Remembrance Poppies

peck

I see a lot people on telly wearing poppies other than the traditional poppy that is made by the British Legion and am wondering if the producers of the non traditional poppies make any sort of contribution to the RBL for using the traditional design of poppy. I know that the traditional poppy is not trademarked or copy writen. Does anyone know if any sort of donation is made to the RBL?.

Edited by peck

14 minutes ago, peck said:

I see a lot people on telly wearing poppies other than the traditional poppy that is made by the British Legion and am wondering if the producers of the non traditional poppies make any sort of contribution to the RBL for using the traditional design of poppy. I know that the traditional poppy is not trademarked or copy writen. Does anyone know if any sort of donation is made to the RBL?.

The red poppy is actually trademarked by the RBL

1 minute ago, welsh1 said:

The red poppy is actually trademarked by the RBL

That's interesting, so makers of these "other " poppies must have to get a licence from the RBL. I wonder how many actually do. I see these other poppies all over the place for sale.

I also see steel cut outs of Tommies with rifles around the place, who thinks these producers and sellers should be making some sort of contribution.

12 minutes ago, peck said:

That's interesting, so makers of these "other " poppies must have to get a licence from the RBL. I wonder how many actually do. I see these other poppies all over the place for sale.

I also see steel cut outs of Tommies with rifles around the place, who thinks these producers and sellers should be making some sort of contribution.

At this time of year they all come out of the woodwork jumping on the fact that people want to support but do not realise that poppy off ebay doesn't contribute anything to the welfare of Veterans or their families.
It would just cost to much to take them all to court.

I wear a 're-usable' poppy - a small enamelled lapel badge, and I have several 'traditional' poppies retained form previous years.  The re-usable was bought from RBL website a few years ago.  When the collector comes round, I make the usual donation, but don't take a fresh poppy.

Incidentally, the little RBL poppy is nicely made and rather less prone to damage (e.g. getting water damaged etc.) on outdoor days.

IMG_2986.jpeg

17 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I wear a 're-usable' poppy - a small enamelled lapel badge, and I have several 'traditional' poppies retained form previous years.  The re-usable was bought from RBL website a few years ago.  When the collector comes round, I make the usual donation, but don't take a fresh poppy.

Incidentally, the little RBL poppy is nicely made and rather less prone to damage (e.g. getting water damaged etc.) on outdoor days.

IMG_2986.jpeg

That’s a tidy little thing. Think I may get one. 
I always buy the paper ones, one for each member in the household, but don’t always remember to wear it. 
A little lapel badge such as that  ( more likely to be stuck in my hat ) I could just leave in. 

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

IMG_2986.jpeg

Been wearing one of these since they came out. I do buy a new one each year with the date on it, and special anniversary ones like the 100 years of the RBL this year.

I think the small ones are £2.50 but I aways chuck a £10 note in for each one bought.

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

I do buy a new one each year with the date on it

Yes, I think that they got wise to the undated ones!  Not sure they do them any more. 

I do give to the collector though and last year (as there were no local collectors) I gave on line (direct to RBL) instead.

I was discussing the metal dated poppies this morning with my nurse while she took blood.

She told me that one outlet was charging £2 for a 2021 but you could have a 2020 for £1.

As other have stated, it would be good to think everyone making a profit sent a proportion to RBL.

On 09/11/2021 at 21:11, samboy said:

Youtube Jim Davidson and poppies. Makes you wonder.

I am with you on this one samboy, I was under the impression that all the proceeds of poppy sales and tin collections , apart from administration costs, was used to support causes.

As you say, if Jim Davidsons comments accurately describe the actual use of the public's donations, I for one, will be thinking twice about making donations in the future.  

On 09/11/2021 at 20:37, welsh1 said:

At this time of year they all come out of the woodwork jumping on the fact that people want to support but do not realise that poppy off ebay doesn't contribute anything to the welfare of Veterans or their families.

Arguably you don’t wear a poppy for that reason, you wear a poppy to show respect to those who laid down their life. My Great Uncle wore the same poppy year on year, he was a frugal man, but very respecting to those who, of this generation, didn’t survive the war. 

On 09/11/2021 at 20:37, welsh1 said:

This sort of nonsense? I asked one prominent seller on Amazon or eBay etc., how much actually was given to RBL and other similar. I think it was less than 5%.

817DDgUfQcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My wife bought mine this year, very good of her. She also bought hers along with other bits.

A favourite is the reflective red poppies on a snap faster for key rings etc.

Great as a extra visible dog tag or on a set of keys, have gave them to other dog owners in past years.

17 hours ago, zipdog said:

Arguably you don’t wear a poppy for that reason, you wear a poppy to show respect to those who laid down their life. My Great Uncle wore the same poppy year on year, he was a frugal man, but very respecting to those who, of this generation, didn’t survive the war. 

I totally agree.

I served and remember people we have lost