Azeem Rafiq

holloway

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a NHS worker for many years. I have worked with people from around the world and many counties from the UK..

There has always been banter. One Indian nurse who spoke better English than all the white British staff on the ward, would sometimes exaggerate an Indian accent, just for a laugh with staff.  

I know about a handful of Hindi words one of which was Jaldi (Quickness).

I would at times say it. He laughed like a drain, replying, I am a lazy indian.

British regional accent mimicked back and to.

All good fun, never a thought of reporting to senior staff and often continuing onto the social club/ local pub.

I think one or two in ex players, looking for a pay day.

Edited by redial
Error

7 hours ago, redial said:

As a NHS worker for many years. I have worked with people from around the world and many counties from the UK..

There has always been banter. One Indian nurse who spoke better English than all the white British staff on the ward, would sometimes exaggerate an Indian accent, just for a laugh with staff.  

I know about a handful of Hindi words one of which was Jaldi (Quickness).

I would at times say it. He laughed like a drain, replying, I am a lazy indian.

British regional accent mimicked back and to.

All good fun, never a thought of reporting to senior staff and often continuing onto the social club/ local pub.

I think one or two in ex players, looking for a pay day.

Agreed - I have had similar experiences; As an example I worked with a Muslim, and he always joked and 'apologised' for being bad tempered during Ramadan - explaining that he wasn't really cross - just ravenously hungry.  All done with a good chuckle and good humour all round.  That sort of attitude helps all round, and we in return used to try and not mention food/eating!  When Ramadan finished someone made a cake to share with him ....... and laughs all round as well as cake eaten by all.

It's just another Woke farce.  You can call me a white Honky all you like for a few million!  He was there 10 years and was Captain for a time hardly persecuted, he had all the time in the world to complain as it happened but didn't.  Everyone has banter with their mates, it's part of life.  Fat, bald, Asian, White we have all had it.

53 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

It's just another Woke farce.  You can call me a white Honky all you like for a few million!  He was there 10 years and was Captain for a time hardly persecuted, he had all the time in the world to complain as it happened but didn't.  Everyone has banter with their mates, it's part of life.  Fat, bald, Asian, White we have all had it.

I hear your wife used to keep parrots, or was it she had a cockatoo?

Heard you went to Florida with your family, Tampa with the kids?

Is that banter?

Sticks and Stones, we have all had banter it's part of life.  If he truly felt insulted he should have complained at the time or stuck one on the person insulting him.  The world has gone mad suing for huge amounts of money for petty name calling.  He played for them for 10 years some of those as captain over two seperate periods, it can't have been that unbearable but play the race card when your careers nearly over and hit the Jackpot.

Edited by Weihrauch17

42 minutes ago, walshie said:

No. Family are off limits in banter so not a good example.

Just words get a grip even if they are true, AFAIK the report hasn't been published.  I had my nose broken and teeth knocked out by a gang of Asians for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, just going for a Pizza.  Police said to me at the time we know who they are you are iucky you weren't stabbed and if I wanted to take things further my family would be under threat.  No desire to prosecute from the Police at all.  That is the state of this country.  That was a week before the riots in Burnley in 2001. 

Edited by Weihrauch17

Banter is part of life in predominently male environments. Police/ army/navy/ etc its merciless

My late friend Phil often said people with ginger hair should think twice about joining the RAF. But he loved the RAF despite the banter

lets not just dismiss banter as irrelevent to the debate. If they are bantering with you its a good sign you are accepted and expected to return as good as you get

I think the trouble here is that there was no apology, or recognition of the effect it caused. Then Yorks compounded it by having an enquiry, admitting the abuse, but then decided nothing needed to be done because of it and tried to sweep it all under the carpet in redacted reports and NDA's. 

The real issue is not so much the racism it’s the fact that Yorkshire thought that they were above the law and could what they wanted, largely ignoring the outcomes of an investigation. I’m a dyed in the wool Yorkshireman and feel that my club should be brought into the twenty first century

These sum up the problem. 

35 minutes ago, henry d said:

So the line has to be drawn somewhere, which is what I was getting to with weihrauch

But that's not how it works in this country, the line has very clearly been drawn closer for some people than others, based on race or other "protected characteristics" which I believe is very unhelpful in helping people get along. There's no better way of creating arguments and resentment than giving privilege to one person and not the other, especially when the deciding factor is the colour of your skin. I'd go so far as to call that racism. 

A bit of an own goal today from Rafiq. Joe Root was interviewed and said he could not recall instances of racism. To which Rafiq responded

"Disappointed is not even the feeling. Incredibly hurt. But uncomfortable truths are hard to accept it seems."

Except that's not all that Root said!

When asked if he saw it, Root responded "Not that I can recall, no... but it's clear things have happened at the club." He also said that the racism scandal at his county side has "fractured [the] game and torn lives apart" and went on to say:

"I just want the sport to be a place where everyone is enjoying it for the beautiful game it is and feels equal and safe...We need to educate, unify and reset. I want to see change and actions that will see Yorkshire County Cricket Club rise from this with a culture that harnesses a diverse environment with trust across all communities that support cricket in the county."

What does Rafiq want Root to do, lie for him to make the point? Instead Root's told the truth and been very supportive of the need for change. A pretty stupid move to claim to be upset by someone being so supportive...

Very very disappointed with Yorkshire CC.  For a while I thought they were going to stand resolute against the intense media pressure but no, they held for a while then crumbled. Mass resignations, suspensions, new chairman etc.  very poor but I suppose understandable, one man bringing a great institution to its knees aided and abetted by a rabid media (BBC).  

42 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Very very disappointed with Yorkshire CC.  For a while I thought they were going to stand resolute against the intense media pressure but no, they held for a while then crumbled. Mass resignations, suspensions, new chairman etc.  very poor but I suppose understandable, one man bringing a great institution to its knees aided and abetted by a rabid media (BBC).  

Couldn't agree more.

I would still like to hear or see exactly what was said with the evidence in the independent enquiry ,has anyone else ,then I can make my own mind up .

Where can we see it ? 

Surely common sense tells us that Yorkshire cc cannot be institutionally racist if he was given a contract by them twice and was made captain at one time just how does that work then ? I must be absolutely thick because I just don't get it.

This has turned into a proper bun fight now. A few weeks ago, Gary Ballance apologised publicly for any offensive language he used towards Rafiq.  Now Rafiq's come out to say that Yorkshire helped Ballance skip drug tests and keep his drug and alcohol issues private. Ballance has categorically denied any of this.

Meanwhile Tim Bresnan's been dragged into it as well. Once again, he's already apologised for using any language that Rafiq found offensive. Rafiq's called this just lip service and that Bresnan's behaviour led him to having 'suicidal thoughts'. Bresnan has of course denied that he 'frequently made racist comments'. 

Rafiq seems to have declared open season on any name he happens to come across connected to Yorkshire. 

I'm waiting for him to name Katherine Brunt as a racist co-conspirator, at which point the LGBTQ+ will get involved and we'll have a proper lefty PR nightmare...