Turning car batteries and 2x4s into ammo.

Broke down a car battery and got the lead, smoked a 2x4pine board into charcoal, got some KNO3 and sulfur from the garden supply.  Little time and it is working pretty good.  Definitely dirtier the the store bought blackpowder but I can make it cheap as dirt.  Next I might try to extract my KNO3 from my chicken coop to basically make it free.  5HdB213.jpg

zGI81zZ.jpg

lE9W6zo.jpg

I shot it out of 45colt, 410, and my flintlock so far with good luck 

I also want to try to extract dextrose from corn to make it burn faster. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

Great stuff !

Wouldnt work here unfortunately, Potassium Nitrate is restricted, and possession of black powder requires an explosive licence, plus there are likely laws that prevent you from making your own.(terrorism laws ?)
Plus once/if  you manage to make a cartridge, you need to be licenced for that calibre.

21 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Wouldnt work here unfortunately, Potassium Nitrate is restricted, and possession of black powder requires an explosive licence, plus there are likely laws that prevent you from making your own.(terrorism laws ?)
Plus once/if  you manage to make a cartridge, you need to be licenced for that calibre.

Would it not? I've often wondered about the legality of making your own black powder if you have a black powder licence. Owning a few acres of alder, one of the best gun powder charcoal woods, helps.

On the other hand, as someone who casts a fair few round balls and bullets, I though using lead from a battery was not recommended? Did you have any problems @NoBodyImportant

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Broke down a car battery and got the lead, smoked a 2x4pine board into charcoal, got some KNO3 and sulfur from the garden supply.  Little time and it is working pretty good.  Definitely dirtier the the store bought blackpowder but I can make it cheap as dirt.  Next I might try to extract my KNO3 from my chicken coop to basically make it free.  5HdB213.jpg

zGI81zZ.jpg

lE9W6zo.jpg

I shot it out of 45colt, 410, and my flintlock so far with good luck 

I also want to try to extract dextrose from corn to make it burn faster. 

your so lucky what you can do over there.

25 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Would it not? I've often wondered about the legality of making your own black powder if you have a black powder licence. Owning a few acres of alder, one of the best gun powder charcoal woods, helps.

On the other hand, as someone who casts a fair few round balls and bullets, I though using lead from a battery was not recommended? Did you have any problems @NoBodyImportant

I didn’t, but I’m just a guy that is reading internet stuff and will probably injure myself.  I don’t recommend taking my advice as I reserve the right to be wrong on everything I say. 

53 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Great stuff !

We can make up to 50lbs of blackpowder  per batch tax free.  We can use it in firearms and cannons tax free.  But if you want to put it in a explosive device like a pipebomb or hand grenade  as some do for stump removal or rock basting you have to pay the explosives tax or you can get a manufacture license witch is a flat $500 a year.  So I just keep it well under 50lbs and tax free. 

40 minutes ago, Windswept said:

I would love to get my hands on some alder to try.  I can still find BP on the shelves but at double the price it was pre Covid.  But it’s fun to go back to the old ways. Plus if I can get the Kno3 from the dirt it’s practically free to shoot.   Kinda like flint napping.  It’s still fun to hit a raccoon with a stone arrow head. 

10 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

We can make up to 50lbs of blackpowder  per batch tax free.  We can use it in firearms and cannons tax free.  But if you want to put it in a explosive device like a pipebomb or hand grenade  as some do for stump removal or rock basting you have to pay the explosives tax or you can get a manufacture license witch is a flat $500 a year.  So I just keep it well under 50lbs and tax free. 

I know at the cannon festivals you will have a cannon owner and 12 friends show up with 49lbs of gunpowder a piece.  Just incase the Tax man swings through.  

In the sixties an elderly neighbour used to make his own fireworks with gun cotton. I remember he burned his hands with it when making them. He would put some on a anvil behind the shed and we would hit it with a hammer, when it went of it was a loud bang. I think he used it behind the pellet in his air gun. 

Remember  Remember the 5th of November. That was a week ago now and you'll recall how that guy ended up.!!  I was only saying to a mate the other day that if prices and shortages continue as they have then we'll have to go back to black (no racial slur here) powder and flint. Potassium Nitrate from the toilet facility. 😊😊😊😊  it takes on a new interpretation of shot to.... by chicken ......

Edited by Minky