Knife Amnesty locally

JohnfromUK

Picture in local press of the items handed in at a 'knife amnesty'.  Many look to me as 'UK friendly' and many more UK legal for good reason.  A few are non legal looking, but I'm surprised how many good useful and (I think) legal items are being handed in.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/weapons-amnesty-gloucestershire-wake-teenager-6167486

John it's the usual publicity grabbing shot and of course they are taking thousands of dangerous knives off the streets!

I agree with SP, it does look like an airport seizures bins contents.

All very similar to when they hold the pointless gun amnesties, I am aware of several Policemen who moved lots of nice guns on to dealers that never should have been surrendered.

41 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

John it's the usual publicity grabbing shot

It's a "library image from Newcastle" as credit at they bottom, but I'm just surprised that they are showing so many entirely legal and what I would call typical handyman/gardeners knives and some kitchen knives and implying that they are such appalling criminal weapons!

I suppose the truth is that much knife crime is very probably done with a typical kitchen knife anyway!

6 hours ago, Stonepark said:

The only illegal one in that picture is the knuckle duster one, every other can be legally held.... Looks like a stock photo from what has been recovered at airport security

I flew LHR to JNB

JNB to somewhere in the bush

somewhere in the bush to JNB

JNB to CPT

CPT to JNB  then prior to boarding my return to UK had my multitool taken off me that had been in my carry on bag all along

So if as suggested a stock photo from an airport bin wouldnt be surprised to find anything in there - they make it up as they go along depending on whos searching

D

PS before everyone starts going on about global warming and too many flights - it was for wildlife conservation, which I know is not global warming but needed to do it!

5 hours ago, Scully said:

Totally meaningless headline grabbing article, and a totally meaningless exercise which will do nothing to prevent anyone from being stabbed. 
All they serve to do is placate outrage by giving the false impression ‘something’ is being done……until the next time. 

Indeed so. Unfortunately that "something" all too often then ends as further restrictions on law abiding users or owners of such items that affects criminal misuses an abuses not one jot. 

1 minute ago, ShootingEgg said:

To be fair I have an old set of knackered kitchen knives so I should probably hand them in or find a suitable way to get rid. Currently just in the cupboard wrapped in newspaper so we don't cut ourselves

Scrap man will take them. If you hand them in to the rozzers they’ll possibly be added to statistics. 🤷‍♂️

Like Shooting Egg posted above, we had a lot of obsolete/never used kitchen knives and recently decided to dump them.
I contacted the local Police and was advised the accepted method was to wrap them in paper, to make them "safe" and place them in the non recyclable rubbish bin.
This is what I did, but felt uncomfortable as it seemed a bit "unsafe". 
Incidentally, they showed no interest in me handing them in.

I also have a few other fishing knives, pen knives, incl the obligatory swiss knifes, these all sit in a drawer and are no longer used.
I can understand people having a clear out if an amnesty is announced.

Edited by Cranfield

On 08/11/2021 at 11:03, Smokersmith said:

I think there’s a cigar cutter on there also🙄

You've seen the movies, that can be a nasty little finger cutter

On 08/11/2021 at 11:54, Newbie to this said:

They may be legal, doesn't mean they haven't been used to stab someone.

Exactly. The scheme is not to remove dangerous weapons. It's to remove any knife that people feel may be a threat to another human. It's a weapons amnesty, in the form of knives. 

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

Exactly. The scheme is not to remove dangerous weapons. It's to remove any knife that people feel may be a threat to another human. It's a weapons amnesty, in the form of knives. 

Any knife could be construed as a threat to another human. Where do you draw the line short of handing in your cutlery drawer?

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

Not sure I understand that! Haven’t you just contradicted yourself there?