yet ?

THANKS for sharing .

8 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I would be happy shooting that amount in a strong wind with my old gun let alone a new one , things should only get better the more you use it and you should be well satisfied on its maiden day out in the battlefield .

Your pup look well Muncher , how old would she be ? and have she been with you on the salt marsh yet ?

THANKS for sharing .

Thank MM , she is 15 months old, I got her from Welsh Andy uncle , a long trip to Wales to get her. Yes She has  picked a pink, not intended she ran in on a tide flight when a goose splashed down. I’m taking her to get some experience rather than working her, she needs some more work on directions but the penny is dropping now. 

Edited by muncher