Will We Ever See the Swamp Drained (Owen Paterson)

TIGHTCHOKE

We elect these politicians and then they seem to forget they are public servants!

Owen Paterson took money to lobby on behalf of businesses, was caught out and denied it.

The row then broke out when he was to be suspended from Parliament for 30 days and he stressed his challenge was because he was not allowed to appeal the decision.

Strange that he was allowed to vote on the decision considering he was the accused. Paterson has since resigned, sadly it took him far too long.

The Government then decided to change the process and just got that through its readings and vote.

Then the fallout started, a massive protest and the Government conducted another U turn.

The Parliamentary Standards Committee is toothless, effectively MPs judging MPs, so badly in need of reform.

The latest suggestion is to form a panel of ex Judges to oversee the system, they are so far removed from real life as to be museum exhibits.

Sadly I feel we get the politicians we deserve, it used to be an honour to represent your constituency, now it is just a way to get on the "gravy train".

Yesterday it was revealed that Theresa May our pointless ex Prime Minister has declared her earnings for on line speaking during lockdown of £750000. I commend her for declaring the money, but feel it should not be allowed.

If the average person was to conduct themselves in this way, their employers would sack them as they cannot be doing their prime work whilst earning money at a second job.

It really is time to take these people and give them a damned good shake to make them wake up and do the job they are employed to do.

Greedy ********.

Does anyone have a short list of names of worthy MPS?

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
CAPITALISATION!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the list of the piggies at the trough:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2021/11/08/the-30-mps-who-rake-in-thousands-with-second-jobs-as-consultants-15561454/amp/

Look down the list to keep a tally of the parties. Or should I say party. Of the 30 only one Labour MP is on the list and one Lib Dem. That Lib Dem uses the money in the care for his disabled son, which depending upon the exact use of the cash seems acceptable. Paul Maynard, Tory, all of his earning is paid directly to charity. Take a bow son, at least one honourable man. That leaves 27 sleazy Tories, much to my shock. 

47 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

This is the list of the piggies at the trough:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2021/11/08/the-30-mps-who-rake-in-thousands-with-second-jobs-as-consultants-15561454/amp/

Look down the list to keep a tally of the parties. Or should I say party. Of the 30 only one Labour MP is on the list and one Lib Dem. That Lib Dem uses the money in the care for his disabled son, which depending upon the exact use of the cash seems acceptable. Paul Maynard, Tory, all of his earning is paid directly to charity. Take a bow son, at least one honourable man. That leaves 27 sleazy Tories, much to my shock. 

The list also seems to miss out those MPs that are paid sponsored by the unions I believe.

20 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Former Conservative attorney general that works one week of every month in a big legal practice whilst still employed by the state as an MP, impressive that he can still take care of his constituents’ needs. 

Yes, but during lockdown he worked in the British Virgin Islands earning a reputed £1m and voting in Parliament by proxy.

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

To quote/paraphrase Billy Connolly " Anyone that wants to be a politician, should be immediately barred from politics. Dont vote, it just encourages them".

Perfect - sums it all up.   Politics is one of those 'useless job'  things where there is little or no useful output/end result.  No one is in the least bit surprised either.   As I've got older I've come to realise that single party systems like China has -  have a point - the whole thing is mostly an administrative function.   The same things occur of course as 'Power corrupts - absolute power corrupts absolutely' so those at the top do well out of it and survive unless found out - those that don't like it/complain are brutally crushed.

5 hours ago, Scully said:

I get the impression we go round in circles. Labour are voted in because folk get tired of Tory sleaze, the economy goes tits up, so after a while the tories are voted back in, then after a few years they show their sleazy side, and labour are voted back in……adinfinitum. 

Ah you see that's where you're wrong! Soon the might of the Liberal Democrats led by...whats-his-name...will sweep all before them and storm to power in a mighty demonstration of third party politics! They'll lead us all into a pro-brexit, Euro-supporting promised land of green freedom and opportunity! It'll happen!

Or not. They sent a flyer through the door the other day. The top half was about Tory incompetence from the County Council. The bottom half was a story that the LibDems had secured a clean up for a roundabout - led by that same council they'd just accused of being incompetent. Probably not a good idea to point out the accomplishments of the party you hope to overthrow on your own propaganda. They're comically inept sometimes.

