Poor woman victim of animal mob

WalkedUp

59 minutes ago, Scully said:

It wasn’t a fat bloke in a vest though, or someone losing it with a shotgun.
You can make all the comparisons you like, but none have any relevance to it. 
It can only be judged for what it is. 
Like I’ve said, I’m not defending her at all, simply trying to keep a modicum of rationality about it all. 

Was she involved in an illegal hunt, or a legal trail hunt? 
If the latter then your first paragraph has no relevance. 

The point is public reflection and how it looks on your sport, isn't it funny we were only talking about that on another thread a few of weeks ago where several people attempted to rubbish me and here we are not a month later and it's the second widely published incident involving a hunt. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

The point is public reflection and how it looks on your sport, isn't it funny we were only talking about that on another thread a few of weeks ago where several people attempted to rubbish me and here we are not a month later and it's the second widely published incident involving a hunt. 

Oh please! You’re involved in a ‘sport’ which entails the killing of stuff for fun, the same as any other field sports. Do you really believe the public perception of your ‘sport’ could get any worse? 
How do you reply if asked ‘why do you shoot stuff!’ Do you tell them the truth or do you try to dress it up as some sort of noble act of conservation or pest control? 

4 hours ago, Scully said:

Oh please! You’re involved in a ‘sport’ which entails the killing of stuff for fun, the same as any other field sports. Do you really believe the public perception of your ‘sport’ could get any worse? 
How do you reply if asked ‘why do you shoot stuff!’ Do you tell them the truth or do you try to dress it up as some sort of noble act of conservation or pest control? 

I agree, I shoot animals because I enjoy it, although I personally don't shoot anything that doesn't need shooting these days, although I have no issues with pheasant or grouse shooting ect. 

I disagree, many of the public aren't half as daft as your post suggests and understand shooting is necessary, neither are most against us, which is the polar opposite for hunting with hounds, not to mention its also illegal. 

The point is, if the woman who lost control had been a shooter I'd condemn her for bringing our sport into disrepute and regardless of who she is or what she does her actions were out of order. 

Even if our sports perception is as bad as you suggest (which I strongly disagree with) what's your point? It's bad anyway so let's all act like idiots? That wouldnt make sense! 

One small point is i gather the pictures/video of this incident was taken and published by some antis.i in no way condone her action but all i will say is these antis are not only out at hunts i would bet they are to be seen at various other demonstrations and protests and will be among those throwing objects at police and also at the police horses that are there to try to control the mob.

25 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

One small point is i gather the pictures/video of this incident was taken and published by some antis.i in no way condone her action but all i will say is these antis are not only out at hunts i would bet they are to be seen at various other demonstrations and protests and will be among those throwing objects at police and also at the police horses that are there to try to control the mob.

Very true, it goes without saying, some of these antis are the most hypothetical, nasty and violent people going. 

7 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I agree, I shoot animals because I enjoy it, although I personally don't shoot anything that doesn't need shooting these days, although I have no issues with pheasant or grouse shooting ect. 

I disagree, many of the public aren't half as daft as your post suggests and understand shooting is necessary, neither are most against us, which is the polar opposite for hunting with hounds, not to mention its also illegal. 

The point is, if the woman who lost control had been a shooter I'd condemn her for bringing our sport into disrepute and regardless of who she is or what she does her actions were out of order. 

Even if our sports perception is as bad as you suggest (which I strongly disagree with) what's your point? It's bad anyway so let's all act like idiots? That wouldnt make sense! 

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Personally I think you’re living in cloud cuckoo land if you believe the general public would agree with killing things for entertainment, especially if the same emotive language was applied to shooting as was, and still is, applied to hunting. 
Hunting has never really got its act together to present a cohesive reason for what it does, and shooting has just as many idiots damaging its already tenuous reputation as does hunting. 
You keep harping on about the illegality of hunts, but they aren’t illegal. I have no doubt that if this woman has a case to answer then the RSPCA or some other cause will push for it.
She has acted like an idiot considering she had an audience, but I’m assuming the police aren’t interested as she’s done nothing illegal. 

9 hours ago, Scully said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Personally I think you’re living in cloud cuckoo land if you believe the general public would agree with killing things for entertainment, especially if the same emotive language was applied to shooting as was, and still is, applied to hunting. 
Hunting has never really got its act together to present a cohesive reason for what it does, and shooting has just as many idiots damaging its already tenuous reputation as does hunting. 
You keep harping on about the illegality of hunts, but they aren’t illegal. I have no doubt that if this woman has a case to answer then the RSPCA or some other cause will push for it.
She has acted like an idiot considering she had an audience, but I’m assuming the police aren’t interested as she’s done nothing illegal. 

Couple of points in your post, when I say hunting with hounds is illegal, I mean hunting fox with hounds is illegal, do you honestly believe that hunts hunting fox under the guise of drag hunting isn't still widespread, because if you do I think your living in cloud cuckoo land? 

A major difference between the shooting community and the hunts, (and I'm speaking generally here) the shooting community is probably one of the most law abiding communities there is, yes it has its problems, poaching, killing of bop ect does go on but its a tiny minority breaking the law. I can't say the same for the hunts. 

Shooting is necessary for food production, conservation and land management, hunting with hounds isn't, yes I also enjoy shooting, but if I didn't do it others would have to, the hunt doesn't have a cohesive reason for what it does other than an enjoyable sport, the public has made very clear they don't want it, that's why it's now banned, its not coming back legally whatever anyone thinks of it. There are fundamental differences and that's why I keep "harping on about it". 

Many of the hunts do themselves no favours, I have witnessed many different incidents, trespassing on land abusing the farmer who challenged them, damaging another landowners fencing, leaving gates open that livestock would have escaped from, illegal hunting, telling a dog walker to leave a public woods as his dog might not be safe. I also have many friends who shoot and a game keeper who can recount awful behaviour by the hunts in their areas. 

If the shooting community behaved like that, I honestly believe we wouldnt have a sport either. I honestly believe the hunts were only allowed to continue for as long as they did due to connections with wealthy and powerful people and politicians. 

I could go on and on about this subject but your first line is correct. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. Like I've said before, you make some excellent points and reading your posts over the years I have upmost respect for you 👍