5 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Ah you see that's where you're wrong! Soon the might of the Liberal Democrats led by...whats-his-name...will sweep all before them and storm to power in a mighty demonstration of third party politics! They'll lead us all into a pro-brexit, Euro-supporting promised land of green freedom and opportunity! It'll happen!

Or not. They sent a flyer through the door the other day. The top half was about Tory incompetence from the County Council. The bottom half was a story that the LibDems had secured a clean up for a roundabout - led by that same council they'd just accused of being incompetent. Probably not a good idea to point out the accomplishments of the party you hope to overthrow on your own propaganda. They're comically inept sometimes.

Yes all 13 of them!  :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We elect these politicians and then they seem to forget they are public servants!

Owen Paterson took money to lobby on behalf of businesses, was caught out and denied it.

The row then broke out when he was to be suspended from Parliament for 30 days and he stressed his challenge was because he was not allowed to appeal the decision.

Strange that he was allowed to vote on the decision considering he was the accused. Paterson has since resigned, sadly it took him far too long.

The Government then decided to change the process and just got that through its readings and vote.

Then the fallout started, a massive protest and the Government conducted another U turn.

The Parliamentary Standards Committee is toothless, effectively MPs judging MPs, so badly in need of reform.

The latest suggestion is to form a panel of ex Judges to oversee the system, they are so far removed from real life as to be museum exhibits.

Sadly I feel we get the politicians we deserve, it used to be an honour to represent your constituency, now it is just a way to get on the "gravy train".

Yesterday it was revealed that Theresa May our pointless ex Prime Minister has declared her earnings for on line speaking during lockdown of £750000. I commend her for declaring the money, but feel it should not be allowed.

If the average person was to conduct themselves in this way, their employers would sack them as they cannot be doing their prime work whilst earning money at a second job.

It really is time to take these people and give them a damned good shake to make them wake up and do the job they are employed to do.

Greedy ********.

Does anyone have a short list of names of worthy MPS?

Jesus it took long enough to work that one out, back in the 1960 s North Sea oil( our oil) was sold off to highest bidders, government spokesman said "the oil is of poor quality" this little piggy got a brown envelope, there's a hell of a lot of (oil) water gone under the bridge since then 

1 hour ago, Cosmicblue said:

Perfect - sums it all up.   Politics is one of those 'useless job'  things where there is little or no useful output/end result.  No one is in the least bit surprised either.   As I've got older I've come to realise that single party systems like China has -  have a point - the whole thing is mostly an administrative function.   The same things occur of course as 'Power corrupts - absolute power corrupts absolutely' so those at the top do well out of it and survive unless found out - those that don't like it/complain are brutally crushed.

I cannot support/vote for any of them SNP to Tory, I know this negates me from having an opinion about the politics of the UK, so be it, Life is too short to worry about something you can't change

Edited by islandgun

Tories - a sleazy bunch.

Labour - anti semites, criminals.

Lib Debs - halfwits.

Greens - bigger halfwits.

Sadly you have to choose. Do you go for the sleazy bunch, who got us out of the EU and are passable economists or the Jewish hating, bankrupt the country lot? The rest aren't even worth a mention.

6 hours ago, Scully said:

I get the impression we go round in circles. Labour are voted in because folk get tired of Tory sleaze, the economy goes tits up, so after a while the tories are voted back in, then after a few years they show their sleazy side, and labour are voted back in……adinfinitum. 

Just, seemingly a never ending rotation of porcine creatures around an overflowing trough?

Little wonder we are nearing 3rd world status?

6 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Just surprised not to see anti-shooting Conservative MP Stuart Andrew’s nose in the foodbag, there will be some old granny’s money in his pocket from LACS no doubt. 

Plenty of cash seemingly, to push off balance policy?

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Tories - a sleazy bunch.

Labour - anti semites, criminals.

Lib Debs - halfwits.

Greens - bigger halfwits.

Sadly you have to choose. Do you go for the sleazy bunch, who got us out of the EU and are passable economists or the Jewish hating, bankrupt the country lot? The rest aren't even worth a mention.

Very true , and very very depressing.